Classic Skin Issue From XBMC v3.3 Onwards

Discussion and development of skins for XBMC4XBOX
Coldly-Indifferent

Classic Skin Issue From XBMC v3.3 Onwards

Post by Coldly-Indifferent »

I've used an older version of XBMC (2009) for many years as an Xbox app UnleashX main dash but recently I've been gearing up to install one of my Xboxes with XBMC as the main dash. For that reason I've been trying out more recent builds and came across a problem.

I like the (Blackbolt) Classic-Skin so that's what I was using and I've found something odd. From XBMC v3.3 onwards there is a display issue that doesn't occur with versions that pre-date this eg. OK with v3.1 :-

In Settings > item individual sub-menus the top right side text header ie. Programs, Music, Video, Appearance etc are all shifted to the right, half off screen. All the rest of the sub-menus' graphics/menu positioning are unaffected and the top left side Settings header is in its correct place too.

The obvious thing you'd think is to just to re-calibrate the screen position settings but no that doesn't work. Whether using 4:3, 16:9 at any resolution, PAL/NTSC these text items actually extend to the right and with longer headers (like Appearance), well beyond the background.

It looks as though some part of the code for the text position of these and some other items has mistakenly been changed to align it to left rather than right. Ironically I also found it applies to the screen position calibration text which rather than centrally positioned along the bottom, as with pre-v3.3 XBMCs, with the text shifted right it partially disappears off the side of the screen.

Being a simple soul :) what I don't understand is how a new XBMC version can affect what you'd think would be a fixed part of a skin template. But when you know the problem doesn't affect earlier versions of XBMC, used with exactly the same skin/settings, it must be something in the newer versions of XBMC that was changed.

I don't even know where to to look let alone identify the .xml document and item(s) that may need editing or indeed whether it is actually possible to fix the issue that way.

I found a few earlier threads mentioning display problems when using v3.5 and the Classic skin but nothing like this so any help/advice appreciated.
NOTTHESAME

Re: Classic Skin Issue From XBMC v3.3 Onwards

Post by NOTTHESAME »

Munch

Post by Munch »

please check me last post there, download isn't working for me
NOTTHESAME

Post by NOTTHESAME »

NOTTHESAME

Post by NOTTHESAME »

Try this skin i last updated this year, it should have 3.5 fixes
Munch

Post by Munch »

allready tried it didn't work on 3.5 :(
Coldly-Indifferent

Thanks for the help. I've downloaded the revised skin version linked to and I'll try it myself tomorrow and report.
NOTTHESAME

Post by NOTTHESAME »

Munch wrote:allready tried it didn't work on 3.5 :(
Can you upload images where it does not work, or it is not loading in the skin selection?
I'm running it on 3.5 please be sure to check its in double folder, also you ftp with filezilla
Munch

Post by Munch »

NOTTHESAME wrote:
Munch wrote:allready tried it didn't work on 3.5 :(
Can you upload images where it does not work, or it is not loading in the skin selection?
I'm running it on 3.5 please be sure to check its in double folder, also you ftp with filezilla
it works now on 3.5 ... it had double folders and i removed it!
Coldly-Indifferent

I made the same mistake when I copied it over and unzipped it on the Xbox forgetting to check if the skin was in a sub-folder but once in place I'm very pleased to confirm it does fix the text positioning problem I previously described. Really pleased, excellent work and thanks for the quick solution.

However, one thing it did not fix, is the other text positioning issue I mentioned:-

Settings > Appearance > Display > Calibration > Calibration Screen Dialogue Box Text

That is still shifted to the right; with all other XBMC versions it aligns to a central position. In its current alignment it is OK ie. all visible for left side repositioning but for the right hand side of the screen some of the text and the positioning co-ordinate info disappears off screen right.

Any chance of a fix for this? I'd also be interested to know exactly what was changed and in which of the skin's numerous XMLs this was done to fix the original text positioning problem and where/what needs altering to fix this secondary problem.

Thanks again for help.
NOTTHESAME

Post by NOTTHESAME »

I'll take a look at this, and I'll explain how to fix as well give me some time please and thanks for letting know about other skin issues
Coldly-Indifferent

Take all the time you need I'm just grateful there is someone around who may be able to resolve what I hope are some relatively minor, niche XBMC skin issues.
NOTTHESAME

Post by NOTTHESAME »

http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewt ... =15&t=3039

go here to download the updated version with the screen calibration text correction.

I know you may be thinking why didn't he just upload the simple file, well the reason is everyone else will want this skin so they might not know where to put this file, just download the skin and replace with your old skin.

I had to fix the posy and posx inside the screencalibration.xml it will be in the PAL folder of the skin, some skins have it in 720p some have it in PAL you need to remember this, so you need to go and fix the posy and posx, you need to find thoses that are <label>, The box was okay(image), but the text was <label> this is where text is, <image> is for images or sometimes <multiimages> which you can see it is for multi images, its all basic once you get a hold of it, im sorry I cant explain it all but youll see what I mean if you mess with the skin .xml files just becareful and make a backup of your file so you don't mess it up :) and go back to replace it as normal again :)

let me know if anything is not correct for 3.5 xbmc4xbox and enjoy :)
Coldly-Indifferent

Thanks very much for this.

I've downloaded the XML fix files and I'll post when I've tried them out.

Thanks also for the requested info about the fix too.
NOTTHESAME

Post by NOTTHESAME »

If you download the full skin I already had removed this info about dialog
Coldly-Indifferent

Sorry I misunderstood your previous post and just went to the last download posted (the XMLs) in the linked thread rather than the updated Classic-Xbox skin download further up the page. Thanks for pointing that out.

Just downloaded the file and I'll report back when I've installed it.

Edit:-

I've now Installed the re-updated Xbox-Classic skin on a couple of my Xboxes and I can confirm it fixes those text positioning issues perfectly.

Big thanks again to NOTHESAME.
NOTTHESAME

Post by NOTTHESAME »

cool, and thanks again for your reports.

if you find anything else just report here to give some updates
Coldly-Indifferent

I've been meaning to post again in this thread about the fix for the previous problems described. I've noticed something interesting since then.

I run XBMC4Xbox on several Xboxes as an app which is why I didn't realise that the skin fix must have also included some other 'tweaks'. I don't know what was done and how it works but the updated Xbox Classic skin which fixed those other minor issues seems to have accelerated the speed of the GUI. It positively zips around the menus in comparison to earlier and identical versions of XBMC4Xbox using the Classic skin I have on those other machines but which I'd forgotten to update.

So however it was done belated additional thanks to NOTTHESAME.