Font / Language help

Discussion and development of skins for XBMC4XBOX
byron

Font / Language help

Post by byron »

FONTS:
I'm going to have to go through and change all of my fonts in Rapier for better multilingual support (tedious), and since I've been playing with new fonts I've noticed "y" positioning has been off. Questions are....

1) What should the <aligny></aligny> position be (center, top) for consistency with all label controls (default = top)?
2) What should the <align></align> position be (left, center, right) for consistency with all label controls (default = left)?
3) Same for button control labels?
4) Anything else I should know that might prohibit proper consistent label positioning at this point?

LANGUAGE:
For skin strings I was wondering if anyone knows a way of translating "English" strings to different languages. I've tried Team XBMC's Translator (no longer mainline's method afaik), but have had no luck with it at all. All I have is English atm (need to find a way to easily create German, French, Spanish, etc...)

Any help is MUCH appreciated, and thanks in advance

byron
Dom DXecutioner

Re: Font / Language help

Post by Dom DXecutioner »

I don't know about the fonts question, however, in my opinion, you shouldn't do translations yourself, if anyone else is interested, then they should help in the translation; this way you're not overwhelmed with something that may not be used.

Just a thought!
Strelki

Post by Strelki »

Hi byron, if you want I can help, I can translate strings.xml english to french! I have little begin when I have try your skin ;)
Xbox v1.2 TSOP 5004.67, ide/sata adaptator, IDE Cable 80 wires, HDD Samsung 2To (HD204UI), PC DVD drive LG GDR-8164B with adaptator solderless, and Noiseblocker UltraSilentFan S3 80mm.
byron

Post by byron »

@ Dom...Thanks for the suggestion, seems to have been a great idea :) Just thought that if I could get the translator to work it wouldn't be very time consuming or difficult at that point...I think it has something to do with the way that it generates the new string files. It keeps saying "this is not a valid language file" when you try to make a new language folder. I know very little about applications, If you have some free time maybe you could give it a test on your skin and see what I'm talking about (Here's the utility if you're interested)

@ Strelki...YES, you're more than welcome! Just give me a couple of days to get my new labels and fonts straight, and a chance to get my strings.xml in order (it's a total mess). When I'm finished editing it, I'll post a link to the new modified file. Thanks for the offer, much appreciated and at least it will give you the option of trying out another skin. I'll put the link up soon, so check back if you wouldn't mind...
Strelki

Post by Strelki »

byron wrote:@ Strelki...YES, you're more than welcome! Just give me a couple of days to get my new labels and fonts straight, and a chance to get my strings.xml in order (it's a total mess). When I'm finished editing it, I'll post a link to the new modified file. Thanks for the offer, much appreciated and at least it will give you the option of trying out another skin. I'll put the link up soon, so check back if you wouldn't mind...
Ok I wait your upload of new strings.xml, and I translate! Not problem for help its normal if we want use your skin in our language ;)
Xbox v1.2 TSOP 5004.67, ide/sata adaptator, IDE Cable 80 wires, HDD Samsung 2To (HD204UI), PC DVD drive LG GDR-8164B with adaptator solderless, and Noiseblocker UltraSilentFan S3 80mm.