Conq Skin

Discussion and development of skins for XBMC4XBOX
tim619

Conq Skin

Post by tim619 »

Hi,

when I saw Conq skin on xbmc.org forum I thought it could be possible on 64mb xbox so I downloaded it and repacked the Textures.xpr (http://www50.zippyshare.com/v/71605436/file.html)

but when I try to load the skin it looks like

But it should look like this:

So my question is: What should I do to port an xbmc skin to xbmc4xbox, I only did the textures... (I didnt find any tutorial on this)
byron

Re: Conq Skin

Post by byron »

It's not an exact roadmap, but it should give you some sort of idea...

http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewt ... 690#p21345

As for the textures...what did you do exactly, and what did you use to compress them?
tim619

Post by tim619 »

hi byron,

thanks for the link.
I extracted the Textures.xbt using notepad++ plugin the files from the extraction are in the media folder. than i used a clean folder with these files and generated Textures.xpr from the files using latest xpr express i didnt changed any settings since its not possible in latest version...
byron

Post by byron »

No worries, I'd be happy to help more if I can. Here's what I would suggest since my experience with n++ has been buggy with anything other than text editing. Do an SVN checkout of the skin textures from the actual source ( http://skin-conq.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/media ) so that you have the raw media files and at that point no extraction necessary...navigate to the media folder location via xpr express, compress, and see if that doesn't work. I'm guessing it will, but could be wrong. Also, it's good practice imo to contact the original skinner and run it by them that you want to port/alter their work and get their blessing (I'm sure hitcher won't mind) ;)
tim619

Post by tim619 »

Now I've tested some more and found out that the xpr file was in tact. Also the other files were correct and latest.
But the skin only loads when I create a folder called '720p' with content of folder '16x9' otherwise it says that it needs at least version 2.10 but I put in 2.11. I also found out that transparency doesnt work in png and because of this all icons are just black. When I remove or rename the media folder to not load the texture contents the skins loads like on the fotos except that the logo 'Conq' is not showing :roll:

and btw there is a license file inside which allows portation when staying at same license and name original authors ;)
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

Just to add to Byron's suggestion, if you get the original sources / media, you can create the XPR using the same tools that XBMC4Xbox does for the skins it comes with.

See these links:
http://redmine.exotica.org.uk/projects/ ... /build.bat
http://redmine.exotica.org.uk/projects/ ... BMCTex.exe

Code: Select all

ECHO Creating XPR File...
START /B /WAIT ..\..\Tools\XBMCTex\XBMCTex -input media -output media -noprotect
tim619

Post by tim619 »

thank you Dan, but I'm sure the xpr file is 100% valid.
It could be that I have some files missing or at some places the Textures.xpr has its old file name Textures.xbt

I have now tested the svn build (without texture file!) on windows xbmc and it works out of the box so the problem has nothing to do with textures
Dom DXecutioner

Post by Dom DXecutioner »

Things to consider:

For the positioning of controls, mainline xbmc uses the following (which we don't support):

<left>64</left>
<top>64</top>
Whereas xbmc4xbox uses the following:

<posx>64</posx>
<posy>64</posy>
Which means that this will have to be changed; simple find and replace should do the trick.

For images, check for the property "background=true" and that will have to be set to false in some images.
byron

Post by byron »

@ Dom...from here right? http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=De ... l_controls

Interesting, so I'm assuming that:

<right>20</right>
would have to be written as:

<posx>20</posx>
<align>right</align>
That's not making things any easier to backport...

@tim619...I can't get anything but the default images to show, I'm not exactly sure what's going on with that to be honest (maybe what Dom is saying is the cause).
tim619

Post by tim619 »

@Dom
thank you very much for the useful answer I'll give it a try :P
@byron thanks for the wiki link
I think I'll get this working :mrgreen:
Dom DXecutioner

Well... As it turns out, I checked on this myself and noticed that this has been built for 1080p and the controls don't all display as they are out of the 720p range... Bummer!
cbagy

Post by cbagy »

If you are to get this working, then I presume you will edit the xml's regarding the positioning elements.
May I suggest, though it should be obvious, you divide the co-ordinates by 1.5 whilst your in there editing the xml's.
This at least gives you a workable 720p skin, based on the original layout.

I'm sure there is probably more to it than that though.
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

Guys, might I suggest, when you find useful features in mainline XBMC that are missing from XBMC4Xbox, once validated, search existing tickets and create one if necessary. Sometimes the amount of work to make them available in our project far outweighs the effort in workarounds and changes for you "skinner" guys. If it gets shot down as a feature request for being too much work, at least you tried that route.

http://redmine.exotica.org.uk/projects/xbmc4xbox/
Dom DXecutioner

Conq Skin

@cbagy,

If you're referring to me, i have no interest in porting this skin; there is a tool in mainline that someone developed for downscaling 1080p to 720p, amongst other functions... when i get home, i'll find the link; don't feel like searching on phone.

@dan

there's a thought...
tim619

Post by tim619 »

I know that i would have to divide the values and resize textures, when I have time I'll write a short python script which ports the skin (or skins in general)
tim619

Post by tim619 »

I have now ported the skin basics using the script I wrote.
Some things have to be added like automatic font resize (I wasnt sure if divide by 1.5 gives right sizes aswell), and some thins should be removed from pc version.
When I reboot the xbox with ported skin enabled only a black screen appears does somebody know what the reason is for this?
Also some graphics do not display maybe there I should edit what Dom said with True/False.
And as I mentioned no texture files are needed an also it seems that resize isnt needed...

here are some screenshots:

Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

Dom DXecutioner wrote:Things to consider:

For the positioning of controls, mainline xbmc uses the following (which we don't support):

<left>64</left>
<top>64</top>
Just noticed this change in latest 3.5 beta build, don't know whether specific to dialogs or might add anything else for you, worth a ticket if not fully supporting what you guys need.

#32876 | 08/21/2014 02:45 PM | buzz   | merged: xbmc mainline d637ae93 - support positioning dialogs via <left> and <top>  
tim619

Post by tim619 »

Dan Dar3 wrote:
Dom DXecutioner wrote:Things to consider:

<left>64</left>
<top>64</top>
Just noticed this change in latest 3.5 beta build, don't know whether specific to dialogs or might add anything else for you, worth a ticket if not fully supporting what you guys need.

#32876 | 08/21/2014 02:45 PM | buzz   | merged: xbmc mainline d637ae93 - support positioning dialogs via <left> and <top>  
Yes already saw this but Buzz hasnt implemented autoresizing so the tool will be still required (Maybe I'll continue work on this soon)