Xbox's Boot Path Displayed.

General discussion relating to XBMC4XBOX. Please use the support forums for help on using the software or plugins.
xman

Xbox's Boot Path Displayed.

Post by xman »

Seeing a lot of people experiencing black screens after uploading a new build of XBMC as there booting app and this is often, although not always a result of putting the new build in the wrong location to there booting path. The booting path is displayed in your XBMC log but I'm thinking, how about we display this info somewhere easier to obtain like in the XBMC Info Screen or when selected, maybe Borrow the RSS feeds display line to display this important info on the front screen?. The booting location is a part of the XBMC log so it is simply a matter of using this info somewhere else as well. I've spoke to BuZz and this is all quite possible but we are after feedback on this feature so please add your thoughts. Thanks boys.
AZImmortal

Re: Xbox's Boot Path Displayed.

Post by AZImmortal »

xman wrote:Seeing a lot of people experiencing black screens after uploading a new build of XBMC as there booting app and this is often, although not always a result of putting the new build in the wrong location to there booting path.
I don't know if displaying the boot path would really help for this black screen problem that you're describing. If the user manages to delete the old XBMC and uploads their new XBMC to the wrong place, then they already knew where the old XBMC was located (or else they wouldn't have known what to delete). In other words, let's say that my XBMC is currently booting from E:\dash\, so I go and delete it and upload XBMC to E:\dash\XBMC\. I already knew where XBMC was located but that didn't stop me from deleting it and uploading my new XBMC to the wrong place.

With that said, I'm not against including this info in XBMC, but I'm not sure how many people it would help. It's like a chicken and egg situation. To update to the version of XBMC that can tell you where it's installed, you need to know where to install it.