BuZz WTH is going on with this website???

General discussion relating to XBMC4XBOX. Please use the support forums for help on using the software or plugins.
jasally

BuZz WTH is going on with this website???

Post by jasally »

Ok i have been gone for a few months due to dissapointment, 'reoccurance of past problems' if you want to call it that, not sure how to put it but I just want to say why I am annoyed at the new website...

Ok well i just now feel like a fool as I feel ive wasted my time for nothing..

I just want to explain that I actually felt upset that the last forum was gone but unlike alot of people I actually wanted to put some effort in to helping not just saying 'oh its a shame its gone' .. There was obviously nothing I could do to begin with but I realised I COULD HELP so I spent many hours of one of my days collecting every old wiki page i could from google cache and then uploading them.. After which I asked this:
I might be able to start on the structure and linking if you want me to, maybe update some content if its only small changes since im n00b with html.. But if you want Ive got some free time and dreamweaver..?

Anyways what exactly is the deal with the source from the XBMC wiki is it possible to upload it somewhere ..?. ............... It looks like theres alot of pages on the wiki thats all, and Im sure there has to be other (smarter than myself) people on the forum that could potentially help..

I was thinking maybe we could get a few ppl working on it from different angles, i honestly havent done any website stuff for over a year (and even when I did I was not any good..LOL) so i might not be the best pesron but Im pretty sure I could at least get some things structured right updating link's to the right places or even just updating some of the outdated information etc .. Some others members might even be able to help with taking some needed screen shots, like from the different skins, etc..

Can I also ask are there many pics backed up with the XBMC dump from years ago? Like ones of the controller button configuration among other things that probably came from the old website.

I guess well probably need some new screens for stuff??

Maybe we need a "lets rebuild the wiki" section on the forum to get others involved?

So no reply.. I sat for a hour and watched BuZz come online, read my post and just not bother replying... OK im thinking now its just like the last forum or am I wrong somehow????? <----(and this is why i feel like a fool now)

ravennce wrote:Hi there. I'm a designer from Germany also doing a lot of web stuff. If there is anything I can help with rebuilding the site, let me know. :)

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Ar ... ldid=12108

These type of posts just continually ignored..

So months after I spent my day collecting everything has anybody else spent a whole day just getting the wiki re-structured and preparing to have it re-integrated into the site??????

I just feel so dissapointed i even 'wasted' my time doing this for what felt like not even a small thank you...
Seems similar to the problems at the last place, where nobody was working together one person just controlled it all and nothing went forward to where it should have gone... Is this going to happen again I hope not but I havent been here for over 2 months because of this reason!
BuZz
Site Admin

Re: BuZz WTH is going on with this website???

Post by BuZz »

way overreaction.

during your help pulling wiki pages, It was not known if they would definitely be used, but I was appreciative for your efforts. I'm still waiting for a reply from team xbmc regarding access to their wiki. I have been putting in weeks of work into this project, and no doubt work on the wiki will start at some point. I still have the pages you pulled from google cache and they will be useful during reconstruction.

There have been offers for people regarding hosting/designing. I am not ignoring posts. I just don't have time to reply to everyone. There have been offers about hosting, but we are ok in that regard. as for help working on the site, I appreciate all offers of "general help", but I am not sure what is needed. those with specific ideas are welcome to contribute should it be needed. the code for the whole website - blog and forum is open and available to all - http://redmine.exotica.org.uk/projects/ ... 4xbox_site
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

@jasally
I'm just frustrated as you are with the loss of the old website, I spent quite a bit of time myself in responding on forums and updating some of the wiki posts, and yes, it was a pain in the arse to loose all that, but, what can you do.

And you're right, we need to rebuild another wiki again, and I feel your frustration, but in fairness to him I see Buzz is been quite busy with code changes and all, have you tried PMing him or any other admins? (http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/membe ... de=leaders). It's very easy to miss a comment, I know I don't have as much time as before and I only login every few days to look for updates and PMs.
Nextelhalo

Post by Nextelhalo »

Thank you Buzz and Dan Dar for all you do for us. I think this is first kinda flaming thread I've ever seen on this forum, shocked to honest.
Halo LE Blue (Japan Black jewel) v1.0 1.0GHZ Trusty 128 RAM 640GB Blue-White P/E LED's
White v1.4 X3 CE with X3 CP 500GB Blue-white P/E LED's Blue Jewel
Debug kit untouched
blighty

Post by blighty »

Milk spilt & s**t gets re-built :D

happens...
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

to update you, I just (in the last few days) received an xml dump from the xbmc wiki and have been sorted with admin access, so I will be able to grab any deleted articles. this data along with the info pulled from google cache will be used to re-create the website. I appreciate the patience of (almost) everyone in this ;-)

fact is, it's only been a few months since the loss of the last forum etc, and I think things have moved on pretty well since then. I spend more time with xbmc4xbox than I do with my 3.5 year old daughter. I work on the project similar hours to many full time jobs, so I hope people can understand that things do actually progress as fast as they can with the number of developers etc we have, and with the help of many on the forum.
whufclee

Post by whufclee »

Nice one buzz, I think we all appreciate the work you put in. I know what you mean about it taking up as much time as a full-time job, just take a step back for a while and don't burn yourself out or we'll be totally screwed :lol:
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

:)

I have started a new thread for the forum reconstruction http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewt ... ?f=2&t=461