Streaming Audio Server (Like VLC)

General discussion relating to XBMC4XBOX. Please use the support forums for help on using the software or plugins.
hattmall

Streaming Audio Server (Like VLC)

Post by hattmall »

Is it possible to set the XBOX with XBMC up as a streaming audio server?

Similar to how you can stream things with VLC and connect to the stream from anywhere?

I would like to have all the computers/media devices/phones etc in my house be able to sync and control a headless audio server.

I'm not trying to use something like SubSonic or Orb. I don't want to play different songs, just listening to the song that the XBOX is playing, but in all the rooms of the house. I would control the XBOX via the web interface and the individual devices would just connect to an audio stream.

Is this possible?

I've been searching but everything I find is leading to streaming TO the xbox, or just file sharing. Also was a member at the old site, glad I found the new one.

Any help is appreciated.
whufclee

Re: Streaming Audio Server (Like VLC)

Post by whufclee »

If you take a look over at xbmc.org I'm sure something was developed fairly recently for this. Whether or not it would work on xbox is another matter, if you do find it let me know the link as I could also do with it and forgot to bookmark the page!
skatulskijean

Post by skatulskijean »

hattmall wrote:Is it possible to set the XBOX with XBMC up as a streaming audio server?

Similar to how you can stream things with VLC and connect to the stream from anywhere?

I would like to have all the computers/media devices/phones etc in my house be able to sync and control a headless audio server.

I'm not trying to use something like SubSonic or Orb. I don't want to play different songs, just listening to the song that the XBOX is playing, but in all the rooms of the house. I would control the XBOX via the web interface and the individual devices would just connect to an audio stream.

Is this possible?

I've been searching but everything I find is leading to streaming TO the xbox, or just file sharing. Also was a member at the old site, glad I found the new one.

Any help is appreciated.
it it this what you wanted http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afPIeGlq-xI
hattmall

Post by hattmall »

it it this what you wanted http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afPIeGlq-xI
No, not really.

I want to be able to listen to the XBMC in another room or location.

The actual system running XBMC is not hooked up to any speakers at all, only network.

I control it over HTTP, and can connect to a stream of the audio from any remote device.

[XBMC streaming music on IP:PORT]------[ROUTER]----[Computer(s) Connected to Stream]---[Speakers]
[Phone or any device Running XBMC Remote]--^

This is the setup I want.

A possible setup would be to have my Home File server running VLC and streaming the LINE IN which is connected to an XBOX sitting beside it.

It may just be better though to install XBMC directly on the Server because this http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=78431 is essentially what I'm after.