I Want To Upgrade But Not Rescan All My Data

General discussion relating to XBMC4XBOX. Please use the support forums for help on using the software or plugins.
xman

I Want To Upgrade But Not Rescan All My Data

Post by xman »

As it says, I want to upgrade to a new build of XBMC but don't want to re-scan all my existing movie data I already have on the old build.

I have a 2TB using a 2011 build of XBMC, (the farm's machine), and I didn't want to rescan all my existing movie data that I already have on the older build. Simple,
- I copied across the old XBMC build's Userdata/ Database/ MyVideos.34db folder to the new XBMC build's same named folder.
- I copied across the old XBMC build's Userdata/ Thumbnails folder to the new XBMC build's same named folder.
Works perfectly. I've done this many times over the years but thought I'd really load it up doing a shitload of data just to prove it would handle it and it did. So what I now have is a new build, BuZz's latest and best so he tells me and as 95% of the movies already had there data I got using the old build's movie scrappers, that no longer work by the way, to save time, about 2 days with this many movies to scrap, I simply grabbed what I already had, put it on the new build and then using the new build's movie scrapers, "scanned for new content" so the new movies I have added lately will have just there movie data scanned.
Just beware, when the build's are this far apart in age as these builds of XBMC are, 4 years in this case, you can't simply copy the whole Userdata folder, they are not compatible however, the thumbnails and the Videos db are. I'll do the MyMusic7.db and that will be all my music data as well. No need to redo the Thumbnails as I copied all the thumbs when I did the videos.
How many people has this helped I wonder?... :D
professor_jonny

Re: I Want To Upgrade But Not Rescan All My Data

Post by professor_jonny »

i use media companion and drop the nfo and tbn files in the folder with the movie never need to rescrape never need to worry and you can stream them from your pc and it picks it all up locally without the net.
xman

Post by xman »

professor_jonny wrote:i use media companion and drop the nfo and tbn files in the folder with the movie never need to rescrape never need to worry and you can stream them from your pc and it picks it all up locally without the net.
Tell me P.J., if I put new content on a 4GB USB and copy the movie, nfo. and tbn. onto the Xbox HDD, I will then have the movie on the machine with it's info and thumb but can I then delete the tbn. and nfo. files from the movies folder once I've rebooted the Xbox?. I know you can do this when it is just a tbn as this tbn simply becomes the default tbn. for the movie and once scanned, the machine grabs that tbn. and puts it in the database so when it isn't in the movie folder, it doesn't matter as it has already loaded the tbn. in the data base files so is no longer required. My question is, does the nfo. file behave the same?. Also I don't have a network setup for the farm yet so I can't stream from a P.C. however, I will go that way because at present I use both an RPi and Xbox for the farm and it would be nice for all the content to be just on one HDD rather than one for the Xbox and one for the RPis.
professor_jonny

i believe it scrapes all the data locally i believe and you can delete the nfo and tbn files after the folder scrape completes you have to still scrape the folder.

The cool think about media companion is you can rescrape things that change like imdb vote count and top 100 status if you want and not scrape the whole lote of data again, you can even scrape missed data from a previous scrape from imdb or tmdb as its updated, this also works cross platform for pc and xbox where the data base for pc is not compatable with the xbox so if you run a pc, xbox, rpi, andriod etc..you only have to scrape once for all devices.

i stuck with this idea as i had dialup internet and a lot of items to scrape and it was the best method for me.
NOTTHESAME

Post by NOTTHESAME »

professor_jonny wrote:i use media companion and drop the nfo and tbn files in the folder with the movie never need to rescrape never need to worry and you can stream them from your pc and it picks it all up locally without the net.
is the nfo and the tbn faster then online? I have thought of doing this but if its faster then ill go with tbn and nfo files, thanks in advance professor_jonny
professor_jonny

it is way faster than scraping on the xbox from the web.

i turn of actor thumbs in the settings and it scrapes in no time.
rucrazy

Post by rucrazy »

I now have is a new build, BuZz's latest and best so he tells me and as 95% of the movies already had there data I got using the old build's movie scrappers, that no longer work by the way, to save time, about 2 days with this many movies to scrap, I simply grabbed what I already had, put it on the new build and then using the new build's movie scrapers, "scanned for new content" so the new movies I have added lately will have just there movie data scanned.
Last edited by rucrazy on Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
xman

Post by xman »

rucrazy wrote:I now have is a new build, BuZz's latest and best so he tells me and as 95% of the movies already had there data I got using the old build's movie scrappers, that no longer work by the way, to save time, about 2 days with this many movies to scrap, I simply grabbed what I already had, put it on the new build and then using the new build's movie scrapers, "scanned for new content" so the new movies I have added lately will have just there movie data scanned.
Is that something I wrote in the past maybe?. Am I missing something here?.