[INQUIRY] XBMC4XBOX and SMB Limitations

General discussion relating to XBMC4XBOX. Please use the support forums for help on using the software or plugins.
Dom DXecutioner

[INQUIRY] XBMC4XBOX and SMB Limitations

Post by Dom DXecutioner »

Soooo.... I recently built a NAS PC using FreeNAS; I used an old Gateway 505GR:

Intel®
Pentium® 4 Processor with Hyper-Threading Technology
3.0 GHz
Intel 915G Express Chipset
1 GB installed memory (will upgrade to 4GB)
2TB (will be adding 2 more 2TB HDD)
Ethernet (10/100 Mbps)

Anyway... The initial setup was to have all my movies in one folder labeled "Movies"; the folder had 648 files with 7 other folders where I had "Animation", "Kung-Fu", "Fitness", etc. seperated.

The problem I experienced with Xbmc4Xbox was, when I browsed to the "Movies" folder, nothing would show and in some instances, it said "cannot connect to network" - more or less. I then created several other folders to brake down the years, when I reached 400 files (as oppose to 648) I tried again to see if Xbmc4Xbox would be ok with this; to my surprise, it was... all files were there and they were playable.

Now, the question is, are there any limitations to using SMB with Xbmc4Xbox? if so, can anyone point me toward some literature about it?

Thanks!

BTW, FreeNAS is the sh*t!!! (awesome!) :D I should have done this some time ago!
professor_jonny

Re: [INQUIRY] XBMC4XBOX and SMB Limitations

Post by professor_jonny »

i have a big folder with 3647 movies in the root with 355 folders with nested movies with multi parts or sequels and i have no problems with samba it just takes some time to show up on scan :-) as im using a 200mb home plug and seem to only get 3-5mb per second transfer.

I'm hosting from vista 64 bit tho not a nas.

do you have a firewall setup in your router causing problems ?
Dom DXecutioner

Post by Dom DXecutioner »

no, no hardware firewall... i'm stumped! i'll figure it out, eventually :D
Quasimodo

Post by Quasimodo »

Just today, I hit the same wall. Still investigating. 476 movies results in an empty folder, but 475 is working.

Also, my xbox is getting really slow loading the film database.
stilgar

Post by stilgar »

Could this be samba related? I mean have you tried to set this share as your movies source in a PC/MACOS/LINUX XBMC? Perhaps the issue is with FreeNAS.

Please do let us know if you figure this out. FreeNAS rocks, and I'm planning to build one myself...