[RELEASED] XBMC Origins v1.0.0

Discussion and development of skins for XBMC4XBOX
Dom DXecutioner

[RELEASED] XBMC Origins v1.0.0

Post by Dom DXecutioner »

Original Xbox: XBMC Origins

Welcome to the new dashboard skin of your Xbox Media Center (XMBC)...

XBMC is an award-winning free and open source (GPL) software media player and entertainment hub. It allows users to play and view most videos, music, podcasts, and other digital media files from local and network storage media and the internet.

XBMC was originally produced as a media center application named "Xbox Media Center" (abbreviated as XBMC) for the original Xbox game console, and was the successor to Xbox Media Player (XBMP).

Xbox Media Center was ported to other platforms and architectures, becoming XBMC or XBMC Media Center, and now KODI thus loosing the Xbox connection.

This interface is to commemorate both the origins of the XBMC software and the accomplishments of Microsoft's well built original Xbox hardware ( which is still going 14 years later ) and the Xbox 360 and Xbox One dashboard.

A while ago ( months ) I had been working on this skin and had something tangible to release; however, I misplaced the drive and lost all of that work. Fortunately I had an old copy in the xbox sitting in my living room, but it was outdated and didn't feel like releasing that.

Of course at this point, as you can imagine, I completely lost interest in rebuilding the skin to what it was. Since then, little by little, I have worked on trying to rebuild it with new features . Although it's not as the previous one was, it is now to the point where it can be used with little issues.

Stay tune for more... enjoy the long play preview.

UPDATE: Sunday, November 29th, 2015 - 09:00 PM

A quick couple of things..
  • 1) to use the guide, you will have to replace the gamepad.xml & remote.xml files located in the System->Keymaps folder with the ones in the link below; you may want to consider backing up the original files, you know, just in case.
  • 2) to setup emulator shortcuts, you must add an "addon.xml" to the root of each emulator with its pertinent information; you can grab an addon xml file from any addon and edit it... it would be nice if emu devs would include this file with their emus ( wishful thinking )
  • 3) all emulators must reside in the "E:/Emulators" folder
  • 4) all games must reside in the "F:/Games" folder
  • 5) to use custom artwork in the views and in the home screen, you should add folder labeled _resources, inside that another folder should be created labeled artwork, inside of that folder you will need the following images cd.png, poster.jpg, thumb.jpg, icon.jpg...
This had more features before i misplaced my files, and now i'm just too lazy ( surprisingly enough, busy as well ) to revisit

Emulators & Shortcuts

Emulators must have an addon.xml in the root of the emulator's directory if you wish to be able to set a shortcut ( also for future use )... see the example below for Snes9Xbox ( Super Nintendo ) emulator:

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<addon id="emulator.console.snes.snes9xbox" name="Snes9XBox" version="v6b06" provider-name="unknown">
	<requires>
		<import addon="xbmc.python" version="2.0"/>
	</requires>
	<extension point="xbox.core.os" library="default.xbe">
		<provides>emulator</provides>
	</extension>
	<extension point="xbmc.addon.metadata">
		<summary>Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES)</summary>
		<description>Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES)</description>
		<platform>xbox</platform>
		<language>en</language>
		<license>GNU General Public License v2</license>
	</extension>
</addon>
To understand more about this file, you can read about out it at Kodi's Wiki, however, for the purposes of moving along quickly, the important part is in the addon element's 4 attributes, which is where we get our info; some samples:
  • <addon id="emulator.console.nes.mednafenx" name="Nintendo Entertainment System ( MednaFenX )" version="v15b10" provider-name="unknown">
  • <addon id="emulator.console.snes.snes9xbox" name="Super Nintendo ( Snes9XBox )" version="v6b06" provider-name="unknown">
  • <addon id="emulator.console.genesis.neogenesis" name="SEGA Genesis ( NeoGenesis )" version="v25b13" provider-name="unknown">
  • <addon id="emulator.console.playstation.pcsxbox" name="PlayStation ( PcsXbox )" version="v22b24" provider-name="MadMab">
  • <addon id="emulator.arcade.kawa-x" name="Kawa-X Arcade" version="0.11" provider-name="unknown">
  • <addon id="emulator.handheld.nds.desmumex" name="Nintendo DS (DesmuMeX)" version="0.86" provider-name="hcf">
Also, don't forget the [Artwork] Emulator Icons: Origins Style for that xtra bonus :)

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Games Artwork

As previously mentioned, if you wish to make your games section stand out, you will have to setup the _resources->artwork folder with the appropriate files. Below is an example of how I have my artwork setup, which is in no way mandatory, but just a recommended example.

DOWNLOAD

The Skin Link: Xbmc Origins
The Keymap Link: Keymaps ( if you want to use the guide )

Dom DXecutioner
cashonly

Re: [Coming Soon] XBMC Origins

Post by cashonly »

WOW :o
this look incredible! cant wait!
These pretzels are making me thirsty!
byron

Post by byron »

Very nicely done :)
Chris2013

Post by Chris2013 »

Great to see this skin is finally being released, I've been following it for quite a while. Great work!
Geeba

Post by Geeba »

Looks really good Dom! :D
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Looks great - nice job :)
StrikersPL

Post by StrikersPL »

Looks awesome, I've been waiting patiently all day :D
Hyster

Post by Hyster »

Rain or shine, ready or not, this will be released on, November 27th ( Dom DXecutioner )
Dom DXecutioner

Hyster wrote:Rain or shine, ready or not, this will be released on, November 27th ( Dom DXecutioner )
Here in the U.S. is still Friday, November 27th 9:22 PM and I just walked in to my home; since you're funny about it, now you'll have to wait 'til Sunday as I'm a bit tired.

Thank you!
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Looking good :-)
Hyster

Post by Hyster »

waiting :mrgreen: Thank you, Dom
Dom DXecutioner

links can be found in the first post... more info to come later; apologies, but i've been busy
Geeba

Re: [RELEASED] XBMC Origins

Post by Geeba »

downloading now! - the ammount you've squeezed out of the xbox is fantastic!

Great work and thank you! :D
sketch2k278

Post by sketch2k278 »

Beyond EPIC!! Been waiting on this for awhile (and it was worth it) Thanks!!
Arcanthur

Post by Arcanthur »

Great skin Dom! Question about folder structure for games/emulators. What naming convention should I be using to be able to display everything? I remember seeing this before but I can't seem to find it now.

Thanks again,
-Arc
Dom DXecutioner

Thank you!

The structure has not changed from the XBMC Extended, which should be in this forum, I will write something in the first post when I get home.
StrikersPL

Post by StrikersPL »

Great job as always Dom, but I have a question on where to put the files in the keymaps folder? I can't seem to get the guide working and I also noticed some of the icons don't give me the option to configure them but besides that its great so far!
Dom DXecutioner

check the first post, i've added more details...
sketch2k278

Post by sketch2k278 »

Is anyone else having trouble getting their xbox gamertag to show up? I did do a debug log and looked through and I do see my avatar when loading in the browser of my PC but just not understanding why it always fail when trying to load it up on xbmc
Last edited by sketch2k278 on Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dom DXecutioner

[RELEASED] XBMC Origins

Is your xbmc profile the same as the xbox live gamertag? Also, the script will fail if you are using the latest build; there's an issue with Python SSL ( I think that's what it is ).

Anyway, you might want to replace the Python folder with the last stable one... Please don't ask me how, this should be fairly simple.