usb support higher then 4gb suggestion

General discussion relating to XBMC4XBOX. Please use the support forums for help on using the software or plugins.
dominater01

usb support higher then 4gb suggestion

Post by dominater01 »

hey i wanted to ask if the person who works on xbmc4xbox could make the 4gb limit for xbmc4xbox go away cuz there is a program called fatx formatter (you can google it) and you can use it to format any size usb thumb drive for instance i can use a 8gb usb but it only works on unleashx latest version plz let me know cuz this would really come in handy cuz i have a stock hdd and its kinda full
BuZz
Site Admin

Re: usb support higher then 4gb suggestion

Post by BuZz »

My answer would basically be the same as the devs wrote on this old xbmc forum post - http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=26401

usb is horribly slow anyway - much better is to upgrade the hd (cheap too).
SPPV

Post by SPPV »

BuZz wrote:My answer would basically be the same as the devs wrote on this old xbmc forum post - http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=26401

usb is horribly slow anyway - much better is to upgrade the hd (cheap too).
Its because we are talking about adding HDD support to FATX Formatter so people are gung-ho now to maybe use externals to play games. But as I said at Xtras this is currently just talk nothing has been finalised yet and we are nowhere near done on UnleashX.40 so currently nothing would truly support the larger USB. You can get decent results via 1.1USB as stuff with the PS2 has proven, its just outright copying thats slow as hell.
professor_jonny

Post by professor_jonny »

the fastest option is native ide
would be nice if we could use a usb to ide bridge in place of the cd rom but that is not gooing to happen.
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

I understand the reasoning behind a 4GB limit, given especially the USB 1 speeds.

That being said, while I was looking for the reason my Kingston 4GB model wasn't working I saw this thread, and would like to propose that reason.

If support for Xbox 360-sized partitions are possible it can make processes like backing up configs, transferring game saves, skins, etc. between Xbox1 and the 360's Xbox1Emulator. There may be a lot of other nifty reasons to keep all my FATX-formatted-portable-stuff in one place if I can lump it all on to my newly compatible 8/16/32GB Xbox360 device.

While I'm not up-to-snuff on Xbox1's specific engineering, there are probably (sorry if ignorant to basic truths) smaller improvements or workarounds for certain cases that make some people's lives easier. I'm gonna poke around google before I get too whiny for such a marginal thing.

I'll try any partition tricks and related stuff and see how far I get.
Multi-partitioning can still be useful for the modded Xbox360 console. A stock one I see reasons for not caring at all. My RGH 360 gets a lot of attention swapping on and off games to the USB card. The XBOX1 doesn't need any of this so I can store stuff (allowing programs, emulators etc to stay in place) on a separate FAT/32 partition. Either way I'm sick of reformatting and resetting up USB drives, so this is a way to at least have reliable reference and plenty of space for eeprom backups of everyone I know all in one place.

I'll try an remember to update on the couple of ideas I have. Time to dig through some searches.
00diabolic

Post by 00diabolic »

Man I would love to be able to use a 8/16/32gb drive on my xbox also. I have been getting by with a couple of 4gb just fine but if they die I fear being able to find anything else the xbox likes as much as these 4gb drives I have now.
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

SPPV wrote:...as I said at Xtras this is currently just talk nothing has been finalised yet and we are nowhere near done on UnleashX.40 so currently nothing would truly support the larger USB.
Apologies for hijacking the thread; I've seen your posts over at emuxtras, and picked up a copy of UnleashX.40 BETA from XBOX.HQ. Thanks! :-)

I see from the readme: "Some changes have been made since the last official release. External drive formatting has been added along with improved USB recognition. Full support for Logitech wireless USB keyboard and mouse has also been added. FAT32 support (still buggy) has been added as well. Everyone who uses this beta release please understand its unofficial and in no way supported by the authors of UnleashX...."

Where's the best place on-line to read up on what work has been recently done, or is planned to be done on UnleashX (by you or anyone else close to the project) ?
SPPV

Post by SPPV »

Sadly Ux40 got sidelined. Many of the devs went to 360 and now XBOX-One. Im still working it but its very slow, especialy with the only other real XBOX devs commited to other ends (emus/XBMC). I couldnt possibly give a final release date. If you follow my releases they are each a progression of .40. I still use our BETA for istallers and upgrade it over time, but as a dash is very hard, Im extremely anal and to certify latest build (Babylon) as dash worthy would be a stretch
2 Bunny

CAPACITY Reply

Post by 2 Bunny »

professor_jonny wrote:the fastest option is native ide
would be nice if we could use a usb to ide bridge in place of the cd rom but that is not gooing to happen.
You might be on to something there - doesn't some kind of device like that exist? I've heard of IDE to CompactFlash card adapters - and combined with one of these, you wouldn't even need a USB drive:

Long shot, but maybe it'd work?