Wiki Reconstruction

Post ideas or dicuss development of the Blog / Forum / Bugtracker etc
BuZz
Site Admin

Wiki Reconstruction

Post by BuZz »

Just wanted to start a thread for the wiki reconstruction.

Site svn - https://svn.exotica.org.uk:8443/xbmc4xbox_site/
Web Interface - http://redmine.exotica.org.uk/projects/ ... 4xbox_site

I have a full XML dump of the http://wiki.xbmc.org wiki kindly provided by the friendly folk over at http:/xbmc.org

I will then modify the mediawiki xml import so it only imports revisions older than a certain date (for example march the 1st). we can then go updating portions of text, utilising cached copied captured from the old site, and newer revisions from the xbmc.org wiki.

That's the plan anyway. I'll post further details here as I progress.
BuZz
Site Admin

Re: Wiki Reconstruction

Post by BuZz »

Initial "in development" copy of the wiki is in place at http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/wiki/

This is a snapshot of the xbmc wiki as of 1st March 2010. However, any pages that were deleted/renamed since then will be missing, so I will need to transfer them over manually, or via a script.

Images are also missing currently. I will work on getting those over also.

No registration possible currently, as I want to get the wiki in a better shape before people start work so any stuff I don't wont override edits.
skatulskijean

Post by skatulskijean »

Thanks for all your work again !!

Grüße Jan
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

for preservation purposes:
daily xml dumps of the wiki are available here ftp://ftp.exotica.org.uk/pub/xbmc4xbox/wiki/dumps/
images from the wiki (none yet) will be available from ftp://ftp.exotica.org.uk/pub/xbmc4xbox/wiki/files/
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Missing images are currently being copied from the xbmc wiki via a little script

Code: Select all

#!/bin/perl

use strict;
use MediaWiki::API;

my $mw_o = MediaWiki::API->new();
$mw_o->{config}->{api_url} = 'http://wiki.xbmc.org/api.php';
$mw_o->{config}->{files_url} = 'http://wiki.xbmc.org';

my $mw_n = MediaWiki::API->new();
$mw_n->{config}->{api_url} = 'http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/mediawiki/api.php';
$mw_n->login( {lgname => 'xbmc4xbox bot', lgpassword => '***********' } );

my $res = $mw_n->{ua}->get('http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/mediawiki/index.php?title=Special:WantedFiles&limit=500&offset=0');
die "Failed to get WantedFiles html" unless $res->is_success;

my $html = $res->decoded_content;

while ($html =~ m#wiki/File:(.*?)\"#msg) {
  my $missing = $1;
  print "$missing\n";
  my $ref= $mw_o->get_page( { title => "File:$missing" } );

my $comment = $ref->{'*'};
  my $file = $mw_o->download( { title => "File:$missing"} );
  $mw_n->edit( {
    action => 'upload',
    filename => $missing,
    comment => $comment,
    file => [ undef, $missing, Content => $file ],
    ignorewarnings => 1,
    bot => 1
    }) || die $mw_n->{error}->{code};
}
http://search.cpan.org/~exobuzz/MediaWiki-API/ is pretty handy, even if I do say so myself ;-)
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

The wiki is now open for registration.

Some pages are still missing (see http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/wiki/Special:WantedPages) - and I am still pulling them in from the xbmc wiki. All the data is still over there. Some pages have been deleted there, and so only admins can access the old content (I have admin access there). Other pages were just moved, so the history got moved to the new page, so the text can be extracted from there.

There are a number of missing images, or pages linking to files that no longer exist.

there is lots of text that is not relevent anymore too, as we only care about the xbox1 software.

Happy for anyone who would like to come on board to organise the wiki etc.
mrmajikbus45

Post by mrmajikbus45 »

Rebuilding it now. Any help or ideas will be appreciated. I have a vision to rebuild it only to be XBMC4XBox. It's going to rock out when done. If you're not interested in helping, keep an eye on the wiki to watch for revisions...
A strong man doesn't need to read the future, he makes his own. -Solid Snake
American as Guile!
Get your Chimp on!
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

Well done mrmajikbus45, you've got our support, give it your best shot :-)
xman

Post by xman »

A big thumbs up to Mrmajikbus45. What an outstanding gesture for a relatively new member to our forum. Feel free to ask me of anything you need help with Mrmajikbus45 in the Wiki regarding hardmodding or big arsed HDD installs or anything else in my forte when we speak on TeamSpeak. I would only be to happy to help in that respect. It would be a nice gesture by all our members to PM you of any issues they may find in the Wiki or rather than PMs, maybe a thread titled "Wiki Shortfalls" may be more convenient. A thread may be the better way to go because then it would be a collective consensuses as to proper instructions on a particular matter rather than just one person PMing you on matters you may not be 100% certain of yourself. Anyway, thank you sir for the effort. :D
mrmajikbus45

Post by mrmajikbus45 »

Thanks fellas. Though for short, you can call me Rob or Majik...
American as Guile!
Get your Chimp on!
mrmajikbus45

Post by mrmajikbus45 »

Coming soon to the Wiki, the recompile of the Wiki as it appeared in March of 2012. Let's start from there and move forward, shall we? Basically, this makes the modifications that I have made thus far null, as many of the items are covered in better detail. This was a massive undertaking in testing/retesting while pulling things down from an archival site. It was a pain in the ass, but it needed done. Please allow me a few days to polish it up, and correct/add in links (i.e. the stuff Heimdall did, links into our current forums, and various image grabbing as the ones that were there are no longer in the Wiki.) I believe you will be happy by returning it somewhat to normal as you old-schoolers remember it. The changes will begin being implemented this weekend 1/24/14-1/26/14 (US East coast).

Any other recommendations or ideas, please feel free to contact me, or go and edit the Wiki yourself if you would like. Remember, vandalism will not be tolerated.
Last edited by mrmajikbus45 on Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
American as Guile!
Get your Chimp on!
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

im not sure what you mean sorry - can you explain in more detail ?

you mean changing data from that retrieved from archive.org etc ? A lot of stuff we have now we wouldn't want replaced by that, but there could be some stuff we miss - btw I have an old archive of stuff from archive.org/google cache from the old wiki - should have asked :)
mrmajikbus45

Post by mrmajikbus45 »

I found it. I was meaning we have a large supply of stuff from archive.org that's not even close to being covered in our current wiki. Seemed smart to merge it in with our library. I wasn't saying a replacement, but a reunification of sorts. We have missing information, it has it. We also have quite a bit of mainline stuff on there now, and you said to make it more XBMC4Xbox only oriented. I am trying, and pulling information from anywhere that I can find it. I unfortunately do not have all the answers, which is why I keep asking for help on this.

I'm just trying to put everything back together and make "Humpty Dumpty" whole again.
American as Guile!
Get your Chimp on!
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

might be worth giving some examples of stuff, so we can co-ordinate and discuss what to update etc. maybe upload a page somewhere to illustrate missing content. Will give me a better picture of things.
mrmajikbus45

Post by mrmajikbus45 »

I will do the page elsewhere. Just to show you how it will look in the end. I think you will find it quite informative. I will compile the pages in its own Wiki starting tonight, and PM you the link to it for overview. Remember, it will not be done for a few days, as I am nowhere near complete. It's an arduous task, and I welcome it. :)
American as Guile!
Get your Chimp on!
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

how do you intend to transfer the archived data to wiki being that the archived data is the output of the wikitext and not the wikitext itself ? That could be a problem and time consuming to re-do it.

I think it would be worthwhile to just do a couple of pages rather than everything and go from there so I can have a better picture of what you intend. Cheers.
mrmajikbus45

Post by mrmajikbus45 »

By copy/paste or retyping it.
American as Guile!
Get your Chimp on!
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

will be some work to reformat etc though due to loss of wiki markup, but sure that will work. I'm still interested in seeing a couple of examples though first, as there was more spam contributions than anything else on the old wiki, and it would be good to refresh in mind what we miss, and if it is still relevant to the current version.
Dom DXecutioner

Wiki Reconstruction

Post by Dom DXecutioner »

Just a thought... Wouldn't it be easier to copy mainline (merge) and then revise it for xbmc4xbox content.

Formatting while reviewing, I would imagine, would take significantly longer; whereas merging a copy, then revising it would be easiest and not as time consuming.

Much content of mainline now applies to xbmc4xbox since many changes have been merged from mainline in recent months; aside from the obvious, which would be addons and some windows.

Unless you're going for a complete redesign, interface-wise. In which case you can still have some vbscript to parse tags and apply to a new design.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Dom DXecutioner wrote:Just a thought... Wouldn't be easier to copy mainline (merge) and then revise it for xbmc4xbox content.
that is exactly how the wiki was re-constructed currently but based on an older snapshot. An XML dump from mainline was used but rolled back to ~ 2010, and some manual fix ups for moved pages etc. there are still some bits missing. I went like that rather than taking the current mainline and revising that as their current wiki lacks a lot of xbox stuff and it made sense to start with an older one and move it forwards.