Settings, Addons and Script Issues

Discussion of plugin / script development for XBMC4Xbox
toot toot

Settings, Addons and Script Issues

Post by toot toot »

I'm about to throw away my Xbox. I've had XBMC for many years and just upgraded to 3.5. I installed the X3 mod many years ago and it has been working well. I see all of these great things that others can do with their Xboxes. Having tutorials to watch is wonderful. Unfortunately, none of the XBMC4XBOX builds that I have tried have the options that everyone else seems to have.
- I do not have an addons section in the settings. I have tried, tried, tried, tried, tried and tried to load some basic addons. Almost all be coming up with "Error, Script Failed!".
- I have manually added scripts, I have used the Addons4Xbox Installer. Neither seems to do much.
- When I select Programs>Scripts, nothing is there. I also do not have an "Add Source" option in the "Scripts" tab. When I go into the file manager and look under the XBMC build, I do have a "scripts" folder with all of the scripts that come with the build and additional ones I've added.
- I have tried 5 different builds of 3.5 over the last 3 weeks. I have tried tweaking the files.
I have watched many videos (again, everyone else's build seems different) and read massive amounts of information on forums to try and get this to work for me.
Currently I have build 3.5 r32977 running. I obtained the build from XBMC4Xbox Installer plugin (that is one of the few that work, others from the XBMC site do not work, again - Error, Script Failed!).
I am giving this 1 more week before I submit to my Xbox as being, just an Xbox.
If anyone has any advice at all, please let me know where I am going wrong. I am starting from scratch ..... again. If I am missing some big secret, pleas let me know.
bigkidoz

Re: Settings, Addons and Script Issues

Post by bigkidoz »

To be honest there are not many scripts that work anymore so i dont bother with them, xbox is still my main media playing device which it still does very well.
Sent from my android coz apple is for pie.
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

Scripts & plugins (Addons) are two different things.

So if you install an Addon it won't apear in the scripts menu, since well. It's an addon. (Unless in 3.5 it changed?)
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

@toot toot
A short history of it.

"Scripts" were the first implementation allowing to add functionality (generally media from internet or tools or whatever) without having to change the XBMC4Xbox itself, and generally they had custom UIs only the best of them went to the effort to make their UI look like XBMC4Xbox. They were a bit of a pain to code and like Bigidoz says, probably very few if none are still around, or any of any interest to most users really. They reside in Q:\scripts, if you upload them in there you will see them in Main > Scripts, no need to add any soruces. Those with name beggining with a . are not shown (hidden).

"Plugins" are practically Python scripts themselvs, but they are an evolution - they allow a programmer to build a UI interface that looks like the rest of XBMC4Xbox (generally text lists or media lists). They reside in their respective folders, depending on media type - Q:\plugins\programs, Q:\plugins\video, Q:\plugins\music etc. You can access them through their respective media menus e.g. Main > Programs (down) > Plugins, Main > Video (down) > Plugins, Main > Music (down) > Plugins etc (might be different for skins other than Confluence Lite).

"Addons" - a term coming from mainline XBMC and it is really an umbrella term (everything is an addon really: scripts, plugins, skins etc). That was to introduce an overall management and update system, and the design change affected a little how a plugin was written, that's why if you want to install mainline XBMC addons (plugins) you need to use Addons4Xbox Installer as it knows how to convert it and deploy it in the appropriate folders to use.

Not all XBMC addons (plugins) work on XBMC4Xbox, and to understand what exactly doesn't work you need to provide us with a debug log where it shows exactly what is not working and possibly why, read this: http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewt ... p?f=6&t=65

PS: If you still want to throw your Xbox away, should rather put it on the market here :-) http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=16
toot toot

Post by toot toot »

Thanks for the help! In the last 24 hours I tinkered with some items that solved several issues for me:
- I had just upgraded to the HD kit as I was updating my system. Although the 1080i picture looks great, I didn't realize it's effect on my RAM. So what was happening is that I was unable to get most addons to extract or load. Lowering the resolution allowed for more RAM so that the system can function well enough to extract, load, altogether work better. Rebooting the system occasionally, reducing the load on the RAM by simplifying the processes, and monitoring the RAM usage while doing complex operations have allowed quite a few of the issues to be resolved. I am now looking to upgrade the RAM, but that may be unnecessary.
- @Dan Dar3 - thanks for the information. After reading tons of information over the last two weeks, I became confused. I re-read some of the Wiki explanations and refocused myself on making the information a little simpler for me to understand. Your reply confirms that I am on the right track now. I was actually looking at updating scripts this morning and realized that I need not do that. The scripts that come with the build are fine and any sponsored plugin that I get from legitimate sources should not need any additions.
Thank you again for your replies, I will update this post as I get everything running.
Happy New Year!
toot toot

Post by toot toot »

Also, if anyone has any tips to contribute to reducing the amount of RAM used, that would be very helpful. Here is what I have gathered:
- lower the screen resolution
- disable thumbnails, art work, etc.
- reboot the system occasionally to clear any lingering usage
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

@toot toot
Somewhat in an order of complexity: