Wiki Reconstruction

Post ideas or dicuss development of the Blog / Forum / Bugtracker etc
Dom DXecutioner

Wiki Reconstruction

Post by Dom DXecutioner »

There really isn't too much xbox only related content; in my experience, anyway. Though I could be mistaken!
BuZz
Site Admin

Re: Wiki Reconstruction

Post by BuZz »

quite a bit - http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/mediawiki/i ... earch=xbox

some of that is "xbox media center" text which should be changed, but there is a fair splattering of xbox stuff around the wiki. Anyway, what we have now isn't all that bad - it just needs some cleaning up and maybe slimming down a bit. I have put many days of work into getting this back and cleaning it up so I'd rather not start again :)
mrmajikbus45

Post by mrmajikbus45 »

Okay, so I'm about to put the brakes on here. So what is it that you want? You tell me the other day to make it XBMC4Xbox only, now you're saying to leave in the mainline stuff but prune it back. I hope you can understand how this is frustrating me as I have put in a decent amount of work on this side. Still is a pain in the ass I would say, but I really need you to be clear, concise, and very specific in your answer to this question... What the hell do you want it to be? It just seems anytime that I have an idea that would benefit the wiki itself, I get questioned to its integrity. I do not feel attacked, I feel annoyed that something which was ignored for so long now becomes someone's baby...

Look, I'm not trying to be a dick, but there were no specific instructions except for "make it xbmc4xbox". It's infuriating that the stuff I want to add is from an older wiki about the same damn program. What I'm adding will NOT hurt anything, and I don't plan on doing a complete overhaul. I just want it to be the XBMC4XBOX wiki, not XBMC's wiki... they have their own. I can link people to it.
A strong man doesn't need to read the future, he makes his own. -Solid Snake
American as Guile!
Get your Chimp on!
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

mrmajikbus45 wrote:Okay, so I'm about to put the brakes on here. So what is it that you want? You tell me the other day to make it XBMC4Xbox only, now you're saying to leave in the mainline stuff but prune it back. I hope you can understand how this is frustrating me as I have put in a decent amount of work on this side. Still is a pain in the ass I would say, but I really need you to be clear, concise, and very specific in your answer to this question... What the hell do you want it to be? It just seems anytime that I have an idea that would benefit the wiki itself, I get questioned to its integrity. I do not feel attacked, I feel annoyed that something which was ignored for so long now becomes someone's baby...
I'm not saying that. I was saying what I have already done.

What I am saying is to please show me what you have done before you continue. I have seen a few edits on the wiki but nothing else. If you have an idea it would be useful to illustrate it with a couple of pages. I'm not sure what missing content you are referring to for example - there will only be a few bits I should think from the lost wiki, which can be just manually put into the current wiki.

The wiki has not been ignored btw - I have put a lot of work into it. I have done hundreds of edits.

I have no idea why you are getting annoyed as I am only asking for you to illustrate to me your idea. I do this sort of thing for a living, and I think it's useful for everyone to know what's going on rather than someone going off and doing something in private which may end up to not be as useful as you might think - I just need a clear picture of what you intend to do.
mrmajikbus45

Post by mrmajikbus45 »

Not getting annoyed by you having me illustrate... I am annoyed because you basically told Dom that what we have is fine, and only needs trimming. I feel that as wrong. So much of the stuff in there is mainline, and so little is strictly xbmc4xbox. I honestly don't know what it is that you want still... You didn't answer the question that I asked.

I think I will take a break.
A strong man doesn't need to read the future, he makes his own. -Solid Snake
American as Guile!
Get your Chimp on!
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

mrmajikbus45 wrote:Not getting annoyed by you having me illustrate... I am annoyed because you basically told Dom that what we have is fine, and only needs trimming. I feel that as wrong. So much of the stuff in there is mainline, and so little is strictly xbmc4xbox. I honestly don't know what it is that you want still... You didn't answer the question that I asked.

I think I will take a break.
That is how I feel about it - but feel free to demonstrate what you want. The current wiki is not a lot worse than the old wiki, so I am still unsure as to where you want to take it. The old wiki also had lots of mainline stuff in it. I want the current wiki to be cleaned up and improved. Structure fixes, categories, improved content, broken links and tuned to our product. I feel this is best accomplished as a gradual thing. If you think you have a better idea, then please do show me.

There is no need to get so stressed about it - this is just a discussion. The wiki is certainly not a one man job anyway. the best course is lots of people gradually improving the content as they go. but I'm open to other ideas too.
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

If I may suggest, if not too much trouble for you Buzz, can you offer Rob (mrmajikbus45) a fresh new wiki repository (/wiki_new or whatever you decide) where he can start it the way he wants without affecting the existing wiki (maybe have a different background color to easily differentiate between and avoid accidental updates into the wrong one). This way the existing wiki will stay the way it is, maybe grow a little over the next period, while allowing Rob to prove and show his vision in the new one.

I'm sure everyone has a different idea about how it should all go, I agree in a way with you Buzz that a wiki is a community group effort where everyone will contribute, but let's be honest the project is at a stage where very few contribute, and if someone is willing to take it on, the least we can do is give them a playground to prove their point. That would be my suggestion.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

I would need to see something first before I spend time setting up some new site. I would also rather pull the current wiki into shape than start again. I have already done a lot of that (even in the last couple of days). If someeone has an idea, then it would be best to do some sort of mock up first, before time is spent installing software and configuring a website. Also bearing in mind, there have been multiple people offering to help in the past, and nothing ever came of it, so I would like to see something first.

My personal feeling is if everyone fixed something when they saw something missing on the wiki it would already be sorted (to a degree). This isn't going to change whether we have a new wiki or the current one - hence we are better off continuing with what we have. That said, if I am shown some idea, then I would consider setting something up perhaps.
professor_jonny

Post by professor_jonny »

how do i embed pictures from my pc to the wiki.
can i use tortisesvn as it only seems the webeditor accepts local hosted files there is no parth to a source for upload
professor_jonny

would it not be easier to import the current xbmc wiki and add xbmc4xbox related content as a fork to pritty it up?

it sems a shame as their site has spiffy icons etc and has a lot more info that we could merge the xbox related content in and just remove stuff not needed?

im wondering if one could inmprt the current xbmc wiki and imbed the current wiki in a link from the main wiki page called old wiki then merge it in ir is there issuies with file names as i see the wiki pages dont reference paths for the anchors like other wikis eg:

[[wiki:/oldwiki/main]]
[[wiki:/newwiki/main]]
Last edited by professor_jonny on Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Editing

and specifically

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Images

You should probably familiarise yourself with mediawiki a bit before doing any editing. source control is built into the mediawiki software, and editing is done via a browser.

Images are uploaded via the http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/wiki/Special:Upload page, and then referenced as described above.

in regards to importing xbmc wiki - that has already been done. Our wiki is based off the xbmc wiki, but from 2010 (with some newer stuff manually moved over.) Updating from xbmc now and adding xbmc4xbox stuff would be more work than has already been done working from the older dump, due to the amount of information that has changed etc (and there is no way I am throwing away the work I have already done :) ). We can easily have some icons etc like they have, but I am far more concerned about accuracy of information and navigational structure than making it beautiful currently.
professor_jonny

I'm not aksing for a complete scrap that im asking if we could have the two along side each from the same start page and i could merge the old content and link the new pages to the links from your edits.

I realise there may be an issue with wiki page names and wondering if the two sites could be depreicated into a path

it looks like you can with a media wiki:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Subpages

when using anchors and creating pages you create the wiki like so and you can have duplicate pages:

Code: Select all

start page
[[wiki:/newwiki/main | new wiki]]
[[wiki:/currentwiki/main | current wiki]]
I think it wont be a problem as all pages seem to span out from the current path

this way we could have two wiki's spaning from the first page.
I would be happy to remove the unrelated content from the new xbmc and merge in what you have done as there is a lot of new content from the xbmc wiki that could be usefull.

As once the links are deleted i guess there is something to show you the pages are not linked from the wiki any where so you can remove them.

but the main reason I ask is for the structure point as It will make it easier to snipit content from xbmc wiki as you and the rest of the xbmc4xbox team merge features plugins etc from mainline.

I have not read all of the mediawiki help yet but im reading some of it slowly.

im just suggesting things here as it is easyier to delete non needed stuff as oposed to adding content that does not exist.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

There is no need to have two running alongside - sorry I don't agree. would be better to gradually improve the current data and move it around as needed. Mostly we just need information updates, and some improved structure/navigational elements.
professor_jonny

how do i get a list of files and pictures on the server?
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

codeasm

Post by codeasm »

This thread seems to be the most appropriate to reply to, but very old.

I spotted an typo on https://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/wiki/HOW-T ... C_for_Xbox
5778 doesnt excist or its some very rare one. doesnt it need to be 5788.1 ?
Creating a wiki account is inposible because "Your IP address is listed as an open proxy in the DNSBL used by XBMC4Xbox."

I hope I could contribute to fixing the error by just replying here. else ill ask mods to relocate this reply or at least check the wiki page.
Thanks, Codeasm
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

codeasm wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 1:03 pm Creating a wiki account is inposible because "Your IP address is listed as an open proxy in the DNSBL used by XBMC4Xbox."
You should be able to register now.