M Player Vs DVD Player

General discussion relating to XBMC4XBOX. Please use the support forums for help on using the software or plugins.
shady7

M Player Vs DVD Player

Post by shady7 »

Hi there can someone tell me why M Player can handle playback of 1280 x 720 xvid file and DVD Player cant, cpu usage goes up to 100% and frame skips Thanks in advance.
AZImmortal

Re: M Player Vs DVD Player

Post by AZImmortal »

I don't have the technical knowledge to answer your question, but if you're trying to figure out a way to keep DVDPlayer as your default player while using MPlayer for avi files, see this thread.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

actually dvdplayer can handle 720p xvid / other mpeg4 ok, depending on bitrate. dvdplayer comes out only slightly slower than mplayer in tests I have done, but the picture quality seems better with dvdplayer.

mplayer uses a much older version of the ffmpeg codec libraries, so it may have been more optimal for our older cpus, or have some different algorithms to favour speed over quality. things like that.

I transcode many videos to 1280x720 for playback which work fine on dvdplayer.
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

AZImmortal wrote:I don't have the technical knowledge to answer your question, but if you're trying to figure out a way to keep DVDPlayer as your default player while using MPlayer for avi files, see this thread.
Hmmm. Now I _wouldn't_ have answered that one that way :-). I'd have answered it this way:

Playing 720p with DVDPlayer, read here:
http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewt ... =720p#p281
AZImmortal

Post by AZImmortal »

Haha, looks like the honeymoon is over. :lol: I actually do have those settings enabled but I still found that xvid performance is better with MPlayer than DVDPlayer. I haven't compared the video quality though, so maybe I'll do some testing.
skatulskijean

Post by skatulskijean »

Mplayer on xbmc4xbox is out dated and i can not understand why anywhere ask for him !
I live on this Time! ;)