Updating XBMC when XBMC is running as the dashboard

If you need any help with XBMC4XBOX, such as installing or using the software, please post it in here.
F.A.D.

Updating XBMC when XBMC is running as the dashboard

Post by F.A.D. »

Hello,

I wanted to ask if it is possible to update the XBMC via ftp when the XBMC is set as the dashboard (immediately boots into xbmc when you power the xbox).

I have no idea anymore how I made the xbmc the dashboard but ist approx more than 10 years in the past.

When I ftp the newest version to the xbox it doesn't change a thing because I think it is not possible when it's actually running.

Any help is very much appreciated!

Thank you all very much in advance!

Best regards,

David
professor_jonny

Re: Updating XBMC when XBMC is running as the dashboard

Post by professor_jonny »

what I do is ftp it to a directory along side your current xbmc and call it xbmc 2
then load up the xbmc 2 from the file manager then rename the old directory to something new.
then load up the old version from the file manager in the new version and rename xbmc 2 to xbmc
Coldly-Indifferent

Post by Coldly-Indifferent »

^ Yes but you have to be very careful not to shutdown the Xbox during the renaming process and, of course, make sure the renaming is exactly the same as your original installation or you risk having an unbootable Xbox. That would be particularly problematic if it is a softmod.

One thing I suggest doing before renaming anything is just test that that the new XBMC version works. Once it has been transferred to the Xbox (I suggest that is done to a temporary folder first) use your existing XBMC file manager and click on the new version's "default.xbe". That should launch the new XBMC and you can see if all is OK.

Then copy it into place and do the renaming thing.

I'd also suggest keeping the old version too, running it as an app,

Another way of doing this dash update would be to use a disc like HeXEn (softmod/chip) or Rocky5's XBSMT (softmod only) to update everything installing the new XMBC as part of the process. But you must know how your console was modded first.
Last edited by Coldly-Indifferent on Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Coldly-Indifferent

What sound problem?

Do you actually have XBMC installed as main dash? If not what dash are you using? Softmod, TSOP or chipped Xbox?

It sounds as if you are just trying to update XBMC as the OP was (now long ago). You have to find out where your existing XBMC main dash folder is located and do what I suggested back then, particularly the part about testing that it works first before updating your existing installation.

That test launch is done using the File Manager: as said go to wherever you copied the update version and launch it from there using the "default.xbe".
Last edited by Coldly-Indifferent on Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GoTeamScotch

Post by GoTeamScotch »

AlvinHaiff wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:17 pm I downloaded the software and installed it in Program Files. But then what? How do I run the program? What set-up pattern did you use to fix the sound problem?
Xboxes don't have a Program Files folder. Are you trying to use XBMC on a computer? If so, you should head over to support forums for Kodi (formerly XBMC) to ask your questions about troubleshooting XBMC/Kodi on a PC. https://forum.kodi.tv
Remember kids, always zero-ize your HDD key!
Coldly-Indifferent

I did not think about that possibility - actually makes more sense, particularly with the reference to Program Files.