XBMC4Xbox 3.3 Improved 128MB Ram support?

General discussion relating to XBMC4XBOX. Please use the support forums for help on using the software or plugins.
Floydthebarber

XBMC4Xbox 3.3 Improved 128MB Ram support?

Post by Floydthebarber »

Hey guys, I got a question. How does the new version of XBMC4Xbox have improved 128mb ram support? I actually do the ram upgrades and would really like to know how having 128mb of ram over only 64mb is beneficial while using XBMC4XBOX. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks
evan_almighty

Re: XBMC4Xbox 3.3 Improved 128MB Ram support?

Post by evan_almighty »

Where are you based floyd?
Floydthebarber

Post by Floydthebarber »

I'm from Saskatchewan, Canada
bigkidoz

Post by bigkidoz »

From all accounts there is no benefit in the extra ram as XBMC cannot access it, emulators is where it shows i believe.
Sent from my android coz apple is for pie.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

this is not true - 3.3 can use the full 128mb (with the right bios). 128mb showed up on the older xbmc builds also with the right bios, but the GPU was limited to the lower 64MB. This meant that also in some cases you could use more ram,but you might see crashes as the GPU ran out of usable memory. Now this is changed with an mtrr hack, that sets unmasked ram to cacheable/writeback which allows the GPU to use the full 128MB, meaning the full ram is available to XBMC.
Floydthebarber

Post by Floydthebarber »

Thank you for the replay Buzz! :D
bigkidoz

Post by bigkidoz »

BuZz wrote:this is not true - 3.3 can use the full 128mb (with the right bios). 128mb showed up on the older xbmc builds also with the right bios, but the GPU was limited to the lower 64MB. This meant that also in some cases you could use more ram,but you might see crashes as the GPU ran out of usable memory. Now this is changed with an mtrr hack, that sets unmasked ram to cacheable/writeback which allows the GPU to use the full 128MB, meaning the full ram is available to XBMC.
Wow thats awesome news, i better get that extra ram installed. Now we just need to up the USB support ;)
Geeba

Post by Geeba »

Yep as soon as I have my new office/man cave finished (torn muscle in my lower back knocked me horizontal for almost 4 weeks now :( ) I'll be firing up the soldering iron and slowly upgrading all the xboxes I have have that will ;)

Guess I need to learn TSOP as well as they are all softmodded.
sirkingchase

Post by sirkingchase »

Would mind commenting on which BIOS supports 128MB?

I have evox flash to my tsop. But I am disappointed that it does not allow me to unhook the DVD Drive ( I might need to short wires on the drive or something )?
professor_jonny

Post by professor_jonny »

you need to edit the bios with evtool to remove the dvd drive check i believe the evox m8+ supports 128mb of ram
xman

Post by xman »

sirkingchase wrote: But I am disappointed that it does not allow me to unhook the DVD Drive ?
This will. It will work fine with NO DVD Drive and an F drive only machine. You'll need XBMC in E/Apps or F/Apps for it to boot to XBMC. Just load this bin. file after you've UnRarred it on your PC into your copy of EvoXDash in it's utilities and use EvoXDash to flash your bios. If this shows some interest and graduate, I'll load on my version of my modded EvoXDash that flashes all the known flashable types of chips and my custom bioses that work on any sized HDD,( Up to about 500GB), F or F and G drive machines with or without a DVDrive. Let's see if interest is here first though aye.

evox-bios.All F. No DVD.bz2
(697.09 KiB) Downloaded 177 times
blighty

Post by blighty »

Thanks xman :)
Maza

Post by Maza »

If you remove the dvd drive check, can you still play xbox games by inserting a the disc?
Xbox 1.4, softmod, 250 GB HDD, Monster Gamelink 400 X Component Video & Monster LightWave 100 X, silent fan mod, Confluence Lite 720p
bigkidoz

Post by bigkidoz »

Maza wrote:If you remove the dvd drive check, can you still play xbox games by inserting a the disc?
Yes you can at least in iND5003 you can.
xman

Post by xman »

Maza wrote:If you remove the dvd drive check, can you still play xbox games by inserting a the disc?
M8 as well. You can run this bios with or without a DVDrive if that wasn't apparent. I have slims that may require a different HDD and when I swap the HDD, I just plug back in a DVDrive, (hanging over the side of the slim case), and boot Slayers to format the new HDD. Once done, unplug the DVDrive and put the lid back on. This bios as all my edited bioses still have the DVD .xbe in the load list so it will read a disc if a disc is connected however the DVD Check is edited out so no DVDrive no worries. Without the DVD .xbe in the list, the bios will never read a disc again so if you wish to edit your own bioses, bear this in mind and only edit the DVD Check part out. ;)
Maza

Post by Maza »

Thanks guys those were the answers I was hoping for.
Xbox 1.4, softmod, 250 GB HDD, Monster Gamelink 400 X Component Video & Monster LightWave 100 X, silent fan mod, Confluence Lite 720p
GoTeamScotch

Post by GoTeamScotch »

So going to try this. My first ram upgrade attempt failed, but I'll give it another go soon as I find the time. Great news though
Remember kids, always zero-ize your HDD key!
evan_almighty

Post by evan_almighty »

Don't mean to hijack the thread in any way whatsoever, but is there anyone in the uk that can do the 128MB upgrade?