2tb Hdd upgrade headache.

XBOXDUDE

2tb Hdd upgrade headache.

Post by XBOXDUDE »

Greetings all.
Tried everywhere I can think of but nowhere seems to have info.
I have a 2tb hdd slapped in an xbox,everything goes fine with upgrade & no real problems. However when all is finished,hdd partioned etc the DVD drive no longer reads any games,they come up as video. I am using the at133 cable,generic sata adaptor & 2tb Seagate barracuda. Chipped,softmodded or tsop does the same thing. Tried jumpers on master,slave & cable select,same thing or error code. Had no dramas using same bits with a 1tb & 1.5tb but a 2tb goes screwy. Is there something I missed or screwed up?
Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions
professor_jonny

Re: 2tb Hdd upgrade headache.

Post by professor_jonny »

have you tried another dvd drive?
and have you tried a different motherboard version ? I find some versions work better with the 2b than other models.
XBOXDUDE

Post by XBOXDUDE »

Have tried all motherboard versions & all DVD drive types. Nothing. Wondering if somehow the bios isn't right for 2tb but it's the same one I used for 1tb & 1.5tb.
shloader

Post by shloader »

XBOXDUDE wrote:Have tried all motherboard versions & all DVD drive types. Nothing. Wondering if somehow the bios isn't right for 2tb but it's the same one I used for 1tb & 1.5tb.
What Bios & Hard Drive are you using?
I make a conscious effort to use terms that can be googled.
Xbox modding is really about understanding the nomenclature, and a good HeXEn disc.
Drinking while posting happens. It's not like drinking and driving; try to be understanding.
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

More than likely interference on the IDE cable caused by the SATA adaptor.

It's why it's mandatory for a 80wire ide cable as this cuts down the interference on the data lines.
( could be the HDD, adaptor or the IDE cable )
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
shloader

Post by shloader »

Right, but I figured he was already implying (at133) that he was using an 80-wire cable. Odd that you'd get abnormal performance from a DVD-ROM like this and not simply get an error 12 at boot.
I make a conscious effort to use terms that can be googled.
Xbox modding is really about understanding the nomenclature, and a good HeXEn disc.
Drinking while posting happens. It's not like drinking and driving; try to be understanding.
TL GAMER

Post by TL GAMER »

shloader wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:21 pm Right, but I figured he was already implying (at133) that he was using an 80-wire cable. Odd that you'd get abnormal performance from a DVD-ROM like this and not simply get an error 12 at boot.
Not to revive and old post but this isn't odd, I currently have the same exact problem, upgrading to a 2TB with the exact components, completely killed any use of the DVD drive from any mod menu, the disk either
1. isn't being read at all
2. Hangs there when trying to read and locks up the system so a hard reset has to be done
3. The name of any disk in the system is "UNKOWN" and any attempt to use file explorer shows nothing in the drive and it does nothing when you try to access it.

However the dvd drive works just fine. If the console is booted up with the disk already in the drive it will launch the disk Game or app disk that is properly formatted to xbox boot disks and a default.xbe. Besides, if the drive was bad, the system wouldn't even boot up.