[Skin] Rapier Clarity Mod (3.5.49)

Discussion and development of skins for XBMC4XBOX
fxmech

Re: [Skin] Rapier Clarity Mod (3.5.4)

Post by fxmech »

Blackshadow wrote: [...] im using this skin and loving it havnt had any memory issues and the screen can be read fromt he other side of the room whilst laying on my sofa with the dvd remote like the lazy SOB that i am :D
Oh yeah, that's the stuff right there! A blessed life.
l11l1venom1l11l

Post by l11l1venom1l11l »

Byron,

I absolutely love the work you've done. It is by FAR the only newer skin I've truly enjoyed since the original PMIII (not HD). I am in the process of downsizing images to use as individual menu backgrounds. Thanks to you, this skin really flies on the Xbox while looking spectacular, even with music visualizations or videos playing in the background.

Do you have any plans to add a 3D coverflow view? I am using the Poster view right now in programs and videos, which looks great, but I'm a big fan of Coverflow.

There are a couple things I'd like to modify myself in this skin and am trying to figure out the right XML files to edit. Any help would be greatly appreciated:

1.) For the Poster view in programs (games), game boxart is stretched vertically just a little too much. I think I found the right sections to edit to get them into the perfect format in the MyPrograms.xml, so I will get back to you with the results.

EDIT: Success. I was able to shorten the icons in order to make it look correct. Changed the height of the border (or background) to 272 pixels from 300, and the Icons themselves from 292 pixels to 261.

2.) The reflection of the highlighted icon: Can we apply this reflection to all icons, instead of having it disappear as the icon is slid out of focus?

3.) The "gloss" overlay: is there a way to make it fade out from boxart while that boxart is being moved out of focus? It looks great on the boxart that is in focus, but the it quickly snaps or shuts off from that icon as it is moved away from the center of the screen. I currently leave it disabled for this reason.

4.) The Home Screen: The visualizers and movie playback are dimmed here. Is there a way to disable this? It works well in all other sections, but just seems unnecessary on the Home Screen.

5.) Upon launch, the Home Page defaults to "Music." Is there a way to change this? I'd like it to start with "Programs" Highlighted instead, as that is what the box is mainly used for.

Thanks for all of your hard work. It's never been possible for me to find a perfect skin, but this is definitely the closest I've come. Those are truly the last things that are keeping it from pleasing my OCD lol.

Edited as no one has yet responded.
byron

Post by byron »

Hey, sorry for the delayed response...I thought I could knock out what you were asking for quickly and it turned out to be the usual deep overhaul I tend to go with (and btw yes I would like to add coverflow views to this skin) :) I updated my project so please do another checkout and see what you think. I made the poster icons exact 5x7 (same as an xbox game case), and that's what took so facking long...I'm a perfectionist at heart. Also, as far as the white border you were talking about...I put a work around in there for you, but you're going to need to copy and paste this:

MyPrograms.xml (( @ line 266 )):

Code: Select all

<!--Thumbs-->	
	<control type="image"> 
		<description>Cover</description>
		<posx>25</posx>
		<posy>32</posy>
		<width>175</width>
		<height>144</height>
		<texture background="true">$INFO[ListItem.Thumb]</texture>
		<aspectratio align="" aligny="bottom">keep</aspectratio>
		<bordertexture border="6" diffuse="">special://skin/images/skin/WhiteBorder.png</bordertexture>
		<bordersize>5</bordersize>
		<animation effect="zoom" end="115" center="auto" time="0">focus</animation>
		<animation effect="zoom" start="115" center="auto" time="0">unfocus</animation>
		<visible>!IsEmpty(ListItem.Thumb)</visible>
	</control>
That should work I'm guessing, but you can play around with the border size to your liking.
l11l1venom1l11l wrote: 2.) The reflection of the highlighted icon: Can we apply this reflection to all icons, instead of having it disappear as the icon is slid out of focus?

3.) The "gloss" overlay: is there a way to make it fade out from boxart while that boxart is being moved out of focus? It looks great on the boxart that is in focus, but the it quickly snaps or shuts off from that icon as it is moved away from the center of the screen. I currently leave it disabled for this reason.

4.) The Home Screen: The visualizers and movie playback are dimmed here. Is there a way to disable this? It works well in all other sections, but just seems unnecessary on the Home Screen.

5.) Upon launch, the Home Page defaults to "Music." Is there a way to change this? I'd like it to start with "Programs" Highlighted instead, as that is what the box is mainly used for.
--- EDIT ---------------------------------------

2.) Done

3.) Agreed...and fixed

4.) Done

5.) Spent a while looking into this, not really something I want to delve into right now. I got all of the things set up in skin settings for it, but implementing them on startup is an entirely different story. Is it possible...yea I could do it, but it would be painstaking to say the least. The only way I could figure out how to even remotely make it work was by using Control.Move(ID,offset). That would be fine if the home menu never changed, but if someone changed the home menu from skin settings then that means that condition would only work for a static menu. Long story short, each category would need 11 conditional <onload> functions (more or less) and at 11 categories that's 121 lines of conditional garbage that I don't what to write from scratch right now, not to mention the fact that it would all happen at startup and bog down the entire session imo. I'm not saying I wouldn't do it eventually, but it would be wonderful if you could provide an example of a skin that already has this feature so I have something to go off of...in the meantime if you really wanted to just start in the programs container all you have to do is edit Startup.xml and change:

Code: Select all

<control type="button" id="10">
	<description>Trigger</description>
	<onfocus>ReplaceWindow(Home)</onfocus>
	<texturenofocus>-</texturenofocus>
	<texturefocus>-</texturefocus>
</control>

to...

<control type="button" id="10">
	<description>Trigger</description>
	<onfocus>ReplaceWindow(Programs)</onfocus>
	<texturenofocus>-</texturenofocus>
	<texturefocus>-</texturefocus>
</control>
Honestly I even compiled a new build with some c++ changes implementing ActivateWindowAndFocus/ReplaceWindowAndFocus but it still didn't help (sorry on this one).

Here's a screenshot of the changes I made to Programs LargePoster (added a lighter background - which is removable from the view settings - to make the reflections easier to see as well):
newposter.jpg
------------------------------------------------

Glad you like what I've done, and again...sorry for the delay in responding. Recently I've been playing around with several projects and your post caught me a bit by surprise. Please keep me posted on what you're thinking...feedback is very much welcomed!
byron

Re: [Skin] Rapier Clarity Mod (3.5.41)

Post by byron »

SLIGHT VERSION BUMP (3.5.41)

CHANGELOG

Lots of changes, but that pretty much sums it up.
l11l1venom1l11l

You are THE MAN. I can't wait to try this out. For the past week I've been on a hunt to find the perfect current XBMC4XBOX skin, even finding some after my last post, and yours is still (again, by far) the best. I actually found a link with every single one that's up to date and the only one that even comes close to working as well as yours is Elipsis, but it's not quite as fast or pretty. I went on a photohunt for backgrounds for Rapier-Clarity and am currently in the process of creating new emulator icons for every single emulator the Xbox has to offer. This includes individual icons for multi-emulators (like NeoGenesis that will emulate Genesis, CD and 32X). The emulators will be separated by category (Arcade Cabinets, Home Computers, Game Consoles) > Brand (Sega, Nintendo, Sony, etc.) > System. I'm using some existing PNGs, but cleaning up jagged edges and whatnot. So this is a big project for me and your work is basically the envelope for it. So, again...I can't thank you enough for doing the work that you've done.

As far as backgrounds for your skin go, I've found that JPEGs under 350KB load instantaneously (at least from a 7200RPM HDD). I've kept all of the images I've found at an approximate 1200x700 resolution and (after resizing mostly from 1080x1920) saved them at high-quality .jpg compression quality ranging from 10-12 in Photoshop. They look beautiful and I will upload them if you'd like as soon as I have the opportunity. I'm still working on finding more, but I have roughly at least 6 backgrounds for each category. This is the main reason I wanted to get rid of dimming on the home screen, let alone movie and visualizer playback - when the homescreen dimmed, it would darken the images and show off their compression characteristics. All of the images I'm attaching to the skin are based on raw photography - so nothing clearly photoshopped, no obnoxious photo-filters, just actual photographs. I think you'll be intrigued once you see it in action.

When I'm done with the backgrounds and the emulator icons, I will begin working on my Xbox Lies project again - boxart for all of the Homebrew games, ports, and individual game-rips from compilations and special edition discs. This is why I wanted coverflow so badly.

I will chime in again this weekend with an update on my end. And thanks again for knocking out those questions. The Music section appearing first at launch is really the last thing that I care about, for the record.
byron

Post by byron »

Did a lot of work over the weekend bringing Cover Flow into reality for this skin (keeping it as true to style as possible)...
CoverFlow.jpg
I at least have it where I want it I think...adding the view everywhere I want it to be is going to take some time, hopefully within a week or so I'll have it done throughout all of the containers (music, music library, videos, video library, programs, scripts). Might just be wishful thinking but who knows, maybe I'll get there by then :)

@ venom...
As far as backgrounds for your skin go, I've found that JPEGs under 350KB load instantaneously (at least from a 7200RPM HDD). I've kept all of the images I've found at an approximate 1200x700 resolution and (after resizing mostly from 1080x1920) saved them at high-quality .jpg compression quality ranging from 10-12 in Photoshop. They look beautiful and I will upload them if you'd like as soon as I have the opportunity. I'm still working on finding more, but I have roughly at least 6 backgrounds for each category. This is the main reason I wanted to get rid of dimming on the home screen, let alone movie and visualizer playback - when the homescreen dimmed, it would darken the images and show off their compression characteristics. All of the images I'm attaching to the skin are based on raw photography - so nothing clearly photoshopped, no obnoxious photo-filters, just actual photographs. I think you'll be intrigued once you see it in action.
not sure if you saw it in the skin settings, but there is a multi-image custom background option in the skin settings. It should work, maybe that's what you're talking about. I'll tell you this though, from what I've found the less res on the images the more ram you're going to save. Maybe splitting hairs at some point (quality vs. performance) and I did the best I could with the stock backgrounds...obviously the quality isn't the greatest with them. In fact, the non-home windows are like 300x200 and the dim gives the illusion of anything but that. I'm curious to see what kind of hit the session takes using 1280x700...the home for what I package is 600x(aspect ratio kept for what ever the res was of the originals I have before downsizing).

This also brings to my attention another flaw with the list views when the background isn't dimmed...it's almost impossible to read the list because of the transparency of the item-backs. I'm aware, I plan on getting that fixed before I push another release, and in the mean time keep me posted on what you're up to. I'm sure everyone here would really appreciate anything you can offer as far new icons and boxart...sharing anything is awesom imo, best of luck with that.
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

As far as quality goes:

If you are rocking Photoshop, you can optimize all this stuff by using the ctl+alt+shift+s shortcut , "save as for web ..."

It can make trying different formats/compression/resolution concerns way easier. Just open the original copy and do the above.
l11l1venom1l11l

I haven't had a chance to try the new version of the skin this weekend like I had planned. I did host a party on Saturday, though, and a lot of people got to see the previous version in action. I've modded Xboxes for a lot my friends and after seeing your skin they all want an upgrade lol. They're not savvy when it comes to the box, but they were impressed so I'll be spreading the skin around as soon as you have a rather finalized version.

I had work today until midnight. I work at a pharmaceutical helpdesk and didn't have a single call, so I got almost all of the icons finished. I haven't had a chance to try them yet. I'm hoping that by feathering out all of the edges of the brand logos and system PNGs that all jaggies will be eliminated. Even the icons that other users have released are rather rough looking in XBMC. I did test one after smoothing it out in Photoshop and it looked perfect, so I hope it's the case for all of them. I still have like 10 to get through tomorrow, so if they look right I will definitely upload them. I'd actually like to hand them over to you, Byron, so you could include them with your skin. Should be a rather small zip file. Same goes for the boxart I'll be getting back to this week. Here is a link to most of the boxes I've finished so far. Photobucket really sucks, so I'll have to upload them all to a different site before they're usable:

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/l11l1Ve ... BOX%20LIES

As far as photos in the 720p range go, I haven't noticed much of a hit. It seems as though only one image is stored in RAM at a time because it will rest easy on roughly 36MB of RAM (free) while displaying each image and only drop to about 34MB during the transition. Absolutely no extra lag in switching between menus or even while flipping through game boxart while the background image is changing. I have not tested it while running any plugins however.

I'll be testing everything out tomorrow night and getting back to you on Tuesday. Really excited about the coverflow addition!
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

The backgrounds should be at 480p if you ask me. They should scale without looking horrid and then all the people rocking the lower res don't have to put up with the RAM overhead. When running plugins we should be safe.
l11l1venom1l11l

Thanks, fxmech, for the Photoshop tip. And yes, the 720p images do in fact impact the RAM. The difference between 480p versions (around 100kb each) and 720p versions (about 250kb each) is around 3-4 MB, depending on how many images are loading for each category. So, I've also decided to keep them at 480p. I will upload them later tonight so you guys can use them if you'd like. They are noticeably cleaner than the skin's default backgrounds and don't seem to impact performance in any way.

Byron,
Awesome job with the new version! Man, you are really pounding this out. I'm pretty sure this will be everyone's skin of choice as soon as Coverflow comes into play. Just having multiple view choices is huge for a skin, and I'm really not sure why most skins out there don't include many out of the box. Seems to me like, if you're going to make a completely new skin from scratch and do all that work, you might as well include some nice views for it. But...I'm ignorant when it comes to all the coding that needs to be done. Minimedia was cool because it had tons of view options...just wasn't very Xbox friendly.

Anyway, two last questions:

1.) The homescreen looks amazing when videos and visualizers are playing now. And thank you for making the "dimming" a settings option rather than completely disabling it. The background photos however are still dimmed. Can we add an option for disabling this as well? It looks like the option is under the backgrounds section under each category, but it doesn't seem to make a difference whether it's on or off. For example, if you go into the Pictures category from the home menu, the backgrounds will display at full brightness. This is actually kind of strange as I think they should definitely dim here, but I think they should be displayed with full brightness on the homescreen. You can definitely compare the difference in brightness that way, though. I really just think the brighter the home menu in this skin, the more it pops.

2.) I think this an XBMC thing, not so much related to this skin - is there a way to hide the "Program plugins" icon from the Programs > Files menu? I can't seem to change its thumbnail or capitalize the damn "P" in "plugins" lol. That is driving me insane. If I remove the Addons Installer from the "Programs" folder inside the "plugins" folder, the icon disappears, but it seems to break its functionality as well.

The reason I'm trying to make this as tidy as possible is because I'll be modding about 10 Xboxes and giving them away as Christmas presents to people who aren't really savvy. They'll be getting them with your skin set as default, in kiosk mode, with password locks on all the settings menus and the file manager. Lol it's amazing how many people go in and start deleting files/changing settings and hand me back nearly bricked Xboxes.

Anyway, thanks for all the hard work once again and I will upload the images I've been working with as soon as I can tonight.
byron

Post by byron »

@ fxmech...you'll definitely wanna check this out:
RES.jpg
Took a bit of trickery and adding some stuff to includes...but well worth it. I added another folder (r-c-m/images/backgrounds/HI-RES) with all of the same backgrounds that come stock except they are 960x540 which seems to be the standard for all of these skins. A simple click there and all of the BG images get a nice upscale to that res. Suprisingly, not too much of a performance hit (from the bigger images OR the includes that it took to make this work). In fact - and I could be mistaken here - it appears that when backing out of other windows and returning to (Home) that more ram is avail than before. I made it so that if the backgrounds (not HOME) are dimmed it grabs the smaller images in the backgrounds folder (can't even see the higher quality while dimmed), and when not dimmed it switches to grabbing the same image displayed on the home screen.

@ venom...yea, just kinda got into a groove :)

1)
HomeDim.jpg
It's there now - and I think it's a nice option - but when used with lighter backgrounds and the transparent menus...not the greatest of combinations imo, however that's the beauty of being able to switch it on and off (default's to on). There's another slight dimming after the category sits for a second, but I'm not sure if it's my TV auto adjusting to the insanely bright picture or if it's a delayed animation somewhere in the code. I couldn't track it down, but either way I guess it'd be nice to know if it's my cheap tele...

2) You're on your own there...sorry

Also, not sure what revision of this you're running...but I totally knocked out CoverFlow for all of the music containers (themes included). I took a of time because I really tried to dial in everything at first so that spreading out to all of the other containers would be much easier...shouldn't be long I'm guessing before it's across the board.
l11l1venom1l11l wrote:The reason I'm trying to make this as tidy as possible is because I'll be modding about 10 Xboxes and giving them away as Christmas presents to people who aren't really savvy. They'll be getting them with your skin set as default, in kiosk mode, with password locks on all the settings menus and the file manager. Lol it's amazing how many people go in and start deleting files/changing settings and hand me back nearly bricked Xboxes.
:D I promise I'll stop changing stuff so quickly pretty soon, but I still have a list of things I would like to get done...that's the beauty of git and svn though, makes it pretty easy to update...

CHANGELOG
l11l1venom1l11l

Byron, you are killing it, brother. I can't keep up with you. I'm glad you're in this groove because I'm pretty convinced that this is the skin that will pretty much embalm the Xbox. The scene will exist forever, but as far as people out there doing the heavy lifting we're like the new Commodore 64 community. I will download the new version you posted last night and the changes you made today to try them tonight. I didn't have the dim homescreen backgrounds option yet. Here are the images I planned to upload. I don't have time to go through and make 900x500 versions, but you get the (roughly) 480p and 720p versions in this package:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B20ph5 ... sp=sharing

I finished scaling the icon pack today, too, but I still need to go through and organize each one into the right folders. Once I do that tomorrow I will upload them as well. They still don't look perfect, but I've eliminated as many jaggies as I can. XBMC simply doesn't adhere to the amount of anti-aliasing you do in Photoshop. This is probably the 5th time I've tried smoothing out the icons and it is indeed the last. They look fine, but I still wish they were better. At least they're all 200x200 now. You'd think they'd be better at 256x256 or even 512x512, but I've noticed that the more upscaling the XBMC4XBOX has to do, the more it smooths out the edges. Just don't want to make them too small because I don't want them to be blurry. Maybe I'll try 128x128 tomorrow, who knows. Again, sorry this is off-topic, I just think it's time to really include everything all in one package and your skin is that package.

Cheers, guys. Talk to you tomorrow after I play around with the latest changes.

EDIT: I tried downloading the latest changes and still don't see the "Dim Homescreen Backgrounds" option. This is all happening very fast and I'm not sure if I missed something silly. I noticed that you have a lot of .jpg's named "no dim" or along those lines, so I'm not sure if that option is specific to the default backgrounds that you've provided. I didn't download them yet. I'm going to wait for the next version you release because I'm fairly certain it will be within the next week. Knowing you, it will probably be in two hours, but I'm trying to find the fine line between reality and internet right now. I thought I had that all figured out and then I stumbled upon this thread...
byron

Post by byron »

It's all good...the setting is under HOME, not backgrounds. I wasn't sure which category to put it in so I just threw it under home. Yea, the NoDim images are for exactly that...a bigger version of the tiny version that's used when the screen (not home) is dimmed. All of the images have two sizes - one for home, one for other containers that's smaller - I'll spare you the rest of the details ;)

I took a minute to look at the images that you uploaded, I've been doing similar things for the last couple of days so I understand the fine line you're speaking of. What is it exactly that you're wanting me to do with these (and the icons)?
l11l1venom1l11l

Yeah, I still couldn't find it. Do I have to add the new images in order to see the option? Again, not a rush. I appreciate what you're doing a lot.

As far as the backgrounds I uploaded go - I don't necessarily want you to do anything with them - just thought some of them looked really good and you could use them if you'd like. Same for the icons, which I will upload today. It would be nice for a skin (especially an Xbox-focused skin) to include a consistent icon pack for emulators because they can be a pain for users to dig around the internet for. And I haven't found a collection of icons out there that are all sized the same, anti-aliased, etc. I'd like to say the same for unofficial ports/games/hacks boxart, too, but I won't have a complete package of those for quite some time.

Bascially, it seems to me like we're both interested in making the Xbox look like a complete, consistent and professional HD package. And I figured you might want to include the things I'm doing with your skin once you release a final version. Not a necessity, just an idea.
byron

Post by byron »

Ok, if you want the changes I've been making since here, the you'll have to do an SVN checkout or export from here:

https://rapier-clarity-mod.googlecode.com/svn/trunk

A checkout will give you a working copy that is easily updated via svn update, an export will give you a snapshot of the trunk that can be immediately transferred to the xbox (from checkout the hidden .svn folder can't transfer because the file names are too long). Checkout is the easiest if you're wanting immediate changes without downloading the entire skin every time you want updates...just turn on the ability to view hidden folders on your pc/mac and then you can transfer everything but the .svn folder and be good to go (or just the changes etc). Or, if you'd rather just wait eventually I'll push another release available from the OP and you can grab it from there. I just exported to make sure the changes I made are in the trunk and can confirm that the option to not dim Home Screen is def there :)
l11l1venom1l11l wrote:As far as the backgrounds I uploaded go - I don't necessarily want you to do anything with them - just thought some of them looked really good and you could use them if you'd like. Same for the icons, which I will upload today. It would be nice for a skin (especially an Xbox-focused skin) to include a consistent icon pack for emulators because they can be a pain for users to dig around the internet for. And I haven't found a collection of icons out there that are all sized the same, anti-aliased, etc. I'd like to say the same for unofficial ports/games/hacks boxart, too, but I won't have a complete package of those for quite some time.
Sounds good, I agree it would be nice to have it all in one package...we'll figure it out at some point. Gonna be awhile before a final release I'm guessing, so in the meantime once you get all of your work completed just post it somewhere in this section of the forum so that if someone wants they can grab it and use your work with the skin of their choice.
l11l1venom1l11l

Awesome, thank you again. I'll grab the SVN over the weekend and give it a shot. I was downloading the new individual xml files last night, so I most likely missed something.

Here are the icons for now. I might make a few other changes, but they're looking much better now:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B20ph5 ... sp=sharing

I will create a separate thread for them as soon as I start working on the boxart again so I can keep it all in one place. That will be next week.

Oh, and as far as that slight dimming you see that you think might be your TV - it isn't your TV. But it's a nice effect and probably shouldn't be removed.

Have a killer weekend, guys.
Oldxboxusa

Post by Oldxboxusa »

Trainer settings are not working.
byron

Post by byron »

Hey there, could you pleas be more specific? Like the settings window isn't opening etc...did you try rescanning from the context menu? If you could also post a debug log that would be nice, thanks and I'll get it sorted out right now.
byron

Post by byron »

---Deleted (double post)---
Oldxboxusa

[Skin] Rapier Clarity Mod (3.5.41)

Post by Oldxboxusa »

I will do it tomorrow no problem. Rescan I try. But it comes no window when I press the (white) button and use the entry for trainer settings.