How to stop MS Dashboard from auto launching game in DVD Drive

If you need any help with XBMC4XBOX, such as installing or using the software, please post it in here.
thisisbigboss

How to stop MS Dashboard from auto launching game in DVD Drive

Post by thisisbigboss »

Hi All. Greetings! My first post here :D

I have a softmodded Xbox and would like to find some way so whenever the MS Dashboard is launched, it doesn't auto play the game in the DVD drive and just ignores it and lets me use its functions.
I have turned all auto play settings off in XBMC dashboard which is my default dashboard. But sometimes I need to go to MS Dashboard or modded MS Dashboard like one I got from Rocky 5. They both adamently launch the game and if the disc is not an Xbox recognised disc, they will throw an error that the disc is not Xbox identifiable and eject it to continue. You cant bypass that unless you Eject. I need to have a disc in there as my DVD tray gets stuck if no disc is inside.

Second question, how can I make any dashboard my default dashboard at startup.

Finally, where do I backup the all important EEPROM bin file and why is it important to back up.

Many thanks
XX
Coldly-Indifferent

Re: How to stop MS Dashboard from auto launching game in DVD Drive

Post by Coldly-Indifferent »

AFAIK there is nothing you can do about that MS dash behaviour at least not with a softmod. I'm not sure about a TSOP though as you're replacing the MS Retail dash BIOS with a custom BIOS and it may be possible to edit the autoplay function on/off. It may be possible with a chip too.

I'm also wondering what happens if you use a No DVD check BIOS.

In short I'm not certain if you can do what you want.

But in general autoplay is a useful facility because being able to cold boot an installer/recovery disc or game is a valuable tool.

I understand your problem I had much the same thing with a Samsung DVD drive which could not be resolved any other way than by keeping a disc in the tray. What I used was a blank DVD-R but the Xbox would still try to read it and do that at least three times before deciding to boot to the main dash. That makes initial boot and reboots painfully slow.

Q: How can I make any dashboard my default dashboard at startup?
A: What does it do now? Do you get a choice of dashboards? If so it sounds as if you might have the XSelect tool running which is used for just that purpose ie. giving you a dash board choice.

Q: Where do I backup the all important EEPROM bin file and why is it important to back up?
A: The eeprom backup tool is really just a modified EvoX (EvolutionX) dash. Most softmod installer discs included it and if you have EvoX installed as an app you can use it directly. Its default save location is not intuitive when using an installer disc but in generally it will be to the E:\UDATA\2158554\000000000....... folder ie. the softmod installer 'game' save. When you're given a choice its better to use the Move To E option. That will usually put it in E:\Backup\Eeprom.

EvoX itself will default save it to its own location "backup" folder eg. E:\EvoX\backup. But like an installer, depending on the evox.ini, it might provide an alternative save location to, E:\, F:\ or G:\backup

Its important to backup the eeprom and back that up to PC, particularly when your Xbox is softmodded. In fact its pretty pointless if you do not back it up to PC. Why? Simple: the retail state Xbox and consequently softmodded Xbox too have their HDDs locked to the MB. They won't work otherwise. The eeprom is effectively the key which allows you to lock and unlock it.

Why would you want to do that? Well if your softmod corrupts or HDD dies you're in a pickle. Having the eeprom gives you more recovery options.