Face Book and a web Browser

General discussion relating to XBMC4XBOX. Please use the support forums for help on using the software or plugins.
Pr4dinja

Face Book and a web Browser

Post by Pr4dinja »

any think these would be cool? a full FB app and some type of mini Web browser would make the original xbox irresistable jans2.1 got my friends stun i hope someone takes up the challange
skatulskijean

Re: Face Book and a web Browser

Post by skatulskijean »

I think it's a nice request !
The best option of ware probably Netsurf . (Framebuffer)
http://www.netsurf-browser.org/

I think the first way is to create a Kiosk Like Webrowser under Linux (XBOX ) (Kernel - Driver - Netsurf (Frambuffer)

I hope anywhere say i do it!

http://www.netsurf-browser.org/about/sc ... ramebuffer

Regards Jan
whufclee

Post by whufclee »

Ah the age-old "xbox web-browser"topic has cropped up again.

It's a really nice idea, one that I'd really like to see but realistically how many people will use it? A web browser on xbox is always going to feel a little clumsy and it doesn't really have the hardware available to make it a nice experience. Like I said it would be great to see one but is anyone going to spend months developing a browser when it's really only going to be a bit of a gimmick? However, if anyone does make one then BRILLIANT!

@Pr4dinja: Have you tried Linksboks? You can get it here, it's an old web-browser for xbox but it's not a fun experience!
Pr4dinja

Post by Pr4dinja »

Ok I'll try the links boks was trying firefox on X-dsl 0.7 but no luck in watching YouTube but the xbmc's utube is excellent I ain't even complaining only wish you could have the comment option in making the gap shorter in video response doing everything on the xbox instead of back and fouth movement from desktop/mobile/xbox if you get me,and also grabing some of the vids to watch off line lol am I asking to much? a revived Twitter App would be sugary too @whufclee,@skatulskijean thank you for your response
whufclee

Post by whufclee »

Pr4dinja wrote:Ok I'll try the links boks was trying firefox on X-dsl 0.7 but no luck in watching YouTube but the xbmc's utube is excellent I ain't even complaining only wish you could have the comment option in making the gap shorter in video response doing everything on the xbox instead of back and fouth movement from desktop/mobile/xbox if you get me,and also grabing some of the vids to watch off line lol am I asking to much? a revived Twitter App would be sugary too @whufclee,@skatulskijean thank you for your response
I know it's not exactly what you're after but you can download vids from the internet via Navi-X and it's also an option in many of the plugins available. When you're in a plugin and you get to the actual link, rather than clicking on it to play just press the white button instead and it should bring up a context menu - Download is quite often an option. This does however vary from plugin to plugin - some developers haven't added the download function to their addons but the majority of the newer ones do.

As for the twitter app, have you tried the official one from mainbranch? It used to be called XBTweet but may just be called twitter now - I'm not sure as I don't use it. If you install Addons4Xbox Installer (you'll find it in XAI in the Misc section) you should be able to find twitter in the XBMC.org section. If it works let me know and I'll add it to XAI - I still haven't had the time to go through that repo to see what is and isn't working on xbox so any help is very welcome.
Pr4dinja

Post by Pr4dinja »

Ok thanks I'll try the navi-x download option I've being trying it on 3.1 but it would always stick so I'll give jans2.1 a try and I'll test and post the working plugins so that would be my project later bro
whufclee

Post by whufclee »

If you're willing to do some testing that will be much appreciated thanks. Not sure why Navi-X was sticking for you, maybe you need to completely delete your install of Navi-X and reinstall using XAI (it's in Movies/TV Shows in the scripts section). I think the the version on Jans build uses the default homepage so if you want to try out my playlist you'll find it under user lists>whufclee or the easiest way is to just reinstall with XAI. Well worth watching the Navi-X video I posted in the tutorial section, I know it's about 20 minutes long and it's a little outdated now but it does show some good tips and tricks to getting the best out of it, especially when downloading content.
zekepliskin

Post by zekepliskin »

I used XDSL on the Xbox 1 a couple of times to try Firefox (probably 1.5 or something back then). Not fun with only 64MB of RAM, that's for certain!

Expecting a decent browsing experience - or indeed any browsing experience at all - on the Xbox 1 is asking a bit much. You'd do better to get something relatively cheap that'll run some form of proper operating system with a GUI. As mentioned in a couple of other threads I have an Apple TV which runs LXDE via Crystalbuntu. It boots up to a standalone XBMC much like the Xbox does, but if you exit it then LXDE is loaded and I have access to basic apps like Firefox 3.6.17 which displays most sites very well (even hacked Adobe Flash support on it to use Grooveshark, little slow but working!), GParted for disk checks and/or setting up external drives via USB I assume (haven't tried it yet), LXterminal if I want to edit XBMC or add packages using sudo apt-get install or similar, Deluge as a Python-powered torrent client and I can always run XBMC again as a process of LXDE so I can have music playing in the background while I web surf. All of which is next to impossible to do on an Xbox 1.

The Apple TV struggles now and then but as long as you're not maxing out the CPU by having a load of things going at once it really beats having a noisy, power-sapping laptop or full "beige box" PC on just to do basic web stuff like checking eBay purchases or browsing forums. If I need to check something online, I can pause the video in XBMC, come out of fullscreen mode and jump straight into the browser which was idling in the background, all within ten to fifteen seconds. Very nice, I think! :D
zekepliskin

Post by zekepliskin »

Just checked - I can run Twitter in Firefox easily enough so I'm guessing Facebook would be fine too (can't check because I don't have an account). As all Facebook apps lack features I'd say using a browser works out better anyway.

I paid 75 quid for the Apple TV, 15 quid for the Crystal HD card... yep, not bad at all consider what it can do now.
skatulskijean

Post by skatulskijean »

skatulskijean wrote:I think it's a nice request !
The best option of ware probably Netsurf . (Framebuffer)
http://www.netsurf-browser.org/

I think the first way is to create a Kiosk Like Webrowser under Linux (XBOX ) (Kernel - Driver - Netsurf (Frambuffer)

I hope anywhere say i do it!

http://www.netsurf-browser.org/about/sc ... ramebuffer

Regards Jan
The mans from Ps2 have understand what i mean and have released a kiosk like sytem ( netsurf 2.9) for ps2 and here is nobody what can it do!!!!!!!

We can make a full port from Netsurf !

Here is a Video from Ps2 with Netsurf
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... YAU2Ppi5Mw[/youtube]