Dumb ass engineer screws up og xbox pls help (the shame)

If you need any help with XBMC4XBOX, such as installing or using the software, please post it in here.
masterbateson71

Dumb ass engineer screws up og xbox pls help (the shame)

Post by masterbateson71 »

Im quite embarassed to have to admit this, but im finding some of this modding stuff quite difficult dispite being an electrical/electronic engineer and have worked as a technician a various roles for over 30 years.
Maybe its my age?

I have got myself in a jam, I wanted to remove xbmc emustation and go back to unleash (sorry) but i was struggling to get emustation to work.
Ive ended up with the Fatal error msg.

Further more prior to this, i have been struggling to make a ISO image of extras disc.

everytime ive downloaded it from git hub 613mb, when i try to unzip it i get an error msg from winzip?
also if i try to make an ISO image and open zip file with imgburn or similar the folder appears to be empty?

what am i doing wrong?

from the XBMC Fatal error screen, can i just drag and drop something to rescue this from pcp using FTP client.

I want to weep!!!! :oops:
Paul B aka Masterbateson
drageset

Re: Dumb ass engineer screws up og xbox pls help (the shame)

Post by drageset »

No need to be embarrassed. What's easy for you is probably tricky for me.
Do you have a modchipped/TSOPed Xbox, or is it a softmod?
If it's a modchipped/TSOPed one you should be able to boot easily from a setup disc, so let's get you sorted out on burning the CD/DVD.
- First, I recommend you stay away from using Winzip (That's probably a big give-away of your age, the fact you're still using Winzip ;) ). Use a free alternative like 7-zip when unpacking zip/rar-files.
- Now, the best setup disc these days seems to be OGXBox Installer 2021 - v1.5.4, although it might be a bit overkill for what you need. Anyway, download it (Google is your friend for finding it), I'm sure you'll find it useful.
- Extract "OGXBox Installer 2021 - v1.5.4.rar" using 7-zip (https://www.7-zip.org/download.html)
- Once extracted you can burn the ISO-file to a DVD using in-built features of Windows 11 (Right-click on the file, Show More Options, Burn Disc Image). If you don't have Windows 11, use ImgBurn as previously. Just make sure you're not trying to make an ISO-file, you're simply writing/burning the pre-made one (https://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=s ... s#isowrite)

Boot your Xbox with the newly burned DVD (it's going to take some time for it to load), and select menu option 4.3.3 to install Unleash-X as your default dashboard.

Hope this helps.
masterbateson71

Thanks very much for the reply/info.

I have 7zip and winrar also/already, despite my decrepit age :lol:

Just found out there is a slight fly in my ointment, in as much as when i fished out my laptops DVD drive, i found out its only a ROM :roll:

so untill i can sort something out I cant burn a disc.

I was kinda hoping I could FTP the missing files to the HDD or boot from my Memory stick, i was hoping like when ive recovered a pc b4 using a recovery image on a usb drive.
Guess Xbob doesnt play like that.

suppose im going to have to find somewhere to burn a disc, annoying thing is Ive several old full size dvd re writers kicking about in the attic.

Thanks again for help, will sort disc out 1st b4 i try anything else.
cheers
MrB
masterbateson71

Just thought I'd add some other info.
Preety sure i know exactly how this happened.
was in emustation at time and wanted to go back to using unleash.

Before i did this i went online to see how i could do this, and read a post which suggested it was as easy as deleting the emustation folder.

I was a bit sceptical, and also worried as i was already in emustation, and thought (if i delete this folder is it not going to cause me any probs??)
seems i was right to worry about this.

I thought it would be possible to swap between emustation and another dashboard?
bit like dual boot?