[Artwork] Emulator Icons: Origins Style

Discussion and development of skins for XBMC4XBOX
xbmc4you

Re: [Artwork] Emulator Icons: Origins Style

Post by xbmc4you »

Dom DXecutioner wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:38 pm In order to display the image displayed for a game, emulator or application, simply rename the desired image to default.tbn and place it in the folder where the corresponding default.XBE is located.

To display the new icons, FTP and navigate to xbmc\userdata\thumbnails\programs and delete the contents of that folder to delete the current icons cache.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks a lot, Dom! :) :!:
XC-3730C

Post by XC-3730C »

Does anyone have more of these for more systems? I am looking for computer emulators like MSX, Amiga, etc, as well as portables, DOS ports (Quake, Duke Nukem, etc) and homebrew.
InunoTaishou

Post by InunoTaishou »

I didn't like the already posted PlayStation icon (PSOne, should be PSX or PlayStation), so I re-did it. And created an icon for the C64

Coldly-Indifferent

Post by Coldly-Indifferent »

I've made my own emu, homebrew and application 256x256 icons for Xbox use in fact it is still a project on the go. I use UnleashX as a primary dash with other Xboxes and creating icons that display well in the smaller size my preferred skins on that uses as well as XBMC bigger thumbnails is an art.

I like to use original platform icons or image files from emus (apps, homebrew too) as the basis for the icon but sometimes nothing suitable is available and it is designed from the ground up. I do not like uniform designs for all icons so I try to be as different as possible from emu to emu.

I'm quite OCD about fonts and try to identify the exact ones used for any additional text I might want to add. But in many cases the original font is not identifiable, they're often hybrids or custom created. That 'Playstation' font a lot of icon creators use for instance (Zrnic, also found as PS2 in some places) is not even close to the original PS font used by the games and hardware. The original "Xbox" font is, likewise, a pale imitation of the Xbox logo font which probably didn't ever have a full font set anyway.

This is my current Playstation PCSXbox emu icon. NB. the PCSXbox lettering is done using Zrnic as I thought a surrogate font was actually appropriate for an emulator:-
PCSXbox Logo C.png
PCSXbox Logo C.png (28.76 KiB) Viewed 15624 times
Also a Commodore 64 (Vice64X) one I did recently. Colours, main and background, used are authentic ie. those from the original logo and/or the original console's packaging :-
Vice64X A.png
Vice64X A.png (29.56 KiB) Viewed 15624 times
A MSX one too. Background is from the emu itself (often used in Madmab's emus) and the logo is an authentic font remake of one of the earlier versions of the emus icon title logo:-
BlueMSXBox Icon 4.png
BlueMSXBox Icon 4.png (31.19 KiB) Viewed 15624 times
kgctim

Post by kgctim »

These are pretty rad, is there a place to download high res versions all in one package?
Lisabeth

Post by Lisabeth »

Speaking of emulators, how impossible would a layover be so say you "mouse over" the nes emulator could one set a condition to display a transparent png in xbmc(of say mario etc american f1 gp
), to load over part of the screen much the way arcade launchers do eg, vision and coinops. You would draw a bit of attention from the emulator crowd. it would be a simple tweak to your skin (if possible) and look cool for the Emulating users?
Click at columbus deluxe
 how
Coldly-Indifferent

Post by Coldly-Indifferent »

Talking of fonts as I was earlier I discovered I was wrong about there not being a 'full' original Xbox font.

The font name to look for is Xbold.

I'm not sure whether it is an official font or a user created one but at the very least it matches the official Xbox characters we do have and the others appear to follow the basic design features of those characters. It is probably as authentic as you're going to find.

It is certainly far better match than the Xbox font you can find and often see being used in UnleashX and EvoX skins.
Dmetrios554

Post by Dmetrios554 »

it looked beautiful