[Skin Concept] Hi-Tech Concept

Discussion and development of skins for XBMC4XBOX
Dom DXecutioner

[Skin Concept] Hi-Tech Concept

Post by Dom DXecutioner »

I was browsing the net over the weekend and stumbled upon an awesome Rain Meter skin created by 99villages over at Deviant Art; link: http://99villages.deviantart.com/art/Ne ... -442236472

I think is an amazing skin; I've contemplated a hi-tech type of interface for xbmc before, alas I don't have the graphics skill to pull it off... So, I worked on a concept using the images in that skin; once I got something working, I had to create a few more basic - and i mean basic - images for other things and next thing I know, the results can be seeing in the video below:

Note: Credit for the design and images goes out to99villages. the creator of the rain meter skin; I did email him to ask permission to use his design, he is ok with it.

What do you think? Keep in mind there's only about 6 windows, somewhat done, and this may never become a reality. The sounds can, to some, be a bit repetitive; unfortunately the window activate and deactive sounds are not conditional.

If only someone - [cough] BuZz - would add a built-in PlaySound(foo) function (http://redmine.exotica.org.uk/projects/ ... ISound.cpp), that would be great; or if the windows sounds fx could be conditional, that would work too... not sure why this is not in main xbmc; you can, after all, play sound effects from within a python script.
Attachments
Login Screen
Login Screen
Home Screen
Home Screen
Music Library
Music Library
Rain Meter: Neon Blue Skin (Author: 99villages)
Rain Meter: Neon Blue Skin (Author: 99villages)
infinity8x3

Re: [Skin Concept] Hi-Tech Concept

Post by infinity8x3 »

I think this Skin is really cool. The personality of it reminds me of the robot butler form fallout 3. :D

Maybe a female synthesized voice option? And less redundancies. I know this is a concept but it looks like a really fun skin I hope it matures.

Good work.
Got a pit bull?
http://mypitbullpro.com
Nextelhalo

Post by Nextelhalo »

Absolutely brilliant sir, TOP NOTCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Halo LE Blue (Japan Black jewel) v1.0 1.0GHZ Trusty 128 RAM 640GB Blue-White P/E LED's
White v1.4 X3 CE with X3 CP 500GB Blue-white P/E LED's Blue Jewel
Debug kit untouched
sealeysonic

Post by sealeysonic »

That would be epic...love the voice....but would be better if the "sir" was dropped and the spending time wisely was dropped.....looks awesome tho.

:shock:
Dom DXecutioner

Thanks gentlemen... keep in mind this was purely conceptual; fact is, i doubt this will be an actual skin.
xam

Post by xam »

If this skin became a real skin i'm counting the days until you release it!!! ;) ;)
xboxprince

Post by xboxprince »

What about an iron man skin with Jarvis voice?
project media center "part one" (working progress): 6tb trusty 1.4ghz + 128mb v1.4 Xbox water cooled pc case with xenium ice, LCD, HDMI out and optical out.
cashonly

Post by cashonly »

nice skin.. hope it will succed past the concept.
These pretzels are making me thirsty!
Dom DXecutioner

xam wrote:If this skin became a real skin i'm counting the days until you release it!!! ;) ;)
Apologies, however, this was purely conceptual and haven't done anything since, and doubt I will.
xboxprince wrote:What about an iron man skin with Jarvis voice?
Not enough interface samples to duplicate such a GUI. The JARVIS voice is not easy to duplicate; the voice in this concept is a close as I can get.
cashonly wrote:nice skin.. hope it will succed past the concept.
Unlikely, sorry!
xboxprince

Post by xboxprince »

We all can drea :(
project media center "part one" (working progress): 6tb trusty 1.4ghz + 128mb v1.4 Xbox water cooled pc case with xenium ice, LCD, HDMI out and optical out.
nodots

Post by nodots »

Would you consider collaboration to finish the skin? Not that I've done a skin yet, but you have to start somewhere...

EDIT: I joined the forum just to try to download some of your skins, but I can't find them (this one, and "XBMC Origins").
Dom DXecutioner

nodots wrote:Would you consider collaboration to finish the skin?
Apologies but regrettably at this time I have no interest in pursuing this skin... this was just a concept; to be honest, i don't think there was ever a download link for this as it was only 4 windows that were coded...

In either case, thank you for the offer
nodots

Post by nodots »

Well, not for this one... but what about the "XBMC Origins" skin? That one actually looks like I could pour some time into it!

EDIT: I have a 1080p tv with the HD cables, so all resolutions are available to test (NTSC region 1). I am a faithful tester. I give reports, read source, and don't leak. LOL.
Dom DXecutioner

nodots wrote:Well, not for this one... but what about the "XBMC Origins" skin? That one actually looks like I could pour some time into it!

EDIT: I have a 1080p tv with the HD cables, so all resolutions are available to test (NTSC region 1). I am a faithful tester. I give reports, read source, and don't leak. LOL.
Thanks for offer but it would take too much of an effort on my part to attempt and explain how some things work or even what needs fixing; truth be told, since i just use the skin to watch media, i forget what needs fixing in other areas of the software. Previously when I asked for feedback and suggestions I received very - and i mean very - little of it, as a result i just didn't work on it as often.

Either way, I do thank you for offering; it's nice to have someone wanting to contribute; if and when i do need specific assistance, i'll let you know.

Thank you!

Dom DXecutioner
-
seriouslycgi

Post by seriouslycgi »

That skin of yours seems to be getting a lot of attention now. These topics about it are always active, its a shame its not a collaborative effort, i think it is a fantastic skin, its a shame noone was willing to help out including myself.

The default xbmc skin is perfect, as it is.
nodots

Post by nodots »

Dom DXecutioner wrote:Thanks for offer but it would take too much of an effort on my part to attempt and explain how some things work or even what needs fixing...
Oh, I can bumble through code fairly well. I have never programmed in C/C++, but I found out that a feature that I thought removed was still there. It's not exactly right, so I'll fix it so it is... and probably submit a one line patch.
muns88

Post by muns88 »

I'd love to contribute, however possible. I've got the 1080 setup as well and would love to see that skin come to life. Any interest in releasing the source?