Facebook Plug In for XBMC4XBOX?

General discussion relating to XBMC4XBOX. Please use the support forums for help on using the software or plugins.
gennyexd

Facebook Plug In for XBMC4XBOX?

Post by gennyexd »

Hi there,
i have a XMBC 3.3 Jan's Version installed on my
"old Lady" and I was wondering if there's a Plug In for Facebook. I found something around but it doesn't work.
GoTeamScotch

Re: Facebook Plug In for XBMC4XBOX?

Post by GoTeamScotch »

Hi,

I have never heard of a Facebook plugin for XBMC, and I would imagine it would take quite a bit of know-how to make it work at all.

There are two options for you to connect with Facebook through you Xbox. Once being feed updates and the other to use a web browser.
The first of the two involves getting your Facebook RSS feed link and telling XBMC to use it. This shows up as a stream on the bottom of the XBMC home screen with all of your notifications. To set this up, pull the file "RssFeeds.xml" from your XBMC installation. The file should be sitting in the UserData folder wherever you have XBMC installed. Open up RssFeeds.xml in Windows notepad and you will see something similar to this:

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<rssfeeds>
  <set id="1">
    <feed updateinterval="30">http://feeds.feedburner.com/xbmc4xbox</feed>
  </set>
</rssfeeds>
Change the URL there to your Facebook notification URL. To get this, log into your Facebook account, click the notification Globe icon and at the bottom of that little window click "See All". Then at the top look for "Get notifications via..." and you'll see "RSS" as one of the options. Click RSS and copy the URL that is now in your address bar. Paste that URL into your RssFeeds.xml in place of the one that is there (in between the <feed> brackets). Save, and upload again to your XBMC installation into the UserData folder. Restart XBMC.

Second option, the web browser, involves using either a Linux installation (such as GentooX, DSL or others) and then using standard Firefox to browse to Facebook.com or using a Xbox native web browser. I wouldn't really advise doing either of these because when using Linux on the XBOX, it runs pretty slow and native XBOX browsers are very old and incompatible with new standards of web design.

So long story short, Facebook on XBMC...nothing besides RSS updates, at least to my knowledge.

It may be doable using Python scripting, but I have not seen it yet.
Remember kids, always zero-ize your HDD key!
whufclee

Re: Facebook Plug In for XBMC4XBOX?

Post by whufclee »

There used to be a facebook photo plugin which allowed you to view photos posted on facebook. It was a quite a few years ago it was released but I'm sure you'd find it on the xbmc.org forum if you wanted to try it. I think it required you to sign in via a web browser and then copy over some settings to get it to work on xbox.