[WIP] XBMC Origins UI Update Mod

Discussion and development of skins for XBMC4XBOX
PlayStation 4

[WIP] XBMC Origins UI Update Mod

Post by PlayStation 4 »

First and foremost, I must give credit to Arcanthur's showings as being the main motive behind this mod.

The intent of this mod is not to discredit, but complement Dom's excellent skin and draw it closer with resemblance to the newer UI of the Xbox One Dashboard.

Also on another note, this mod still has quite a long way before it'll be near finished.

UPDATED 10/1/2018 - //build 20

Changelog:

Code: Select all

//build 20
General
• Two new fonts have been added.  

Home Dashboard
• Improvements with the positioning of elements to replicate an near-identical layout to that of the Xbox One Dashboard 
• Added previously omitted animations.

//build 13
General
• The stage has been removed
• Improvements with memory usage
• Updated toggle button textures

Home Dashboard
• A tile texture has been improved
• Improved clock and A Button alignments; 12h and 24h clocks now align correctly
• Improved animations

Sign-in Screen
• Improvements to UI  

Guide
• Improvements to icons

Notifications
• Updates to labels and icons

Settings
• Updated tile texture for Programs 

Music, Pictures, Videos and Game Saves
• Improvements and changes to UI 
• Corrections to menu animations (Pictures only)
• Improvements to tile textures, labels and animations (Game Saves only)
Screenshots:
A new, rather shallow sign-in screen

UPDATED //build 20 A shot of some of the Home Dashboard improvements

Improvements to the Origins Guide; icons
---
UPDATED //build 20 10/1/2018

An updated tile texture that was overlooked in the previous build

New toggle buttons, the exact same as what the Xbox One OS uses.

Requirements & Installation:
  • An existing, vanilla installation of the Origins Skin is required.
  • Dom's custom keymaps.xml is required. This is to be obtained from Dom's thread, linked above this line.
  • Extract the Updated UI zip into the skin's root directory, XBMC\skin\XBMC Origins\
Credits
  • Dom DXecutioner
  • Arcanthur & Rocky5
  • Microsoft Corporation (Segoe & Xbox MLD2 Assets)
Please do contribute any feedback, criticisms and any bugs/issues.

- PlayStation 4
Last edited by PlayStation 4 on Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:41 am, edited 13 times in total.
cashonly

Re: [WIP-DRAFT] XBMC Origins Revision Mod

Post by cashonly »

looks amazing, nice work!
These pretzels are making me thirsty!
hawsey

Re: [WIP-DRAFT] XBMC Origins Revision Mod

Post by hawsey »

Looks great :-)

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

AndyBaines

Re: [WIP] XBMC Origins UI Update Mod

Post by AndyBaines »

VERY nice..! As soon as a new HDD arrives tomorrow this'll be the only dash on it..! Quick query though, I've not looked into it yet but is it possible to change/customise the Music, Pictures, Videos as I don't use my console for any of those features.

Just curious if there's info already, I'll have a poke about once I've got it installed, thanks again for updating the skin..! :D
AndyBaines

Post by AndyBaines »

I think my SATA<>IDE adapter is a lil dodgy, gonna be a while until that's replaced so having to wait to try this out, thanks again for fiddling with the skin though..! :)
PlayStation 4

Post by PlayStation 4 »

EDIT: Sorry for such a lengthy reply
With regard to your question, the short answer is yes, however there are two ways to approach this alteration:
  1. The first one, perhaps we should put it simply as the simplest and easiest, would be to simply omit the Music, Pictures and Videos tiles from the Home Dashboard. And this only requires the deletion of the entries to the "shortcuts" to these features in home.xml.
  2. The second approach continues on the idea from the first one, but also involves the complete removal of these features so that they are no longer incorporated into the core of the skin. This method will require more work than the previous one but will in the end save a lot of memory and improve the performance of the dashboard, though this is just hypothetically speaking.
Ideally, the more convenient choice would be the first one. I can try to whip up a few changes to the home.xml file, but at the moment I will not be active as I am busy with other commitments.

However, if you're okay with experimenting yourself. Open up any XML Editor/Notepad, navigate to the following entries in home.xml:

<item id="1">
                                                 <label>Music</label>
                                                 <icon>defaultmusiclibrary.png</icon>
                                                 <onclick>ActivateWindow(5)</onclick>
                                             </item>
                                          <item id="2">
                                                 <label>Pictures</label>
                                                 <icon>defaultpicture.png</icon>
                                                 <onclick>ActivateWindow(2)</onclick>
                                             </item>
                                          <item id="3">
                                                 <label>Videos</label>
                                                 <icon>defaultvideo.png</icon>
                                                 <onclick>ActivateWindow(25)</onclick>
                                             </item>
                                          <item id="4">
                                                 <label>Games</label>
                                                 <icon>defaultGames.png</icon>
                                                 <onclick condition="!Skin.HasSetting(Setting.Content.Games.Enabled)">ActivateWindow(Programs, Games)</onclick>
                                                 <onclick condition="Skin.HasSetting(Setting.Content.Games.Enabled)">RunScript(special://skin/scripts/script.content.games.py)</onclick>
                                             </item>
                                          <item id="5">>
                                                 <label>Settings</label>
                                                 <icon>icons/settings.png</icon>
                                                 <onclick>ActivateWindow(4)</onclick>
                                             </item>
                                          <item id="6">
                                                 <label>Sign Out</label>
                                                 <icon>defaultact.png</icon>
                                                 <onclick>dialog.close(all,true)</onclick>
                                                 <onclick>System.LogOff</onclick>
                                                 <visible>System.HasLoginScreen | IntegerGreaterThan(System.ProfileCount,1)</visible>
                                             </item>
And replace with:

<item id="1">
                                                 <label>Games</label>
                                                 <icon>defaultGames.png</icon>
                                                 <onclick condition="!Skin.HasSetting(Setting.Content.Games.Enabled)">ActivateWindow(Programs, Games)</onclick>
                                                 <onclick condition="Skin.HasSetting(Setting.Content.Games.Enabled)">RunScript(special://skin/scripts/script.content.games.py)</onclick>
                                             </item>
                                          <item id="2">>
                                                 <label>Settings</label>
                                                 <icon>icons/settings.png</icon>
                                                 <onclick>ActivateWindow(4)</onclick>
                                             </item>
                                          <item id="3">
                                                 <label>Sign Out</label>
                                                 <icon>defaultact.png</icon>
                                                 <onclick>dialog.close(all,true)</onclick>
                                                 <onclick>System.LogOff</onclick>
                                                 <visible>System.HasLoginScreen | IntegerGreaterThan(System.ProfileCount,1)</visible>
                                             </item>
This in short will simply remove the entries for the tiles, however if we wanted to go further, I could instead reinstate the original functionality of configuring those tiles to your own games installed to your HDD. However as I said I'm busy with my studies, but I hope this is adequate to your request in the short-term.
Last edited by PlayStation 4 on Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
AndyBaines

Post by AndyBaines »

Wow, such a great & detailed response..! As soon as my HDD adapter arrives I'll be happy messing around and experimenting, although not educated or experienced with this type of thing directly half the fun will be learning..! I'll have a crack when it gets here from the US in just under 2 weeks, for now I hope your studies are going well, good lucks..! :D
DaMez

Post by DaMez »

this looks awesome just pulled out my xbox gonna try it out . never used xbmc only used unleash x its gonna be fun up setting this up :) thank you for your work.
DaMez

Post by DaMez »

just a quick question can i change picture to coinops? if so how? thank you in advance
PlayStation 4

Post by PlayStation 4 »

DaMez wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:59 am just a quick question can i change picture to coinops? if so how? thank you in advance
Not sure what picture you're referring to. If you're talking about changing the Home Dashboard background, there is a feature which allows you to do so via the options side bar which can be accessed through pressing up on the D-Pad.
donkey33

Post by donkey33 »

Thanks for this as was just after something for games only.

I'm having an issue with the shortcuts for favourites though. When I click configure, the select shortcut menu pops up but all of the options (addons, scripts, applications, emulators, games) are empty and I can't select any games so show there. My games are located on F: if that means anything.

How do I get the shortcuts working?

Thanks
donkey33

Post by donkey33 »

Figured it out as missed the step where games had to be on F:/Games

I'm not sure how to make it work though as when games are inside F:/Games, they show up so I can add them to the main screen now but when I click games, I then have to go into the games folder now to find the games. When on just F:/, they would show once clicking games.

How do I set games to show F:/Games contents or the skin shortcuts to be pulled from just F:/?
DaMez

Post by DaMez »

hi im trying to add coinops to favorite but when i go to emulators its empty my coinops is located in G:/Emulators . can someone please help..
DopeHouse

Post by DopeHouse »

DaMez wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:06 am hi im trying to add coinops to favorite but when i go to emulators its empty my coinops is located in G:/Emulators . can someone please help..
Let me know if you ever figure this out. I tried putting them in E:/Emu or G:/Emu still nothing shows up when trying to add them to Favorite or Shortcut.
AndyBaines

Post by AndyBaines »

There's a file/script regarding populating that list, I had the same issue as my games are on G so shortcuts weren't being generated for them. I'll try and find it over the weekend if I get chance, pretty sure it's a script in the origins skin\scripts folder, open it in notepad and search for emu or emulators, hopefully you'll spot the references that are the wrong path and be able to amend them.

Good luck..! :)
xbmc4you

Post by xbmc4you »

The idea is very nice, however it doesn't work for me.
I followed the instructions at the original "origins" thread and then the instructions overe here.
It looks nice, until you enter game browser and then it looks like this:

And the options sideblade doesn't have any text.

Wtf?

What am I doing wrong?
ghamson

Post by ghamson »

Just want to say thank you for this UI update for the Origins skin. I love it!

As part of my Original Xbox setup, I created a bunch if icons for categories as well as Xbox game covers for homebrew and emulators. Figured I would share them here in case someone was interested.

Here is a link to download them:

https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ak-66cDvpyBThsoH0RSJXtEWH1A6_A

And here are some examples - Game Covers:
Homebrew - Miss Driller.jpg
Mame NeoGeo.jpg
Categories:

Xbox Exclusives:
OGXbox_Exclusives_256x256.png
OGXbox_Exclusives_256x256.png (92.95 KiB) Viewed 48404 times
Adventure / RPG:
OGXbox_RPG_256x256.png
OGXbox_RPG_256x256.png (163.21 KiB) Viewed 48404 times
Thanks again to the whole community... without your posts to read, I would never have got my Original Xbox modded and setup.
Andersonm86

Post by Andersonm86 »

Thanks for the awesome upload(share) ghamson!! :D
Erick

Post by Erick »

Hello! How do I do to enter on XBMCGuide ? Image
xbmc4you

Post by xbmc4you »

xbmc4you wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:05 amThe idea is very nice, however it doesn't work for me.
I followed the instructions at the original "origins" thread and then the instructions overe here.
It looks nice, until you enter game browser and then it looks like this:
https://i.imgur.com/vNUV2xK.jpg
And the options sideblade doesn't have any text.
Wtf?
What am I doing wrong?
B A M P ! :D Herp prz!