Best plugins and repositories

General discussion relating to XBMC4XBOX. Please use the support forums for help on using the software or plugins.
sixties keith

Best plugins and repositories

Post by sixties keith »

Just a quick post to see what others people use the most and what people thinks the best. i know there an add-on status section but that only includes whats in the xbmc4xbox repositories and i think it would be handy for users to know where the best stuff is. especially now there is quite alot in there now.

Ill keep updating the tread at the top to make it easy for users to see where the plugins come from. can be whatever music, video, scripts etc just don't forget to say what repositories they come from.

120gb hdd, vinyl magma skin, front lights, side strip lights, clear jewel mod with lights, ir dongle mod, hdd indicator. X3 with LCD many mods inc custom x3 jewel.
Dan Dar3

Re: Best plugins and repositories

Post by Dan Dar3 »

See "Addons Status" tab at the top.
http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/addons/
sixties keith

Post by sixties keith »

i knew that was there but is it not for just xbmc4xbox?
sixties keith wrote:Just a quick post to see what others people use the most and what people thinks the best. i know there an add-on status section but that only includes whats in the xbmc4xbox repositories and i think it would be handy for users to know where the best stuff is. especially now there is quite alot in there now
i meant in some of the other many repositories. for example demand on 5 video plugin etc takes ages installing loads of different reposertories just to find out whats in them. further more i cant even keep the plugins themselves as they sometimes become outdated or broken etc

120gb hdd, vinyl magma skin, front lights, side strip lights, clear jewel mod with lights, ir dongle mod, hdd indicator. X3 with LCD many mods inc custom x3 jewel.
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

Sorry, work away...

Yes, plugin / addons tend to break because they rely on websites that change structure or just go down really... and people maintaining them they either don't do it on regular basis, or they do it for mainline XBMC and someone else might try to keep up and fix the ones for xbmc4xbox. Anyway, work away and if you find the most popular ones, just PM one of the moderators to add them to that page so everyone can see them.
sixties keith

Post by sixties keith »

ah that's no problem thanks. yea think it would be nice if we had a list of plugins and the repository it comes from. would be a nice guide for reference if people were looking for the main stuff.

my plan was to do it for English plugins first and if there is enough interest could also add a German and Spanish section (or whatever is requested)

anyways would be nice if some more were added to the main ad-dons for xbox repository especially now theres an asddon section which clearly states weather the pligin is working which i personally think is a great help. would it be possible to get some more plugins added to the main xbmc repo? such as 5 on demand,m itv catchup etc? i see iplayer and 40d have both already been put in. Also what about tvcatchup? i think its great and thought it would be one of the more popular plugins ?

skatulskijean

Post by skatulskijean »

your idea is nice but i think you not understand that we have a different Source (python ) on main xbmc and xbmc4xbox!
When one addon works on the repo on the actuall version with the next version its works nomore on xbmc4xbox !
ist simple to bring our outdated python to fall on a addon with a simple import or more!
Over the next year many Developer xbmc python come an go and she have not learning python with a outdated version she work with a actuall python version and this make the addons on future on xbmc4xbox unusable!

The only Solution to help out is learn python adapting addons or scripts or plugins or write your own what is compatible for main xbmc and xbmc4xbox to!
xbmc4xbox as media os solution fall without a newer python version on the next year!

on moment will help a working update to python 2.5(not for all but for most) but we have it not!

Regards Jan
whufclee

Post by whufclee »

Between xphazer, kozz and myself we tested somewhere in the region of 500 plugins and scripts. Unfortunately I think the majority of the data has been lost with the old site - it was uploaded to Craig's server.

However I've found this file and uploaded it for you, that might help get you started. Obviously it's going to be very outdated now but it will at least give you an idea of the ones which definitely don't work so you don't need to bother testing.

Also you could have a look on the old XAI repo, that was at the time a definitive list of everything that worked on xbox. Depreciated repository is here https://code.google.com/p/addons4xbox/s ... ches%2FXAI
sixties keith

Post by sixties keith »

Great guys this is getting moving now. ok few things to mention firstly i know alot of scripts and plugins out there are outdated and not working i simply meant a nice table as such containing anything not included in the xbmc4xbox repository not the plugin intself.

im refering to any new plugin people have been working on that may not be in the repo, veetle comes to mind as i downloaded it straight from the forum and not thru the program (also works really well)

Obviously any1 looking at the program will easily be able to get iplayer, navi x etc etc but what if they are looking for others such as tvcatchup 5 on demand etc etc it would be nice if users could just go to a thread and look and bang plugin x ius contained in repo x etc

again i know alot of plugins may be outdated but its just too see whats used and if its only a few maybe they could be included in the addon section as iplayer and 40d was. another good fact is that posts would be about plugins not working or bugs rathers than just standard where to find theads etc let me know what you think guys

whufclee

Post by whufclee »

It sounds like a good idea but I'm afraid you can count me out of any kind of testing as personally I have no spare time to give to this. I can't even begin to tell you how many hours/days/weeks/months I put into testing all the old plugins and scripts! We had a compatibility list of 600+ addons on Craigs old site and a hell of a lot of work went into that, from Craig setting up all the webpage design to kozz and I testing. It was up for quite some time and barely got any views, there was a link to it similar to the "Addon Status" one at the top of this page but nobody seemed to take any notice and still asked silly questions about plugins when they could have just clicked on the compatibility database to see what the current status was.

To me it sounds like a good idea but the last time something like this was done it ended up just being a total waste of time and effort. That said feel free to start up a thread, if users were actually willing to give proper input on what is and isn't working it could be a sticky and whoever takes on this project can just update the OP as and when there are any updates. If this did ever come to fruition whoever takes on the responsibility of being the moderator for the thread would have to be very active on the forum and check daily for updates. It's not just a case of taking someone's word for it that something's broken either, every time there's a report of a broken plugin you would need to test and make sure - someone could simply state a plugin/script is broken but it may just be the website it's getting data from is just having some downtime.

I don't mean to put a downer on your idea but just thought I'd share what had previously happened when we last tried this!
sixties keith

Post by sixties keith »

damn i know what you mean whufclee and can understand that did abit of testing back in the day before. i also know what you mean about people reporting broken plugins i fixed the tvshack plugin as few times when they kept getting shut down and moving domain names etc

if we cant have this then could we get some kind of poll up to see what plugins are used the most and the most used ones could be added to the addons status page. i see iplayer and 40d were moved so would it be alot of work? im sure the like of tvcatchup , veetle, 5 on demand , rte catchup are only a couple of really good plugins (off top of my head) which work well but finding them can sometimes take time and be frustrating especially when unsure where to look or new to the xbmc4xbox scene.

fxmech

Post by fxmech »

Is this what you're talking about? http://www.sshcs.com/xbmc/Repo/?mode=FNW
sixties keith

Post by sixties keith »

sort of, thats a nice list never seen that before so that's a plus - think were getting away from what i originally intended, justy wanted a thread i could keep editing with info people have added.

for example - say you like a certain plugin, name that plugin, the repo its contained in and if possible a short description. i can then take it out and add it to the first post for all users to easily see.

whufclee

Post by whufclee »

Cheers for the link fxmech, looks different to how I remember it - looks as though Craig has changed some things. That was the one I was on about though, the one which nobody ever seemed to use!
sixties keith

Post by sixties keith »

yes this guide is good but gets abit away from what i originally intended.

In that list , its shows masses of plugins and scripts (alot now outdated or no longer used) An example of this is - x/AJ-Video-Addons/plugin/StageVU. going to aj's repo on the addons4xbox installer shows it does NOT still have this plugin.

furthermore i was hoping to just add what users on the forum think are the best plugins. therefor shows the most popular ones without the need of installing countless repos trying to find plugins (especially annoying as most of the repos info just shows as general addons)