Dang! Design Choices, Choices, Choices...

Discussion and development of skins for XBMC4XBOX
Dom DXecutioner

Dang! Design Choices, Choices, Choices...

Post by Dom DXecutioner »

Sometimes when we have too many choices we are unable to move forward... this seems to be the case for me; perhaps you can help!

The view below is, tentatively, named "Wide Icons Info Panel"; however, there are various designs to choose from and I can't make up my mind as to which to choose... Keep in mind this is suppose to resemble the xbox 360 and to some degree, the xbox one (tho not the objective).

The view above has a bigger panel when focused and the unfocused items have a 50%-70% transparency; this can allow the fanart to be viewable (if enabled) in the background. The background is also white by default.

The view above is similar to the previous one, the only difference is that the unfocused items do not have a transparency...

Which is better?

The image above is the same as the previous, however, the focus item is the same size as the unfocused, and the background is green, but can also change depending on the "theme."

The same as above but with the unfocused items having transparency...

So, which is most appealing? And, no! Whilst all can be added, only one will make it!

This concept is the same with other available views.... examples:

posters view

Is unfocused transparency better? Is solid green (changeable) or white background better? Is an enlarged focused item better than normal? Dang! So many choices! :/
xbs

Re: Dang! Design Choices, Choices, Choices...

Post by xbs »

I prefer Transparency unfocused and Green focused :)
Skins: SLik JX720 MS_Redux Mosaic
Utils: HeXEn
github.com/xbs08/
chunk1982

Post by chunk1982 »

Me personally I like the green focused but prefer non transparency, the reason being I like all the colour! I run mine at 720p and the colours pop, nice eye candy.
You will never please everyone so its down to what you prefer ;)

All the best

Paul
byron

Post by byron »

I actually agree with both of xbs and chunk, but you could have both of those without much effort...just make a transparency setting from CustomViewOptions and make it a "clickable" option. If the choice were up to me (and I was skinning it of course), I would lean toward non-transparency as it sometimes becomes difficult to read descriptions, leads to wondering if someone using the skin gets it, which leads to more obsession on your part :) All of these views look cool though, have fun.
NOTTHESAME

Post by NOTTHESAME »

i also agree with the guys, vote me in :)