Is using Internet secure on XBMC4Gamers?

General discussion relating to XBMC4XBOX. Please use the support forums for help on using the software or plugins.
GalleonOriginal

Is using Internet secure on XBMC4Gamers?

Post by GalleonOriginal »

Hello y'all. I have modded my OG XBOX to the XBMX4Gamers by Rocky5. Big cudos to you.
https://github.com/Rocky5/XBMC4Gamers

Now I am done with modding, all thats left to do is install the cover artworks. There is a build in option to download them. But I hesitate to connect a system that old to the web via my home network. I fear to jeopardize my network security by connecting such "ancient" hardware. And I have not found any significant information on the cybersecurity of the XBoxes softmods. Especially the XBMX4Gamers in my use case.

So please share your information regarding internet security experiences and know-how here.

Thanks in advance.
Rocky5

Re: Is using Internet secure on XBMC4Gamers?

Post by Rocky5 »

Yeah I steal all your information when you connect to my site :shock: :?

I’m kidding, it does bugger all other than connect to a specific URL to download a zip, it uses URLLIB and URLLIB2 via python.

So it’s 100% safe, I’m more concerned what you lot can do to my server.

Also thank you and you’re welcome, new update will be out soonish.
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
GalleonOriginal

Post by GalleonOriginal »

Thanks for the answer.
My post was not meant to accuse you in any way. Sorry if it came across that way. :oops:
But the data passes several hops and I feared a man in the middle could easyli intercept and manipulate the data to infect my XBox and from there turn my network in a part of a botnet. Or something similar sinister.
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

Not possible on the Xbox. But ultimately it’s your choice to use the downloader or not.

Also nah I never thought you were implying anything.
( I was taking the piss so to speak :lol: )
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
GoTeamScotch

Post by GoTeamScotch »

Rest easy, you have nothing to worry about. Rocky isn't known for releasing anything but quality software to the modding community and, beyond that, using an old Xbox as part of a botnet would be a lot of effort for very little reward. If someone has the skills to do that, they're much more likely to focus on more desirable systems (like a modern PC). Plus, it would require a substantial amount of specific knowledge about how original Xboxes and XBMC operate.
Remember kids, always zero-ize your HDD key!