Seagate 750 gig ide

Got some hardware to sell, trade, or want to buy something. Post your details here.
arzy

Seagate 750 gig ide

Post by arzy »

Hi All

I have a few 750 gig ide's available? Are these worth anything?
Geeba

Re: Seagate 750 gig ide

Post by Geeba »

If you do a search on ebay for completed listings on a 750gb IDE drive they're fetching £40 roughly... depends on condition aswell I would imagine SMART output etc.
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

Yes. They are the largest HDD available without requiring a SATA adapter. Are they for sale? Where do they ship from?
professor_jonny

Post by professor_jonny »

I have looked at the WD drives about creating a drive in excess of 750gb with a PCB swap and in theory the biggest drive you could make in native ide I think would be 3tb from a bit of investigation.

The WD Caviar Blue (WD5000AAKB) is the biggest drive available in ide but the SATA drive's in the same platform went all the way up to 3tb in the wd red drives, 2tb in the inteli green drives and 1tb in the blue.

Basically it would require reprogramming of the on disk firmware and reprogramming of the adaptive head parameters to suit the head stack and platter alignment this would require a ttl logic adaptor.

What you would do is read off the adaptive head parameters and dump them on the ide pcb.
Then you would reprogram the firmware using the sata pcb on the donor drive.
you in theory would just then swap the pcb over and away you go.