help installing PlayOn?

If you need any help with XBMC4XBOX, such as installing or using the software, please post it in here.
bsell1

help installing PlayOn?

Post by bsell1 »

I have seen several references to Playon, but nothing on how to install it on the XBox. Can anybody walk me through installing Playon?
bsell1

Re: help installing PlayOn?

Post by bsell1 »

OK, I got it to show up, by installing it as a video plugin through Upnp, but nothing seems to work. Any ideas?
k1m05

Post by k1m05 »

Pretty sure PlayOn Works on the Xbox 360 But not the Original Xbox.
GhostlyGamer

Post by GhostlyGamer »

I use it on my original xbox, but the quality isnt that good. what are you trying to do, play netflix?
bsell1

Post by bsell1 »

just trying to get it to work, to watch some shows that I have missed.
MaxOmus

Post by MaxOmus »

k1m05 wrote:Pretty sure PlayOn Works on the Xbox 360 But not the Original Xbox.
Na, it will work on all types of stuff, xbmc4xbox included, have been using it for well over a year or so now...

Just noticed this thread is a little dated, so I'll assume you have it figured out, but for the sake of the forum and other user's...

I just added mine as a source through UPnP & added it to my favorites, as well as a shortcut to Netflix & a couple other often used plugins...

On my sons xbox I've scanned a few shows into his library with mixed results (really depends on the quality of the plugin/script), for fanart, thumbs, etc. it's easier for him to browse for what he wants to watch by the fanart, season, episode thumbs... but it works ok for the most part.

At any rate, there is a slew of info out there on how to integrate with xbmc, even a few youtube videos.

hxxp://www.homemultimedianetwork.com/Guides/Co ... g-UPnP.php
(Basic easy to follow guide with lot's of pictures for adding PlayOn as a source through UPnP)

hxxp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2zINDmPJs0
How to add PlayOn to XBMC

hxxp://www.playon.tv/forums/media-devices/xbmc
PlayOn Forum - xbmc
bsell1

Post by bsell1 »

Thanks, I will check out those links. I did play with it the yesterday and got a couple of things to work, but unfortunately they started buffering almost immediately, so basically everything was unwatchable.
MaxOmus

Post by MaxOmus »

bsell1 wrote:got a couple of things to work, but unfortunately they started buffering almost immediately, so basically everything was unwatchable.
How's is the host computer your running PlayOn, spec-wise, your internet up to par, does other stuff stream ok? You have plenty of ram & all that good stuff, PlayOn is kinda a hog... some of the plugIn/scripts are shotty, some dont keep there work up to date...
bsell1

Post by bsell1 »

well, that could be the problem. The host computer is about 6 years old and runs like a dog right now. My C: drive actually has 0 bytes left in it, and I keep deleting things to keep it running, but it just fills right back up in a couple of hours. I can't afford a new computer at this time, so I am thinking of reformatting the whole thing and starting over.
MaxOmus

Post by MaxOmus »

Yep, yep, no room to buffer or any of that good stuff, if you look in your settings on PlayOn, it should show you what it needs, what its using, etc... like hard space, memory, internet speed, it should tell you optimal req. and minimal req. like for higher quality streams it needs more space to buffer.