Possible to browse UPnP share added to XBMC remotely?

If you need any help with XBMC4XBOX, such as installing or using the software, please post it in here.
webodan

Possible to browse UPnP share added to XBMC remotely?

Post by webodan »

Hi,

I've set up my music collection on a remote hard drive connected to my network. It uses DLNA which is compatible with XBMC4XBOX (I can browse it and play files from it just fine) but I need to use my TV every time so I can browse it. When I try it using the web interface or the XBMC4XBOX Remote, it drops me the following errors:

In the web interface:

Clicking on the folder that would be the DLNA share inside my Music section in XBMC gives this:

Code: Select all

Music 
Error: invalid location, upnp://4d696e69-444c-164e-9d41-b827eb9a1945/1$14$1/
In XBMC4XBOX Remote:

I can browse the main level of the folders just fine (the ones that contain the folders of the albums, which contain the audio tracks) but when I try to get into any of these folders, I get the following error:

Yes, I could just add a bigger hard drive and copy the files to it, but it would be rather clunky because then I have to copy new music files to several hard drives (I'm planning to unify all my audio needs to this networked drive to save space).

Could this be a missing feature or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Dan Dar3 on Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Reference smaller imgur.com image (was too large, make it easier to scroll over)
Dan Dar3

Re: Possible to browse UPnP share added to XBMC remotely?

Post by Dan Dar3 »

Both XBMC4Xbox Web interface and XBMC4Xbox Remote app use the HTTP API GetMediaLocation command, so they would have the same problem.

I assume navigating the UPnP music source works fine through XBMC4Xbox interface (Music section, File Manager etc)? browsing folders, playing items etc.

Some questions about the device please: hardware make / model, DLNA/UPnP software name / version running?
webodan

Post by webodan »

Hello Dan Dar3,

Yes, navigating it locally and playing files (using xbmc's user interface going to Music -> dlna share from the main menu) works fine, which is why i asked if it could be done *remotely* with either of my clients

The DLNA Server is just a run-of-the-mill Raspberry Pi 2 running Raspbian, with miniDLNA 1.2.1 as the DLNA Server.

Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

I found a few small issues in web interface code and HTTP API implementation around UPnP sources, will propose some changes to them soon.
webodan

Post by webodan »

Nice! i hope it will be fixed. Waiting for changes

Thank you very much.
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

Appologies, this has been taken a lot longer than I expected (been away with work and other things).

It just happens I have a Seagate GoFlex Home NAS running MiniDLNA 1.0.22 and I think I was able to replicate your issues.

It would appear to have something to do to how XBMC4Xbox uses internally URLs for upnp:// sources, using $ URL encoded as %24, and not matching it correctly later with the URL it comes from navigation, i.e. debugging logs from navigatig to Music > All Music

Code: Select all

11:29:18 M: 39817216    INFO: CUtil::GetMatchingSource, comparing name [GoFlex Home:UPNP-AV]
11:29:18 M: 39817216   DEBUG: CUtil::GetMatchingSource, testing   url [upnp://4d696e69-444c-164e-9d41-0010752d811c/1$4/]
11:29:18 M: 39817216   DEBUG: CUtil::GetMatchingSource, comparing url [upnp://4d696e69-444c-164e-9d41-0010752d811c/1%244/]
You can navigate that yourself using your web browser:
http://XBOX_IP/xbmcCmds/xbmcHttp?command=GetMediaLocation(music)

You could in theory add a UPpP source navigate deep to where you need to (Music > All music), saving that source, editing Q:\UserData\sources.xml to change %24 to $ and saving ti back and that might fix something but it will still have that issue for file URLs. And there's other issues around adding to queue and playing UPnP resource files through HTTP API, will come back on that.

Anyway, will be back soon with either a workaround and with changes that I will send you a PM to test for me before putting them up for promotion in a ticket.
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

Sorry for the late reply, Redmine bug created:
https://redmine.exotica.org.uk/issues/360