Cant FWD or RWD streamed video on a Samsung DLNA or Smart TV

General discussion relating to XBMC4XBOX. Please use the support forums for help on using the software or plugins.
pcxp

Cant FWD or RWD streamed video on a Samsung DLNA or Smart TV

Post by pcxp »

Hi,

Newbie to the forum but hoping someone with a bit more tech know-how can help me out.

So, had my XBMC xbox for years, don't really want to part with it but everyone knows it struggles with 720p or higher videos and now, even higher quality SD video files.

So got over that hurdle, just set the Xbox as a server to my DLNA / Smart Samsung TV, and the 720ps play at full speed in wonderful HD quality. :D

Now the lovely folks at Samsung appear to have written their TV firmware such that you cannot forward or rewind streamed playback, unless the streaming device has All Share software installed. I've tested this, streaming via All Share installed on a PC, you can forward and rewind video via the TV remote, streaming from XBMC on the xbox, play, stop and pause only (plus when you pause then unpause, the connection breaks).

Contacted Samsung, got the obvious can't be bothered to change their firmware type response. So...

Are there settings on XBMC4xbox to enable this? (have tried "allow other devices to control xbmc" already, that doesn't work)
OR
Has anyone built a plugin or script that accepts the FWD and RWD commands from a Samsung Smart TV to control the video streamed from XBMC4xbox?
OR
All you kind people that write the code for XBMC4xbox, can this be programmed into a future release of xbmc4xbox?

Appreciate any advise on the subject!

Max
BuZz
Site Admin

Re: Cant FWD or RWD streamed video on a Samsung DLNA or Smar

Post by BuZz »

Are there settings on XBMC4xbox to enable this? (have tried "allow other devices to control xbmc" already, that doesn't work)
Has anyone built a plugin or script that accepts the FWD and RWD commands from a Samsung Smart TV to control the video streamed from XBMC4xbox?
All you kind people that write the code for XBMC4xbox, can this be programmed into a future release of xbmc4xbox?
no. looks like samsung are using a protocol we don't support, or in a way that is incompatible.

no plugin can improve this, and there is not going to be any support in xbmc4xbox. (I don't own a samsung smarttv, and if samsung have made their system operate like this, I really have no interest in looking into it - nor a setup that I could test with).

Also see: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?ti ... #pid699155

I recommend you use a more capable system than XBMC4XBOX as a uPNP server. If the tv only works with certain software, then I suggest that is used (or software mentioned on the above thread).
pcxp

Re: Cant FWD or RWD streamed video on a Samsung DLNA or Smar

Post by pcxp »

Hi Buzz, thanks for the response and the reference to the other post.

All makes sense now, Samsung just looking to support their own devices and software in the hope you purchase more of their products!

Will continue to use the xbox for SD and it'll have to be a laptop with allshare for HD and SBS video files.

Max
2 Bunny

4WD Reply

Post by 2 Bunny »

Maybe all you need is 4WD