Excellent Remote = SMK-Link VP3701

General discussion relating to XBMC4XBOX. Please use the support forums for help on using the software or plugins.
odellkevin

Excellent Remote = SMK-Link VP3701

Post by odellkevin »

Just wanted to let you guys know about an excellent remote for the Xbox / XBMC4XBOX, it's the SMK-Link VP3701. It's basically a third party Xbox 360 remote, but it is universal and can control up to 6 devices. It has thousands of codes for different devices, plus it is programmable if you can't find the correct code, or you just don't like "where" the code assigns the buttons. It has non volatile memory, so if you take the batteries out for 5 minutes, or 5 months, it won't lose your settings. The layout is VERY similar to the original Xbox remote. Plus, best of all, it can be had for about $20 - $25. I've had one for about the past 8 months and haven't touched ANY of my oem remotes since then. Obviously, you still have to have an original Xbox remote dongle in order to control the Xbox. I currently have mine set up to run my Sharp 60" LCD, my Cisco Satellite decoder, my Xbox (with XBMC4XBOX, of course), a PS2, a Sanyo VCR (yeah, I know), and a ViewSonic projector. The only thing I have to get off the couch for is to turn the Xbox on. The only caveats to it are, it only comes in white, (which I was kind of turned off by to begin with, but now I like it because it makes it easier to find), also, it's not backlit, which doesn't bother me because I don't like to watch movies in a completely dark room (kind of hard on the eyes), it's only IR, (but everything I have is IR, so no biggie), and the last thing that does kind of bug me a bit, is some of the buttons are kind of small and really close together, so if you have big banana hands like me, you have to bend your thumb down and press the button with the very tip of your thumb instead of the flat part. The only button that I really have to do this on is the "back" button, and all the other pros to this remote kind of cancel that one issue out. Google it and check it out, I'm really happy with mine.