Random Video Drop-outs (HD)

If you need any help with XBMC4XBOX, such as installing or using the software, please post it in here.
DonSaffadu

Re: Random Video Drop-outs (HD)

Post by DonSaffadu »

poshea wrote:7 xboxs! Wow :P Well it's good to know there are PAL systems running NTSC in HD and working normally without dropouts. I'll try running the xbox from a different power source to see if it helps. I just don't understand why it would glitch running NTSC system but not PAL. Why would a power surge effect it in one mode and not the other? If you switched your problem xbox to PAL, I wonder if it would still glitch when you turn on your pinball machine...

Unfortunately doesn't seem to be anyone local selling the component cables at the moment here in Australia on eBay. Only international dealers in Hong Kong or Uk from what I've seen... I'll have to wait the 4 weeks to get another one posted to try...

Maybe because pal runs at 50 hz and NTSC is 60?? or the power board may be different in some way as we god different power adapters in the wall(i don't know how it's called!xD)
bigkidoz

Post by bigkidoz »

DonSaffadu wrote:
poshea wrote:7 xboxs! Wow :P Well it's good to know there are PAL systems running NTSC in HD and working normally without dropouts. I'll try running the xbox from a different power source to see if it helps. I just don't understand why it would glitch running NTSC system but not PAL. Why would a power surge effect it in one mode and not the other? If you switched your problem xbox to PAL, I wonder if it would still glitch when you turn on your pinball machine...

Unfortunately doesn't seem to be anyone local selling the component cables at the moment here in Australia on eBay. Only international dealers in Hong Kong or Uk from what I've seen... I'll have to wait the 4 weeks to get another one posted to try...

Maybe because pal runs at 50 hz and NTSC is 60?? or the power board may be different in some way as we god different power adapters in the wall(i don't know how it's called!xD)
Thats not it, most likely just dodgy cable but could be the TV . There are 2 sellers on ebay aus selling component cables, i also found some on Divineo for $7.99 with free postage.
Sent from my android coz apple is for pie.
poshea

Post by poshea »

Power surges definitely contribute. I sat here and watched the screen flicker dozens of times in a half hour as the washing machine worked away... As soon as the washing cycle finish... The blackouts stopped... At least at the higher frequency. I'm reading up about power to see if there is a suitable affordable solution that will attenuate the spikes in power - but it may still be a better, more insulated cable would cope with the power fluctuations better anyway. Totally guessing. this things got me totally confused!! lol Only way to know for sure will be to try another cable...

Thanks bigkiddoz - found the one on http://www.divineo.com/. Looks the same as others I have seen on eBay. Will order to try it out. Not sure where they ship there stuff from, looks like stores in europe, usa and china...expecting it to take a few weeks to arrive here in australia....
xman

Post by xman »

Personally I believe the actual quality of the power supplies used in some models of Xboxes is the actual issue. There were many different brands of manufactures of the various power supplies and my belief is some where better than others. My test case is the machine sharing the power point with the pinball machine. If I swap that Xbox, the 1.6 that glitches, with any other of my machines, not a problem including other 1.6 machines. You must also bear in mind there were 3 different manufactures of power supplies that were designed for 240 volts, (PAL Asia region) 1.6 model machines alone.
poshea

Post by poshea »

I tend to agree with you xman. You certainly can't argue it's the cable, when in your case you use the same cable, with the same tv, on the same circuit - but one xbox has video dropouts while others don't. Strange that mine is a 1.1 and yours a 1.6. There are lots of power supplies for sale on eBay as spare parts. From a quick glance, there is a diference in design for 1.0 and 1.1 machines.... And 1.2-1.6. Would be an interesting test to put the power supply from one of your working machines into the one that is glitching. That would confirm the cause of the problem beyond doubt. (if you can bothered pulling them apart) :lol:
poshea

Post by poshea »

Interesting article related to early xboxs starting fires, and Microsoft issuing new cables to resolve the problem... May or may not be related...

"And now for a little lesson on the reason behind the replacement XBOX power cords...

Basically, there have been a few suppliers of the power supply that runs the XBOX. One of them was produced by Foxlink, poorly. You see, as in the picture below, the jack for the power cord is attached only to the main PCB by solder. To the left and right of the pins that are soldered to the PCB are holes in which all the other manufacturers of power supply used to secure the jack to the PCB. The problem that is created is when you plug and unplug the power cord a number of times the solder joints can crack and cause arcing (sparks) which can lead to fire."

poshea

Post by poshea »

Another person experiencing same problem... http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 940AAE7jqw
poshea

Post by poshea »

From an article about someone experiencing drop outs on their TV from fridge/aircon/washing machine...
As has already been pointed out, the transient spike in current demand when a aircon or fridge compressor starts up will cause brief supply fluctuations (and this is completely normal and expected), but a properly functioning power supply on your TV should be able to filter that level of electrical noise without missing a beat. But yours obviously isn't, which suggests a problem there.
Think replacing the xbox power supply with a newer one that tolerates supply fluctuations better is the solution...
bigkidoz

Post by bigkidoz »

Poshea, have you got the cables from Divineo yet ? i need to get some but i'll wait til you be the guinea pig first ;)
Sent from my android coz apple is for pie.
poshea

Post by poshea »

Hey bigkidoz. I actually didn't order another cable as I'm going back overseas at the end of the month for work, and didn't think it would arrive in time. I'll be away until May next year - so you'll have to find another guinea pig :lol:

I know now for certain the cause is power fluctuations. As I said, happens frequently during a washing machine cycle - and now I even hear the fridge compressor kicking in exactly at the moment the screen flashes black.

The two things I would try (but I'm out of time) are new cable - or if that doesn't work, a new power supply for the xbox. I'd even get a sparky to come have a look at the house wiring if I could justify the $$$.

I'm still determined to resolve it though. Let me know if it makes any difference if you get a new cable!

** EDIT ** sorry just read back over this thread and realized your systems don't exhibit this fault! Good luck sourcing some cables here in OZ. International sellers on eBay is another option.