Estuary - Kodi's new skin

Discussion and development of skins for XBMC4XBOX
NOTTHESAME

Re: Estuary - Kodi's new skin

Post by NOTTHESAME »

hey byron
any luck on this skin, i wish i had more time to try to help and to learn more from this skin, i dont know enough to know how this skin works, i did get that other skin re touch to work but this skin has alot of different codes.
MasterChief2

Post by MasterChief2 »

After almost a six years we are closer to getting Estuary on our Xbox! I have ported a lot of crucial things from Kodi to make porting possible. I'm current porting PARAMS in includes and that's not easy at all. But if I succeed porting Estuary will be just like porting Confluence back in the day. Here are three images:

SettingsSystemInfo.xml

Settings.xml

DialogButtonMenu.xml
GoTeamScotch

Post by GoTeamScotch »

That looks amazing! Great work. I look forward to using it as my main skin soon. :)
I feel like with this, and a few other tweaks, this could be enough for a new xbmc version. I would love to see python 3 someday.

Anything you need help with? Or need a tester?
Remember kids, always zero-ize your HDD key!
MasterChief2

Post by MasterChief2 »

Currently I have hard coded values inside includes to get these three window working because we don't have option to pass values from one XML file to another (include.xml). Without that it's going to be pain in the ass to make Estuary working. But if I manage to port that, that will be almost 70% of all work that needs to be done to make it working. I'm currently dealing with that and it's not going easy as other backports were. So this could take a plenty of time to get it working. Probably someone with more knowledge on C++ and how includes are working will do that pretty easily (looking on BuZz :D )

I have compared GUIIncludes.cpp and GUIIncludes.h between XBMC4Xbox and XBMC. It seems that we are up to date with XBMC Dharma but in XBMC Eden these two files are completely rewriten. SkinInfo class is moved to addons/Skin.h and addons/Skin.cpp and some functions are removed/refactored and those functions are used in many place accross XBMC4Xbox code. So I will need to find commit that has done that big refactoring or to figure out how to rewrite everything. But until I update Includes to the version of XBMC Eden I can't proceed any further. And still, there is another big problem when I later actually start porting those params, we don't have std::move inside C++98. I will need to consult with BuZz, XboxDev members or Insignia members to help me out with that.
Geeba

Post by Geeba »

Wowsers! looks good!
MasterChief2

Post by MasterChief2 »

GoTeamScotch wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:44 am That looks amazing! Great work. I look forward to using it as my main skin soon. :)
I feel like with this, and a few other tweaks, this could be enough for a new xbmc version. I would love to see python 3 someday.

Anything you need help with? Or need a tester?
There is planned 3.7 release, I'm waiting on buzz to review weather fix. This Skin will come in version 3.8 maybe we will see. Those params in includes are pain in the ass and I dont know will I manage to port them.

Python 3 will "never" happen. I spoke with BuZz about that and he said that making Python 3 to compile on Xbox is a lot of work and not even to mention refactoring of XBMC classes that depends on Python 2. I think the biggest thing we could get is porting current XBMC code base to nxdk. But who knows will nxdk ever have all thing that xbmc requires. Also I'm following XBMC-360 project by brend, we will se what he will implement. He said that when he have completed port of XBMC4Xbox he will look on refactoring code to be more similar to Kodi's.
MasterChief2

Post by MasterChief2 »

I have manage to backport PARAMS in includes! But someone with more knowledge will need to to review because I was doing some hackery becaus C++98 doesn't have std::move, std::function and std::ret. But one thing at time. I will first add some baisc patches for @BuZz to review them and after he merge them I will continue adding more complex patches just like PARAMS in includes are. Here is some video with latest Estuary sking from Kodi Matrix (at the end of video):
byron

Post by byron »

Holy smokes, been a minute gang - hope you're all doing well! I check in from time to time, this one got my attention. I breezed through the posts, my interest has officially been rekindled. I've got like 4 of these dinosaurs laying around my place, I'll see if I can remember how to turn one on and try to find the one that had this work on it. Just need a little time.

@MasterChief2 - Nice work, maybe we can knock heads and come up with something together? There are few things that would make me happier than to get this skin running on this platform. Once you get the bug...
Geeba

Post by Geeba »

byron wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:41 am Holy smokes, been a minute gang - hope you're all doing well! I check in from time to time, this one got my attention. I breezed through the posts, my interest has officially been rekindled. I've got like 4 of these dinosaurs laying around my place, I'll see if I can remember how to turn one on and try to find the one that had this work on it. Just need a little time.

@MasterChief2 - Nice work, maybe we can knock heads and come up with something together? There are few things that would make me happier than to get this skin running on this platform. Once you get the bug...
Been in exactly the same position Byron LOL! - no time... but a few things have caught my attention lately, BIOS CPU/GPU overclocking looks good... true digital HDMI output and Project Stellar... that looks really interesting.. apparently a complete BIOS rewrite with native TRIM support, CPU addressable memory and a dual core ARM CPU onboard, Xbox One controller support and 256Mb RAM support... still amazes me how much has been squeezed out of the old brick!
MasterChief2

Post by MasterChief2 »

byron wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:41 am Holy smokes, been a minute gang - hope you're all doing well! I check in from time to time, this one got my attention. I breezed through the posts, my interest has officially been rekindled. I've got like 4 of these dinosaurs laying around my place, I'll see if I can remember how to turn one on and try to find the one that had this work on it. Just need a little time.

Well you could try porting some modern skin, for example Arctic Horizon 2 :D But you will first need to wait on me and BuZz to add those patches to trunk. I have ported a lot of crucial things that Estuary and newer skins depends on but there are many a little ones which I also want to port. But biggest differences like params in includes, using top,left,centertop,centerleft etc., using % for width/height and texturediffuse are ported. I also have same idea how could I implement Dynamic Content which will allow skinner to instead defining static items of grouplist call some plugin which will accept ID of control and populate it with content fetched from local database or some online API (like TMDB/TRAKT/IGDB). Something similar to Kodi Widgets but just more hardcoded. We don't have Layer that's handling Addons so I can't port 100/100 of Kodi's Dynamic Content.

I'm wondering what Dom D Executioner could do with all this new patches :D Maybe create 100% replica of Xbox Series S/X UI :D
byron

Post by byron »

Let me grab the latest build and see if I can get it up and running - it's only been 6 years ;)

I literally have 100 other things I should be doing, but this seems like a good way to avoid all of them...
MasterChief2

Post by MasterChief2 »

There are no official patches yet, but once BuZz merge them I will inform you. It would be pretty awesome to have Arctic Horizon 2 on Xbox. But we will see what will be possible with 64MB of RAM.
byron

Post by byron »

Got my environment set up, can't get it to compile yet...working on it. I can't quite remember exactly how to do it, compiled 4/7 (3 errors on the build) - I want to get this built, then I'll set up my xbox
byron

Post by byron »

Time to dust off the box - it's kinda like putting on an old comfy tee

x4x.build.JPG
MasterChief2

Post by MasterChief2 »

I have learned that SetFocus and in some cases <onleft>/<onright> won't work if you have grouplist, panel or fixedlist with items which have their own IDs. The problem is coming because XBMC is taking SetFocus from it's control insted of group control. I'm trying to fix that and after that I will send you builded XBMC so you can work on other parts of Skin while I will take a look on Dynamic Content and Widgets.
MasterChief2

Post by MasterChief2 »

New video is out! :)
MasterChief2

Post by MasterChief2 »

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

Some more progress regarding visible changes. I know underhood updates are not so funny :)
MasterChief2

Post by MasterChief2 »

New video is out! Enjoy!