has xbmc4xbox had its day.

General discussion relating to XBMC4XBOX. Please use the support forums for help on using the software or plugins.
Earlobes

has xbmc4xbox had its day.

Post by Earlobes »

I've noticed recently that it seems to have stopped maintaining it's add ons. Most don't work or have been blocked like the new movement of putlocker in the past it was fixed in no time. Now they seem to end up ignored and left to rot. At this rate Personally I'll end up running a hdmi cable from the downstairs to the bed room and vnc from the laptop.

That's not to say the xbmc updates are not appreciated but what's the point if the plugins do not work.
BuZz
Site Admin

Re: has xbmc4xbox had its day.

Post by BuZz »

unfortunately my original plan of a few well looked after addons didnt work out due to addons being added not being maintained - too many were put up, and then left. I will be looking into cleaning up the addons myself hopefully in the near future so we can have a working set for the final 3.5 release. hope that helps.
Earlobes

Post by Earlobes »

I understand that yes people come and go i have tried free up time to learn python to build a plugin myself, but that would mean sleeping less then 4 hours a night which I cannot do as need to use my brain in work. Plus trying to keep upto date with my other projects.

Just so you know I was not trying to cause trouble more voice a concern as I pass on xboxs with xmbc on to friends and family and maintain them. Let's hope something is sorted before everyone jumps ship.

Personally I would suspend the 3.5 and concentrate on plugins before people find out about the f3
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

the problem is the 3.5 release with the new python means that the addons need re-sorting - so if I did it now, id have to do it again for 3.5, which I definitely don't have the free time for. I'll post something on the forum when there have been changes.
Earlobes

Post by Earlobes »

Is there a release date for 3.5 yet ? Python 2.7 ?
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

"When it's done" :) all work is done in my free time (hours and hours of free time). But maybe a month, maybe a few. 3.5 includes Python 2.7 - you can try it out by running a nightly or the last beta.
Earlobes

Post by Earlobes »

Haha typical stressed coder reply. 2.7 have dealings with on and off as a friend converts my c and vb code into it for Unix users. I will try again at python. Most the tutorials I've read about plugin creation really suck as there's no way of testing until on the xbmc. Which is hard when stuck in work for 13 3/4 hour shift. What is the current addon language 100% 2.5 python ?
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

python 2.4
Earlobes

Post by Earlobes »

Okay thanks for the direction I shall try to catch up and help if possible
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Always can use more addon devs :)
skatulskijean

Post by skatulskijean »

Earlobes wrote:I've noticed recently that it seems to have stopped maintaining it's add ons. Most don't work or have been blocked like the new movement of putlocker in the past it was fixed in no time. Now they seem to end up ignored and left to rot. At this rate Personally I'll end up running a hdmi cable from the downstairs to the bed room and vnc from the laptop.

That's not to say the xbmc updates are not appreciated but what's the point if the plugins do not work.
Its is huge different from python 2.4 to python 2.7.
It's a big different from xbmc4xbox codebase to main xbmc
Most addons was to not adaptable then not all on the sources was fine (eg scriptmodule xbmcswift and others and i have more what not works or can not working momently on xbmc4xbox)
It is loose Time for nothing to adapt the addons again for python 2.4 then a better solution with python 2.7 is working
Most of the newer addons can not works without problem on a 64 MB Xbox , but most of the users i think 98% using a 64.MB XBOX.
So i think i'ts better we beginn to write addons for xbmc4xbox self , whats works faster and with not so many memry hungry options.
Most of the main xbmcaddons since bad developed or base on a work from 10 Years back and use not the power from the actual python code(i mean 2.7).

mainxbmc is ever 100000 km back from the xbmc4xbox codebase.
We have a Little Console with a little of RAM and Power we can not go the same way as main xbmc .
Not on the Sources and not by the Addons and scriptmodule.
Yes we can a little adapt on the Sources thats works on xbmc4xbox to but when i say we than i mean one man BUZZ.
He mak's a great job but what can one man do.
We have to many users but one or tree persons what working on(the Sources ,or Skins ,or Addons and Scripts)
Python is easy to léarn and and the best Tutorials since on the english Language.

Regards Jan
Its not a Big step to create addons for xbmc (the big step is only to access the Sources (streamable elements for video or music)
The other nis ever the same .

I want not one mainxbmc addon i can that what i will have all do self, i want not the urlresolver module then is on this development the same as here .To many users and a little what do what self .

All what we here do is on the free time ,
And i have no more free time as you.
Bingowings

Post by Bingowings »

Here's my thoughts on the subject.
Has it had it's day in terms of it's peak use period. Sure has.
But in there are plenty of consoles still out there, plenty still being modified and just as a dash alone XBMC4XBOX looks stylish and works well.
If people are prepared to adjust the add-ons to keep other media player functions working I think it's well worth the effort for which I am very grateful.
Machines are rendered obsolete way too quickly these days I think it's a noble enterprise to keep key functions up to date for as long as possible.
2 Bunny

YES IT HAS Reply

Post by 2 Bunny »

I stopped using the addons a year or two ago because they rarely worked anyway, and when they did, the websites would always change the URL or something to make it break (I'm looking at you, 1-Channel). Believe it or not, it's better use of your time to just download the shows/movies on your computer, then send them over to your Xbox with FTP the "old fashioned way". That's the best thing to do.
Last edited by 2 Bunny on Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
seriouslycgi

Post by seriouslycgi »

ugh streaming over smb or ftp all the way.

my server is set up to stream video and audio over smb also ps2 games streamed via opl and each xbox has a 80gb hdd for games etc well it was until the 1TB drive died :( had to use the plugins alot since that.
xman

Post by xman »

Depends what you use the machine for I guess. I personally use it as a player of it's own content meaning everything is stored on board. I could count on one hand the amount of times I have streamed something and I never use pluggins or scripts as they were called. The P.C is your download machine and the Xbox is the convenient player of the media. Somehow I just can't picture the whole family crammed around the P.C. watching a movie. Use your imagination. The Xbox is a media player and can do so much more than just stream content. Have you thought about throwing hundreds of music videos on it and have them auto play when you boot it up?. You can have it play just audio music and display your photos while it plays the music.
professor_jonny

Post by professor_jonny »

It is a versitile machine with many features, sure it is not the newest toy but a good one.

I even used mine at my wedding as a jukebox with the milksop plugins they thaught i had paid a dj to set it all up, and were very impressed.

the uses are endless in my old flat i used a case as a leaf catcher for the down pipe for the gutter :-) i just drilled a hole in it and put it over the gutter and the vents served ther purpose nicely.
promannen

Post by promannen »

As xbox cannot handle hd material i am thinking about , buying a small tv or lcd screen and use my xbox in the kitchen, it would be wicked to stream all music and watch youtube while cooking :D and I am thinking about buying a second one just for emulators...