A few optimization questions for Wraith skin.

Discussion and development of skins for XBMC4XBOX
ScopeWraith

A few optimization questions for Wraith skin.

Post by ScopeWraith »

1) Is there a way to delay the <fadetime> tag? I want to be able to scroll through WITHOUT the art loading until you come to a stop. Then a second later it would load the art. As of right now, I feel like the dash is trying to load up resources as soon as it passes a title and that COULD be sucking up some memory. It's still scrolling quickly, but I want it to be smooth smooth smooth!

2) Using multiple backgrounds? For instance... MyPrograms and Settings each having their own background causes the Settings Background to popup about 400ms behind when transitioning. To negate this I added a 500ms delay to WindowOpen animation. Is there a better way to go about this?

3) Is it better or worse to have multiple Includes files? Might sound like a dumb question in general, but I am curious if having multiple includes will put more stress on the cpu rather than the memory.
Rocky5

Re: A few optimization questions for Wraith skin.

Post by Rocky5 »

ScopeWraith wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:36 pm 1) Is there a way to delay the <fadetime> tag? I want to be able to scroll through WITHOUT the art loading until you come to a stop. Then a second later it would load the art. As of right now, I feel like the dash is trying to load up resources as soon as it passes a title and that COULD be sucking up some memory. It's still scrolling quickly, but I want it to be smooth smooth smooth!

if you want it to load an image per instance remove the background tag, also try using a visible/hidden tag with an animation and delay it. Been a while since I edited any fanart code.

2) Using multiple backgrounds? For instance... MyPrograms and Settings each having their own background causes the Settings Background to popup about 400ms behind when transitioning. To negate this I added a 500ms delay to WindowOpen animation. Is there a better way to go about this?

yeah put the background before any groups or animations, if you have an animation for window open in the xml move what you want to be animated into a group and put the animations in the group.

3) Is it better or worse to have multiple Includes files? Might sound like a dumb question in general, but I am curious if having multiple includes will put more stress on the cpu rather than the memory.

makes no difference, you need to add each new includes file to the includes.xml so they are all loaded on load. Try not to use includes unless it’s nessesary, like background image code eg...
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
ScopeWraith

Post by ScopeWraith »

Interesting.

Fanart Delay Progress:
So I did get it to work on the PC port. However, on the xbox, it removes the art while scrolling but does NOT delay or fade in.

Code: Select all

<visible>!Container(53).OnScrollPrevious + !Container(53).OnScrollNext</visible>
<animation effect="fade" time="200" delay="100" condition="!Container(53).Scrolling">Conditional</animation>
Here is how it looks/works (youtube video)
https://youtu.be/n6YL-tTa9Fo

I'll tell you this. It's pretty difficult referencing the Skinning Manual Wiki considering most of the time they don't tell you what code works and doesn't work on xbmc4xbmx. :roll:

As for the backgrounds. I have the include nested directly after the <controls> tag and right before the opening <control type="group> tag. It still takes about a 500ms to show up. It's very strange.

Thanks for the tips with the includes files!
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

Try adding reversible="true" and a start and end values.

Check here.
https://github.com/Rocky5/XBMC-Emustati ... me.xml#L32

The background must have a animation applied to it or a common value, it should be instant.
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
ScopeWraith

Post by ScopeWraith »

Still no luck.

Verified that the backgrounds were linked to an animation. In this case, a standard WindowOpenClose. Removed them and it was still delayed.

Went ahead and tried adding the reversible tag as well as start/end. Unfortunatly it didn't change anything. The animations play on xmbc4pc port, but not on the xbox. I am so confused. I also noticed that on the xbox, the "PosterArt" cycles through even while scrolling. Some bit of code isn't being read correctly on the xbox version it seems. Here's the code for that too.