Xbox IDE cable upgrade

General discussion relating to XBMC4XBOX. Please use the support forums for help on using the software or plugins.
Nolan

Xbox IDE cable upgrade

Post by Nolan »

I heard that you can upgrade the IDE cable for faster transfering, what IDE cable i must buy?

Xbox Original YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/MS4XBox

Daily Xbox Original Videos!
MrMajst3r

Re: Xbox IDE cable upgrade

Post by MrMajst3r »

You have to buy 80pin ATA cable. But it doesn't affect FTP or DVD speed. Only local HDD's transfer could be faster.
sixties keith

Post by sixties keith »

is this upgrade really worth it?

120gb hdd, vinyl magma skin, front lights, side strip lights, clear jewel mod with lights, ir dongle mod, hdd indicator. X3 with LCD many mods inc custom x3 jewel.
captainsensation

Post by captainsensation »

sixties keith wrote:is this upgrade really worth it?
YES! I couldnt use my 1 TB drive without it, my adapter simply wouldnt function properly with the original one.
Xphazer

Post by Xphazer »

Well that doesn't mean that it "worth" it because it got your SATA HDD to work with it. :lol:
There was some serious test done long time ago, the gain was almost non-existent.
Placebo effect is VERY strong, not even joking here. Most people claiming faster [anything] suffer from it. (Not what you are claiming here.)
I have to deal with placebo effect in most of my hobby's. Personally I'm not really affected by that, I use 3-5$ HDMI cables. :lol:

And BTW there was already a thread about this: http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33
captainsensation

Xphazer wrote:Well that doesn't mean that it "worth" it because it got your SATA HDD to work with it. :lol:
There was some serious test done long time ago, the gain was almost non-existent.
Placebo effect is VERY strong, not even joking here. Most people claiming faster [anything] suffer from it. (Not what you are claiming here.)
I have to deal with placebo effect in most of my hobby's. Personally I'm not really affected by that, I use 3-5$ HDMI cables. :lol:

And BTW there was already a thread about this: http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33
I tried 3 different adapters and 3 different IDE ribbons from 3 different xboxes. Say what you will, but for the 2 dollars i paid for it and the removal of stress getting the hard drive to be seen i would say it was well "worth" it.
Xphazer

Post by Xphazer »

I will never, ever use a sata HDD in a Xbox. Period. Not cost-efficient and certainly not a perfect science.
Where did the OP said he was using a sata HDD ?
My machines have 500GB IDE HDD in them, just for games. I got a server for the rest, and it would not be a problem, nor hard to get 20TB in there.
captainsensation

Xphazer wrote:I will never, ever use a sata HDD in a Xbox. Period. Not cost-efficient and certainly not a perfect science.
Where did the OP said he was using a sata HDD ?
My machines have 500GB IDE HDD in them, just for games. I got a server for the rest, and it would not be a problem, nor hard to get 20TB in there.
Thats fine if that is how you feel. The OP didnt say he/she was using one. I replied to keith and in my opinion the cable is worth it as i am choosing to use a sata hdd. Simple as that.
sixties keith

Post by sixties keith »

thanks for the reply guys, like everything else ive seen on the forum ill try it out on my 'test' xbox and see what results i get.

120gb hdd, vinyl magma skin, front lights, side strip lights, clear jewel mod with lights, ir dongle mod, hdd indicator. X3 with LCD many mods inc custom x3 jewel.
captainsensation

sixties keith wrote:thanks for the reply guys, like everything else ive seen on the forum ill try it out on my 'test' xbox and see what results i get.
Good, go ahead and test it, and when you do and you find yourself content with it, be sure to come back here and 'Thank' me. ;)