low fps in mkv's

General discussion relating to XBMC4XBOX. Please use the support forums for help on using the software or plugins.
infinity8x3

low fps in mkv's

Post by infinity8x3 »

Was wondering if any one else had problems playing mkv's? I get low fps playing them... Is it a limitation of the hardware? And is there a way to bump performance in them?
Got a pit bull?
http://mypitbullpro.com
professor_jonny

Re: low fps in mkv's

Post by professor_jonny »

depends on the bit rate frams size etc... the lower quality ones play fine on my xbox but yes the xbox is some what hardware limited (it is ten years old).

you could rencode them to something else or stream them on the fly with one of those re encoding programs on your pc.

also there is a setting for low quality pixel shader which will help to add a few fps on the boarderline movies.
spicemuseum

Re: low fps in mkv's

Post by spicemuseum »

infinity8x3 wrote:Was wondering if any one else had problems playing mkv's? I get low fps playing them... Is it a limitation of the hardware? And is there a way to bump performance in them?
mkv (Matroska) is a container format not a video coding scheme. Presumably you mean H.264 (MPEG-4 AVC), which is often used within Matroska containers. If so, you can just about get a very low bitrate 720p rip to play with minimal frame drops, but the quality at those low bit rates is rubbish - you're better off ripping 720p to something not quite so CPU intensive, like H.263 (MPEG-4 ASP, common implementations being Xvid and Divx). It can manage moderate bitrates with fairly good quality with 720p Xvid.

The XB0X will, however, play a 480p (and a little more) H.264 rip at reasonable bit rate without any frame drops.
There are tricks to getting the best H.264 performance out of it, mostly the video setting for skip loop filter (I use "skip everything", others' mileage varies).