[Skin] Rapier Clarity Mod (3.5.49)

Discussion and development of skins for XBMC4XBOX
byron

Re: [Skin] Rapier Clarity Mod (3.5.45)

Post by byron »

so...I tried r-c-m 3.5.4 and I'm not having any problems with the file that was giving me problems recently. That's alot of stuff to go through, but at least it's a place to start from. I'll eventually nail this down I'm sure, please be patient and when I have something relevant for testing I'll post back. In the mean time the most recent revision is still working well for me...not so much for others? Sorry, obviously I wasn't trying to break my own work :|
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

I'll be happy to test it out as you make changes. I'll have a peek at the log and see what features you had implemented between the versions
byron

Post by byron »

Sounds good, no changes yet...but I did manage to narrow the problem area down to between (3.5.42) - (3.5.43). That means r139-167 which is where 3.5.44 begins - I'll go through them one at a time until I find out which one is spoiling the bunch.
byron

Post by byron »

OKAY - narrowed it down to where it starts (r143 when I made the volume bar size customizable) and adding an open/close animation to DialogVolumeBar.xml seems to have taken care of the issue! Please test r199 and let me know if it's fixed :)
Reptile

Post by Reptile »

byron wrote:OKAY - narrowed it down to where it starts (r143 when I made the volume bar size customizable) and adding an open/close animation to DialogVolumeBar.xml seems to have taken care of the issue! Please test r199 and let me know if it's fixed :)
lmao. Can't wait to get home and try this out. That's pretty funny.
l11l1venom1l11l

Post by l11l1venom1l11l »

Gave it a go. Unfortunately it's still crashing seemingly randomly. Also tried it on a fresh version of the skin with the new changes implied.

Still, no crashing when "resuming" video playback on my end. I DID notice that a couple videos I tried stuttered in the beginning as if they were going to freeze. In the past, if they did this they ABSOLUTELY would freeze. So maybe another step in the right direction with the changes you've made?

I'm sorry you're running into such a weird bug. This must be boggling for you.
byron

Post by byron »

Yea it's getting annoying and I really want this to be the answer. Do you use more than one controller? I ask because when I posted my previous thread it was after I tried r199 (which immediately solved the issue btw) on one of three boxes I have. Later when I transferred the fix to a different one it didn't work. The box that didn't work has a sticky button and the one that did doesn't :? The one that worked was a wireless Logitech and the one that didn't was an Xbox dvd remote. It might sound like I'm grabbing at straws here, but for whatever reason after I synced up the Logitech to the box that was crashing it started working without a problem. I legitimately find it hard to believe that this is a coincidence (after doing the sync the same file that failed over and over now starts every time), but that could just be the crazy person I've become shining through...

Keep in mind, I deleted the entire skin and transferred a whole new copy, and I've only been trying the same file that I know works on other skins for sure but crashes this one. I also notice that I've done this so many times that I race to the smb share and click on it immediately as the startup process is taking place this usually leads to it crashing. If I wait just a second after the folder with the file opens and let the screen load it will play now with this change.
l11l1venom1l11l

It's funny you should ask that because I was thinking it was a controller issue when I first noticed the problem. The controller I was using had a wonky right analog stick, so whenever I started up a movie it would start skipping forward. Rotating the stick fixed this...just needed to be recalibrated every time the xbox started up. But...I'm not using that controller anymore. And I have tried it with only a different controller attached and experienced the problem once with only the remote attached on my every-day box.

The box I was using today only had a fully working controller and a DVD remote attached. I really don't think the issue is controller related. :(
l11l1venom1l11l

I may have made huge progress...or I may be running into the same positive fluke you've been coming across, lol.

I deleted the RCM plugin folder and the lyrics plugin folder. Launched a movie freshly successfully. Rebooted. Launched another movie freshly successfully. Launched another movie starting from scratch successfully. I must have rebooted 5 times and launched random movies starting from the beginning 100% successfully. Skin seemed a little more responsive, too.

Then, I decided to make the volume bar small again. Changed that setting and launched another movie from the beginning - CRASH!

Hard-rebooted (had to) and started that same movie (no option to resume) and it worked. Rebooted again and chose another movie...it worked.

It seems that after changing a setting in the GUI setting in the skin and then playing a movie causes it to crash, but after deleting the RCM browser and that lyric plug-in that seemed to be built into the skin, movies are working pretty much 100% of the time again (if the settings menu isn't accessed first/if a GUI setting isn't changed first).

See if deleting the RCM browser changes anything for you, because I'm thinking that was the change that you implemented that broke the movie playback in some god-knows-how way.
l11l1venom1l11l

And upon further testing, I'm even more confident. Fudged around with it for hours now and still the only way I can make a video crash the Xbox is if I change a GUI setting before launching a video, launch a video while playing music with the visualizer in the background (might just be asking too much from it, because sometimes this will work but it will take a WHILE for the Xbox to dump the music playback and regain enough resources to launch the video), and of course if I'm playing a video and I access my music library the amount of thumbnails in the menu will use up all the memory and freeze up the box. Haven't used Tods yet, though.

Edit*
Tested even more today. Just fresh reboots and launching movies - all worked 100%.
Realized that last night I ALSO deleted the HIGH RES backgrounds images as well - just the images, not the folder.

So it seems like either that or the RCM plugin that was causing some kind of interference. Really anxious to see if this helps anyone else.
byron

Post by byron »

@ venom...I'm just gonna start out with a big thanks for the help, it's very nice to have somebody help test out fixes. Before I respond to your posts I'd like to make a suggestion to you if you're willing to try, I think it may prove very beneficial in tracking down and eliminating the issue(s) that are causing this outcome of ultimate fail :)
  • make an exact copy of where you're at right now with things working and then delete it from your xbox (transfer it back when finished) or start an entirely new xbmc folder specifically for tracking this issue down with me. Either way is fine but I've started a new xbmc install with fresh transfers for each revision I'm testing
  • once you've done one of those two, next delete xbmc/userdata/guisettings.xml (if it's not a new xbmc install), resize to your display likings (in Confluence Lite) and copy that file somewhere that you can constantly replace the current one every time a "fix" is presented (hopefully not too many times before the problem is solved). Many skin settings were added between where the problem started and where the fixes are taking place...I believe part of the problem might be stemming from settings that are there that shouldn't be or vice - versa, but I'm fairly confident that guiettings.xml is part of the prob
Alright, so there's that...and then this
l11l1venom1l11l wrote:I may have made huge progress...or I may be running into the same positive fluke you've been coming across, lol.
Couldn't have said it better myself and I'm the one skinning it...but here's what I can tell you for sure:

You keep referring to RCM browser/plugin - and I assume you mean RCB (rom collection browser) - as a possible problem...maybe but doubtful because it was inserted in r141 and the first crash that I experienced when starting to track this issue down was r143 so that's unlikely the problem. This could however be causing some sort of guisetting issue which is why I was suggesting to do that up above. Also, Lyrics might need to be removed/disabled at this point because it's no longer being supported in the Frodo repo and this project (x4x) isn't grabbing things from gotham so it's pretty useless atm (but also probably not the issue because it was inserted well before the issue started happening). Same with Hi-Res r125

Bottom line is that it's getting better but still not resolved and here's why as of right now (which is the next revision that started crashing after fixing r143)

https://code.google.com/p/rapier-clarit ... tail?r=149

Almost positive as I've stated before that the problem lies somewhere in DialogFullscreenInfo.xml and this further proves it I guess...but I have no Idea what I did wrong and I also really like the changes I made here so I don't want to revert. I'll post back when I come up with something new, and thanks again for the help :)

--EDIT--
r200 is ready to try, it is also another step in the right direction
l11l1venom1l11l

I came home tonight and started messing around with it again before I saw your post. I was getting 100% successes with all movies. I decided to try to determine exactly what change made the difference. I still had the last build of the skin I was trying before r199 as I still had that skin folder, just named differently.

So...

-switched to previous version and rebooted. Launched movie and it failed as I expected.
-hard rebooted and launched another movie and it froze again.
-hard rebooted and cleared the cache, launched another movie and it failed.
-hard rebooted and began comparing files between the old version and r199.
-deleted high res backgrounds, soft-rebooted, launched movie and failed.
-hard rebooted, deleted RCB (yes, RCB, sorry about that), soft rebooted and launched movie - failed.
-hard rebooted, deleted lyrics script, soft rebooted, launched movie - failed.
-hard rebooted and noticed a couple more differences (startup script, update script) deleted them, still failed.
-hard rebooted, reverted back to r199, soft rebooted, launched movie - FAILED! (Wtf)
-hard rebooted, launched movie, failed again.
-hard rebooted, renamed guisettings.xml to guisettings.xmlbak, soft rebooted, launched movie, failed.
-then began testing rigorously in other skins - confluence, pm3hd, night, and mediastream_redux - all launched movies perfectly. Tested 3 times with soft reboots in each skin.

Now that I'm back to the r199 build that was working pretty much flawlessly all last night, this morning and tonight before changing the skin, it's failing the same way it was before last night. Movies once again sometimes launch from scratch, 90% of the time crash, and I am now experiencing crashes when resuming for the first time.

I will try your latest updates over the weekend. Hopefully we can get someone else in on the testing. This is insane.

EDIT***
after renaming userdata/database/myvideos34.db to .dbbak, all movies refreshed to a "never been played" status and now everything is launching smoothly 100% of the time again after (I counted) 10 reboots and 10 random movies played. New myvideos34.db file was generated and everything seems back to my exact settings from last night. Everything working again perfectly.

Still stumped. I'm going to make an exact copy of my current XBMC folder for you and host the file over the weekend. It'll be the exact working copy you're asking me for, and I will also try the latest updates and see what I can get from them.
byron

Post by byron »

Hmmm, interesting that a fresh movie.db made a diff :? You really don't need to go through the trouble of uploading your working copy, it's not necessary. All I was suggesting was that you just try the fixes as they come (fresh install every time) and delete guisettings.xml before you launch xbmc with the new changes. That means you'll have to start in confluence lite and switch to rcm everytime I provide a change, and I was only suggesting that you save a "stock" guisettings.xml somewhere that already has the display set from CL so all you have to do is switch to rcm instead of having to set up the display everytime I propose a fix...r200 seems to have helped and would like feedback from you whenever you have the time.
Reptile

Post by Reptile »

Sorry it's taking me a while to get around to testing r200. I'm hoping I'll have a chance this weekend.

Post by 371 »

yess
byron

Post by byron »

ok, so thanks to NOTTHESAME's keen eye another possible solution:

Code: Select all

<visible>!IntegerGreaterThan(system.memory(used.percent),85)</visible>
after looking at confluence light it seems that this is placed in background building and after placing it into the backgrounds of RCM it's time to test r201 because it also seems to help. Sorry for the long pause in working on the issue, I've been busy but now have some time to dedicate to this so please test when possible and I'll fix it up :)
Reptile

Post by Reptile »

Hey, Byron. So sorry it's been a long time since I posted last. I finally downloaded r200 the other day and have been playing with it over the past couple nights. I'm still experiencing crashing randomly - actually even more so than the slightly customized version of r199 that I was telling you about before. I have been very busy lately myself. It's finally time to be outside lol.

I will test r201 and post back with results asap.
NOTTHESAME

Post by NOTTHESAME »

with the code <visible>!IntegerGreaterThan(system.memory(used.percent),95)</visible> in the locations that are needed, i have test with movie library works fine and sometimes the videos will run smooth on start up and sometimes they wont.

from how i see it confluence lite use to crash alot, with this code it has not crashed on me at 480p once, it did still did once or twice at 720p which is really awesome :)

been testing confluence lite optimized at 720p.
byron

Post by byron »

Delete DialogFullscreenInfo.xml!!!

I've started working on a fix that will hopefully make this change seemless and undetectable, but for now this is the fix. Delete this xml from 720p and all should work fine...and with the changes I've made tracking this down it works even better actually ;)
byron

Re: [Skin] Rapier Clarity Mod (3.5.46)

Post by byron »

VERSION BUMP (3.5.46)

CHANGELOG

Download the latest zip from OP or check out r204 from trunk via SVN and test please...I think i've nipped out the video problems and can start moving forward again (any feedback regarding video playback will be much apprceiated).

actual verson path for checkout is:

https://rapier-clarity-mod.googlecode.c ... larity-mod (3.5.46)