why doesn't my FTP work anymore?

If you need any help with XBMC4XBOX, such as installing or using the software, please post it in here.
Emperor Bohe

why doesn't my FTP work anymore?

Post by Emperor Bohe »

I've been successfully transferring files to my Xbox via FTP for a few months now, but all of a sudden I cannot FTP any files anymore. I use FlashFXP as my FTP transfer program.

- My default dashboard is XBMC. I don't have evolutionX or unleashX..
- I've tried both Automatic DHCP and Static IP address on my Xbox, both don't work.
- I've made sure all of the settings are correct in FlashFXP (correct IP address, correct username/password, correct port, it's on active mode)
- I have multiple ways to connect my Xbox to my network. crossover cable, wired ethernet cable into router. I even have the official xbox wireless adapter! none are working..

I don't get why it would stop working all of a sudden. what could have went wrong?
Emperor Bohe

Re: why doesn't my FTP work anymore?

Post by Emperor Bohe »

I forgot to mention that depending on which settings I'm fiddling with, the error messages on FlashFXP will either say "connection refused" or it'll just hang until I hit disconnect
professor_jonny

Post by professor_jonny »

can you access a samba share on your pc from your xbox?

do the lights on the network port flash with a cable connected ?

does the xbox say it is conected in the info menu ?

i would try a ping command or traceroute or something like that and see what responces you get if the xbox says it is connected.

you could also try a netsh firewall reset or netsh advfirewall reset if you run a version of windows it might be pc related ?
whufclee

Post by whufclee »

Personally I find Filezilla more reliable than FlashFXP (and it's free). Have you tried in recovery mode? Just hold down the white and yellow buttons on the gamepad when switching on the xbox. If that doesn't work give Filezilla a go - it's pretty simple to use, in fact it's not that different from FlashFXP. It's always worth installing Evox or UnleashX as you can get much faster transfers with those (10x connections at a time).
Emperor Bohe

Post by Emperor Bohe »

professor_jonny wrote:can you access a samba share on your pc from your xbox?

do the lights on the network port flash with a cable connected ?

does the xbox say it is conected in the info menu ?

i would try a ping command or traceroute or something like that and see what responces you get if the xbox says it is connected.

you could also try a netsh firewall reset or netsh advfirewall reset if you run a version of windows it might be pc related ?
1) i don't know what a samba share is...

2) the lights on the network port are green

3) yep, the xbox says it is connected in the info

4) a ping command worked...

still nothing though.. just got this error code:

[R] Connecting to Original Xbox -> IP=192.168.1.104 PORT=21
[R] Connected to Original Xbox
[R] QUIT
[R] HTTP/1.1 400 Page not found
[R] Server: GoAhead-Webs
[R] Date: Thu Jul 26 05:55:37 2012
[R] Pragma: no-cache
[R] Cache-Control: no-cache
[R] Content-Type: text/html
[R] <html><head><title>Document Error: Page not found</title></head>
[R] <body><h2>Access Error: Page not found</h2>
[R] <p>Bad request type</p></body></html>
[R] Connection failed
Emperor Bohe

Post by Emperor Bohe »

does anyone have anymore suggestions?
whufclee

Post by whufclee »

Did you try recovery mode? If that doesn't work try instaaling Evox or unleashX, you'll find them on the HeXEn disc. If that's not an option then try to ftp from another boot disc (although you may find it very slow).
brettbear

Post by brettbear »

Hi,

What computer are you using to try to FTP to the XBOX?
PC?

Sounds like a problem with your PC rather than the XBOX.

Can you open a command prompt (Start, Run, type 'cmd', <Enter>) and type...
ipconfig /all<Enter>

Then type...
netsh advfirewall show currentprofile

Then type...
tracert 192.168.1.104
(Assuming this is still the IP address of your xbox)

Finally, make sure your FTP client is not running, and try to connect to the XBOX via commandline FTP.
Type (assuming your XBOX IP Address is still 192.168.1.104)...
ftp 192.168.1.104
(and if you are prompted for a username and password, type them in).

Finally copy the output (right click, Select All, then press <Enter>), and post it.

Sounds very weird that you can ping it but not FTP to it.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Emperor Bohe wrote: still nothing though.. just got this error code:

[R] Connecting to Original Xbox -> IP=192.168.1.104 PORT=21
[R] Connected to Original Xbox
[R] QUIT
[R] HTTP/1.1 400 Page not found
[R] Server: GoAhead-Webs
[R] Date: Thu Jul 26 05:55:37 2012
[R] Pragma: no-cache
[R] Cache-Control: no-cache
[R] Content-Type: text/html
[R] <html><head><title>Document Error: Page not found</title></head>
[R] <body><h2>Access Error: Page not found</h2>
[R] <p>Bad request type</p></body></html>
[R] Connection failed
that's port 80 - the webserver - if you are getting this output from ftp, then you have it set to the wrong port, or you have configured the webserver to run on port 21 or something!
Emperor Bohe

Post by Emperor Bohe »

okay. so firstly, I installed Heimdall's HeXen disc onto my Xbox and installed evox and UnleashX. Unfortunately, it seems to have replaced (and hopefully hasn't overwritten) XBMC as my default dashboard. How do I fix that? When I try to connect via FTP to my xbox through evoX or UnleashX, it connects without a problem. the only problem now is that I cannot view any of the files that I had before on XBMC. none of the emulators, movies, tv shows etc.... is it possible that I overwrote everything? I hope not, because I didn't have a backup =(
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

Emperor Bohe wrote:okay. so firstly, I installed Heimdall's HeXen disc onto my Xbox...
What do you mean? Do you mean you burned a DVD with HeXEn on it, inserted it into the drawer and loaded up HeXEn, then installed a few things using HeXEn menu?
If so, everything's not lost, you probably just need to adjust shortcuts so it starts your old XBMC installation.
Emperor Bohe

Post by Emperor Bohe »

spicemuseum wrote:
Emperor Bohe wrote:okay. so firstly, I installed Heimdall's HeXen disc onto my Xbox...
What do you mean? Do you mean you burned a DVD with HeXEn on it, inserted it into the drawer and loaded up HeXEn, then installed a few things using HeXEn menu?
If so, everything's not lost, you probably just need to adjust shortcuts so it starts your old XBMC installation.
how do I do that? if you don't mind me asking..
Emperor Bohe

Post by Emperor Bohe »

anybody? =(
xman

Post by xman »

Make sure your FTP settings are the same as those used on your default dashboard which is no longer XBMC. I use an Install disc to change my default dashboard. Any disc should do it I believe. I use Slayer's and it has it.
xanderten50

Post by xanderten50 »

Firstly, apologies for the thread necromancy :oops:

I'm having a similar problem - my FTP connection keeps getting refused. I've tried from my PC (FileZilla) and phone (andFTP), both with the same result.
My Xbox is pulling in the correct time/date, rss feed and also the itv player plugin is still working so I know the connection is sound.
The xbox is set to a static IP that hasn't changed in ages (but the xbox was only recently reconnected to the network)
The webserver was enabled (port 80) but disabling it doesn't make any difference...
I've also tried using other launchers - I can't get avalaunch to start, but both EvoX and UnleashX show IP addresses that give the same result

I haven't pinged it because I'm unsure how to, but does anyone have any ideas why I can't get a connection?

(My xbox is running one of the earlier xbmc4xbox versions but I can't remember which offhand)
Good signatures are hard to come by...
xman

Post by xman »

xanderten50 wrote:.
The xbox is set to a static IP that hasn't changed in ages (but the xbox was only recently reconnected to the network)

I've also tried using other launchers - I can't get avalaunch to start, but both EvoX and UnleashX show IP addresses that give the same result

I haven't pinged it because I'm unsure how to, but does anyone have any ideas why I can't get a connection?
Try changing the IP address to another number. Go to XBMC network setting as use DHCP. The machine will find a suitable IP number that you will see faintly in the IP number box. Go back to static settings and put this number in and change FileZella to this new number as well. You should be good to go now. :D
xanderten50

Post by xanderten50 »

xman wrote:

Try changing the IP address to another number. Go to XBMC network setting as use DHCP. The machine will find a suitable IP number that you will see faintly in the IP number box. Go back to static settings and put this number in and change FileZella to this new number as well. You should be good to go now. :D
Thanks, I'll give that a go tonight :)
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

Fixed bellow.
(Joys of static IPs)
Last edited by Rocky5 on Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
xanderten50

Post by xanderten50 »

xman wrote:

Seems to have worked a treat :) Now I just need to remember how to update xbmc and I'm minted. Thanks!
rafael_1974

Post by rafael_1974 »

Hello guys !
I was looking all the answers here to see if something match what is happening with my Xbox.
I have Evo X with the XBMC dashboard installed and a couple months ago I started to have problems using the FTP server.
Every time I try to activate the FTP server (in network settings > services > Activate FTP Server) my xbox turns off. Just like that. I click in the option Activate FTP server and boom... it turns off.
I just don't know how to solve this and I looked in every single site that could have a solution for that, but nothing.
Do you have any idea of what could be doing that?
Thanks and Regards,
Rafael RL