Pre-record/save news channels automatically

General discussion relating to XBMC4XBOX. Please use the support forums for help on using the software or plugins.
linuph

Pre-record/save news channels automatically

Post by linuph »

I'm in Asia and would like to pre-record/save news channels automatically from Europe (like UK, Germany and the Netherlands) so that I can watch it the next day. Time difference is GMT+7/8. Automatically would mean: turn on XBOX/XBMC4XBOX at a predefined time, gather streams and turn off XBOX after another predefined time. Or, less preferable, keep XBOX/XBMC4XBOX running and saving between time A and B. Has anyone ventured into this? What would be the way to do this?
BuZz
Site Admin

Re: Pre-record/save news channels automatically

Post by BuZz »

mythtv and tv card or something ? you can then record and playback later on the xbox. certainly using a PC/PVR here would be a solution.
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

BuZz wrote:mythtv and tv card or something ?
You called?
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

spicemuseum wrote:
You called?
maybe you can advise - I know very little about software pvr.. check the post above mine cheers :)
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

BuZz wrote:
spicemuseum wrote:
You called?
maybe you can advise - I know very little about software pvr.. check the post above mine cheers :)
I think the OP wants to record live streams - from that I take him to mean IP video/audio streams, not television broadcasts.

Linuph, if you want advice on setting up an open PVR on a spare PC or a server - happy to point you in the right direction and talk about my set up.
linuph

Post by linuph »

spicemuseum:
Correct, I want to record live streams - IP video/audio streams.
I run XBMC4XBOX on an original XBOX v1.1, hard modded, 300Gb HDD. Due to a slow Internet connection, streams pause every 15 seconds or so. I use lowest resolution, PAL 576i or NTSC 480P: higher resolutions 720P and in particular 1080i eat too much memory and may freeze XBMC4XBOX.
I have set the buffersize in advancedsettings.html to zero to buffer to the HDD but that doesn't make a difference.
I can also run XDSL v0.7 beta 5 on the XBOX, if that is of use.

I have a couple of Macs and Parallels so I could go for OSX or Windows (XP). I have not ventured into that. Ideally, I would run a PVR on the XBOX but maybe that is too much of a challenge.

I'm curious to know your setup.
Last edited by linuph on Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

I would download them and a pc and play later on the xbox. you can use rtmpdump for example to save rtmp:// streams to disk, and wget etc for web hosted files.
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

BuZz wrote:I would download them and a pc and play later on the xbox. you can use rtmpdump for example to save rtmp:// streams to disk, and wget etc for web hosted files.
Yep. Agree (but it's not a front-end). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rtmpdump

At one time I used to use Get iPlayer which has a PVR-alike web front-end, but I haven't used it for a while now - don't know whether it even still works (and of course it's limited to UK and Auntie). http://www.infradead.org/get_iplayer/ht ... layer.html

EDIT: BTW, if you are interested, my server set-up is quite similar to Gary Parker's - http://parker1.co.uk/mythtv_silent.php. My main functional difference is that one of my tv cards is a DVB-S/S2 decoder.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

spicemuseum wrote:
BuZz wrote:I would download them and a pc and play later on the xbox. you can use rtmpdump for example to save rtmp:// streams to disk, and wget etc for web hosted files.
Yep. Agree (but it's not a front-end). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rtmpdump

At one time I used to use Get iPlayer which has a PVR-alike web front-end, but I haven't used it for a while now - don't know whether it even still works (and of course it's limited to UK and Auntie). http://www.infradead.org/get_iplayer/ht ... layer.html

EDIT: BTW, if you are interested, my server set-up is quite similar to Gary Parker's - http://parker1.co.uk/mythtv_silent.php. My main functional difference is that one of my tv cards is a DVB-S/S2 decoder.
You don't need to link me to rtmpdump (but thanks :) ) - We use rtmpdump in xbmc4xbox. It is a set of tools (and library) of which rtmpdump is a client side tool. not sure about your definition of "front end", but it is the tool which would be used to save streams for later use. rtmpdump is a client tool, not a daemon/server.

getiplayer uses rtmpdump for downloading rtmp streams. it does still work also.

[edit] worth adding, for some live streams, just rtmpdump on its own is enough to record streams. other's may require additional scripting (such as iplayer). but doing this on a pc, and playing back later on the xbox is the best route. xbmc4xbox was not built for tasks like this (not an os).
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

on linux/unix or similar you can script stuff to say record things at certain times. eg

Code: Select all

echo "rtmpdump -r rtmp://fms5.visionip.tv/live/RT_3 --swfUrl http://rt.com/s/swf/player5.4.viral.swf --live --stop 3600 -o NewsAt7.flv" | at 19:00
would make a job to record 1 hour from RT news at 7pm. could use a cronjob to schedule also. there may well be some existing tools like getiplayer for other channels to make it simpler.
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

BuZz wrote:You don't need to link me to rtmpdump (but thanks :) )
L0L, that was for the OP's benefit, not yours.
BuZz wrote:We use rtmpdump in xbmc4xbox. It is a set of tools (and library) of which rtmpdump is a client side tool. not sure about your definition of "front end", but it is the tool which would be used to save streams for later use. rtmpdump is a client tool, not a daemon/server.
Yep, crap wording, what I meant was it's not a friendly GUI.
BuZz wrote:getiplayer uses rtmpdump for downloading rtmp streams.
Exactly.
BuZz wrote:it does still work also.
Ah, cool.
BuZz wrote:doing this on a pc, and playing back later on the xbox is the best route.
Agree.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Sorry for the misunderstanding ;-)
linuph

Post by linuph »

Sofar, I have experimented with:

XDSL:
Mplayer, VLC, Xine and ffmpeg can be used from the command line or with a bash-script.

XBMC4XBOX:
A URL can be saved as a .strm file and can be played from file manager or as an addon.

In case of XBMC4XBOX I suppose a Python script is needed and/or a xml script but I know little about the program structure of XBMC4XBOX. Although XDSL seems the way to go, I would appreciate some pointers in the right direction.