Edit: ANY help with ROCKY5 please!

If you need any help with XBMC4XBOX, such as installing or using the software, please post it in here.
Kevin G.

Edit: ANY help with ROCKY5 please!

Post by Kevin G. »

Hey everyone. Hope this gets some attention...things are pretty bleak around here.

I had decided recently, after being out of the game for quite a few years...to dig out my old softmod 1.4 (Hexen disc, and updated several times, finally with the last iteration of XBMC with Dom's Origin on it for the dash). I enjoy tinkering, and had installed ZSNEXBOX 3.5 as well for my daughter and my (then) 9 year old son. He's now 14, and loves all things Xbox. I have dusted off this old beast, upgraded with Rocky5 upgrade tool on the disc.

After watching several videos, and tutorials, have decided upon XBMCEmustation as my main front end, and have had nothing but trouble since. I was finally able to install one of the XBMCE pre-build as the dashboard via FTP, as doing so with the disc returned an error, every time. (Also did the same with Xbmc4Xbox installing as dash...) both would run as an application, but neither as a dashboard.

I updated the downloader, downloaded a couple things, refreshed the menu, and no emulators appeared to populate at all. I put a ROM and several Emulators on my PC, FTP'd them over and refreshed...nothing. Any of the downloaded .zip did not show up anywhere that I could find. (though they said were installed successfully....) I had moved the Emulator/Media/Rom folders to another partition, per the videos, and corrected the file paths via XBMCE "other settings" the files were there, every time I looked. but nothing would populate. Basically, I'm lost.

I'm certain it's something I'm doing...(or NOT doing). but have no clue how to proceed from here. I have since deleted the files that I installed over the weekend, and am at the point that I would just like to make a fresh start, but Rocky5's disc preserves everything from previous versions... I even thought that I would restore to stock, and begin again, but Rocky5 errors out when I do this too...

Looking for any help here, even a video link is fine...Tried Rocky5's videos, but my apologies...I can barely understand anything he says, and the vocal volume is so low on his vids...that it's pretty futile for me to get much out of them.

not sure if XBMC4Gamers is a better choice and just put Emulators in their standard folder structure, and call it good...

Thank you in advance, as always...
Last edited by Kevin G. on Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin G.

Re: XBMCEmustation on Softmodded 1.4

Post by Kevin G. »

Nobody has set up XBMCEmustation?
Kevin G.

Re: Edit: ANY help with ROCKY5 please!

Post by Kevin G. »

Edited for title.

5100 views and no replies?

Now looking for any assistance that can be offered with Rocky5...I have his dash installed and updated per the videos on YT...but that's as far as I can get. I tried and tried to get XBMC working as a dash again, but it always boots back to Rocky5'.

Really looking to get this working again.
I have also tried to install HEXEN latest one more time, and it appears to work...but wen I restart it boots back to Rocky5. I'm lost.

I would prefer to wipe all old builds and begin again, but am afraid to delete via FTP, in fear of bricking the machine.
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

Ok first post, XBMC-Emustation looks for zips first then some specific extension (these are also user createble) but it is a simple as dripping zipped roms into day /roms/snes/ sub folders inside the system folder are not supported unless it’s a IOS/disc emulator like PS1 & Segacd eg… (but I do the sorting after you scan the files in, so setup is the same for all systems)

Now to you latest post. I take it you’re softmodded? if using my softmod they way it works is a hierarchy of dash paths, XBMC4Gamers and emustation are always first in that list so if you install XBMC to say E or E/Dashboards it won’t boot until you remove or rename the XBMC4Gamers/Emustations default.xbe this way it will skip them and load XBMC or what ever other dash you installed from the disc.
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
Kevin G.

Post by Kevin G. »

Rocky5 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:46 am Ok first post, XBMC-Emustation looks for zips first then some specific extension (these are also user createble) but it is a simple as dripping zipped roms into day /roms/snes/ sub folders inside the system folder are not supported unless it’s a IOS/disc emulator like PS1 & Segacd eg… (but I do the sorting after you scan the files in, so setup is the same for all systems)

Now to you latest post. I take it you’re softmodded? if using my softmod they way it works is a hierarchy of dash paths, XBMC4Gamers and emustation are always first in that list so if you install XBMC to say E or E/Dashboards it won’t boot until you remove or rename the XBMC4Gamers/Emustations default.xbe this way it will skip them and load XBMC or what ever other dash you installed from the disc.

Thanks for taking a look. Softmodded, yes.
ZSNEXbox DID work afterwords, but I really had to find it in the subfolders. XBMC4Gamers and Emustation boot did not work at all
I had shelved the project from lack of response. I have the HD kit, but only one TV left that has component input any more. I will dig everything out again...

I actually used your upgrade disc menu to set XBMC as the dash, but it always booted to the upgraded homescreen.
Still lost. Sorry, I'm certain you're way above me...I'm an amateur at best, but I am not comprehending what you are telling me about folder structure. Is there any way to wipe and start fresh? I ran the disc, and had great success with the rebuild, but my old stuff remained. From there I can attempt to add XBMC and ZSNEXbox back in...
Any reason HEXEN wouldn't let me write over your upgrade?