XBOX 2TB SATA Upgrade Tutorial

RunsilenT

Re: XBOX 2TB SATA Upgrade Tutorial

Post by RunsilenT »

Sorry, I have no tales to tell on the use of Hitachi drives. The adaptors are quite cheap to buy and a suitable 24" Dual Ultra ATA ide ribbon cable should be
reasonably cheap too. The adaptor pictured has a jumper which is important if your using Chimp on a softmodded box, Cable select mode is required for a
Hot swap. Once the Hotswap is complete and Chimp has done its thing, the jumper is best removed in my experience. If hard modded likewise I remove
the jumper, I`m pretty sure you only use the jumper in Master mode if you have a custom bios that has removed dvd drive support? Feel free to correct
me anyone if i`m mistaken. Western Digital Green 2tb drives have been problematic for me in the past, by not booting fast enough for the xbox to see
the bios and give an error, intermittent boot problems i suppose rather than not booting at all. I have hard modded 18 xboxes using 2TB Seagate Barracuda,
now just known as Seagate Desktop ST2000DM001 with no issues and reliable speedy operation. SSHD drives as in Hybbrids are a grey area also as I`ve had
issues with those. I suppose what I`m saying is, trial and error is still the best solution, buying a cheap hard drive is always a gamble for reliability never mind
compatibility. Posting your experiences on here will help us all but Seagate will be the best option 1 or 2tb in my opinion, normally £40 - £57 new to buy right
now.... Goodluck
davepyne

Post by davepyne »

Just tried this upgrade myself successfully. A few notes:

I have softmodded xbox version 1.6

i used a 2tb hdd model number: STBD2000101

That is a SATA HDD so I used a SATA to PATA Adapter Card-81615 "Agestar" (bought it for about $10 on dealextreme)

I was concerned about the comments on the first few pages of this thread talking about slowness after upgrading. I did not experience any slowness or problems booting myself. I don't know if that is because I used the upgraded IDE cables (with 80-wires instead of 40) or because i have softmod instead of mod-chip, or if it has to do with the version of xbox (again, i have a 1.6)

regarding XBPARTITIONER. Make sure to get the latest version (1.3 at time of writing). It takes the guesswork out of choosing partition options, cluster size.

One thing that got me slowed down a bit was loading CHIMP. I wasn't clear on when exactly to unplug the DVD-drive and plug in the new HDD. I did it after it loaded to the blue menu and before I clicked on the "FATX" icon.

I attach a step-by-step guide that worked for me. I hope this is helpful to anyone out there. Let me know if you have any questions, and I will do my best to help!
Attachments
Cloned my hdd notes 1-9-2016.zip
(1.19 KiB) Downloaded 423 times
xzotick

Post by xzotick »

I have been monkeying around with this for about 2 weeks now. Still havent had much success.. I've tried with two different xbox 1.0's with evox m8 plus and x2 5035. and I'm using the sata to pata board suggest in the guide as most compatible. I have a softmod 1.2 with 500 PATA running great. but would rather leave it as it. BTW I've tried several differnt Hard Drives from 750gb to 2tb. always some little fluke, letters corrupted in slayers, or so fourth...sometimes can get system to boot with evox dash, but when I change to unleashX, starts spitting errors. system boots fine from 250gb IDE. dont really want to use evox dash because of slow FTP speed.
crazyazz

Post by crazyazz »

Hi guys,

I have the sabent sata/ide controller and a WD blue 1TB HDD. I have evo x m8 bios with F drive set to take all and no G.

When using an auto installer none of the installed app etc work or list. I have ftped to and some times they run and sometimes dont. I have sent files via FTP and back and checked CRC and they seem the same

What is the issue?
xman

Post by xman »

Never done this myself but you can be the guinea pig. Put in a F and G bios, using XbPartitoner make F drive 1Gb and have all the rest, ( it should be about 926GB if you clustered the 1TB correctly), on the G drive. F is the last drive to come on line when using a sata adapter so it stands to reason G drive will be fine. You can use the 1Gb on F drive for less important things. What you are experiencing with a 1TB sata isn't uncommon but you can make it happen far less to the point of nearly never doing it. A machine power reset often cures it till the next time it occurs. You can make a loop of shortcuts in the bios to slow things down to give the adapter more time to come online correctly, I am talking milliseconds here BTW. Also don't have your booting app on F drive. This is only going to cause problems with a sata HDD equipped machine. Always use E drive for your apps folder. Here is another tip......Sata hardrives in Xboxes also need to be near a 1/3 full before they start to really work well as in good bootup times etc. Your machine may come good if it doesn't have that near 1/3 capacity of content yet.
crazyazz

Post by crazyazz »

xman wrote:Never done this myself but you can be the guinea pig. Put in a F and G bios, using XbPartitoner make F drive 1Gb and have all the rest, ( it should be about 926GB if you clustered the 1TB correctly), on the G drive. F is the last drive to come on line when using a sata adapter so it stands to reason G drive will be fine. You can use the 1Gb on F drive for less important things. What you are experiencing with a 1TB sata isn't uncommon but you can make it happen far less to the point of nearly never doing it. A machine power reset often cures it till the next time it occurs. You can make a loop of shortcuts in the bios to slow things down to give the adapter more time to come online correctly, I am talking milliseconds here BTW. Also don't have your booting app on F drive. This is only going to cause problems with a sata HDD equipped machine. Always use E drive for your apps folder. Here is another tip......Sata hardrives in Xboxes also need to be near a 1/3 full before they start to really work well as in good bootup times etc. Your machine may come good if it doesn't have that near 1/3 capacity of content yet.
Will give it a go, what version of XbPartitoner is the best to use?
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

crazyazz wrote:Hi guys,

I have the sabent sata/ide controller and a WD blue 1TB HDD. I have evo x m8 bios with F drive set to take all and no G.

When using an auto installer none of the installed app etc work or list. I have ftped to and some times they run and sometimes dont. I have sent files via FTP and back and checked CRC and they seem the same

What is the issue?
You got a 80wire IDE cable? there mandatory with Sata adaptors.
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
crazyazz

Post by crazyazz »

Rocky5 wrote:
crazyazz wrote:Hi guys,

What is the issue?
You got a 80wire IDE cable? there mandatory with Sata adaptors.
Yes, the HDD a WD blue and a Samsung 1TB I tired both didnt work at all with the 80pin. The xbox DVDrom drive worked fine though. I tired another xbox IDE cable it has the same problem. I have ordered another sata adaptor. I have done a few xboxes before without issue. The xbox is a 1.0
sd_dracula

Post by sd_dracula »

Hi guys.
Will a 3TB HDD SATA drive work via the same method?
Could I create a 3rd partition for the 3rd TB or is the xbox limited to 2tb max?
I'd like to get a 3TB drive and store everything on it but I haven't seen anyone mention anything over 2TB in the whole thread.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

2Tb is it :-) I'm not sure if you could fit a 3 and waste a Tb though .

Sent by SlimKat FirePhone
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

sd_dracula wrote:Hi guys.
Will a 3TB HDD SATA drive work via the same method?
Could I create a 3rd partition for the 3rd TB or is the xbox limited to 2tb max?
I'd like to get a 3TB drive and store everything on it but I haven't seen anyone mention anything over 2TB in the whole thread.
Yup, XBMC should see all fatX partitions.

So format 3 extra partitions to 990+GB 64k cluster.
(XBPartitioner v1.3 will be required)

XBMC will be the only dashboard to see this third partition.
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
sd_dracula

Post by sd_dracula »

So EvoX or Unleash X will not see it at all? It has to be XBMC?
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

sd_dracula wrote:So EvoX or Unleash X will not see it at all? It has to be XBMC?
Yes, no other dashboard that I'm aware of supports partitions over G for data.
(Not counting virtual drives, cache partitions or memory cards)
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

I thought 2TB was topps , no more ?
So if you had a 4TB drive in the Xbox could you use it for movies , games etc under XBMC ...

Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

hawsey wrote:I thought 2TB was topps , no more ?
So if you had a 4TB drive in the Xbox could you use it for movies , games etc under XBMC ...

From what I understand the cluster size is the issue, 64k is the max it goes to, as 128k is required for over 1tb & it has something to do with the CPU that stopping it. There was talk about (years ago) how to work around it, but it was never done.

Also no dashboards work with partitions over G other than XBMC. As the source code for evolutionx dash or unleashx was never released, so newer builds of XBMC would work. IdotsFan supplied the patch to have XBMC load partitions from the partition table correctly, so partitions over G should load & be accessible via XBMC.

The partitions will need to be under 1tb to have no issues.
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Thanks for that explanation , so I wonder if anyone has fitted bigger than a 2TB successfully .

On a side note I got my blank CDs yesterday so will be giving your installer tool a whizz .
Cheers

tobeypeters

Post by tobeypeters »

So, what drive was used in the end? Can I use Western Digital Black drives? Was he confirming that? Plus, can I just use the latest version of Chimp to clone the drive?
qnesoq

Post by qnesoq »

Hello
I read that guide and i tried to connect 2 Tb and 1TB hdd to my Xbox. I can see F and G partitions. But I cant upload more than 130 Folders and 260 GB by using FTP. And ıt shows error " director dont find" then It stops uploading. I Used xpartition 1.1 and 1.3 as told in F and G guides. I tried to do as 32/64 cluster but I couldnt upload more games.
Is it possible to remove theese limits? I tried all of bios in device ( 5032-5035 ind and evox)
law56ker

Post by law56ker »

Hello, I would like to upgrade to a 2tb drive. I purchased this drive https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EI ... UTF8&psc=1

"Seagate 2TB Desktop Gaming SSHD(Solid State Hybrid Drive) SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive"

Will this drive work on my xbox. It's version 1.6 with an Xecuter3CE installed.

What do i need to purchase, besides the hardrive to get it to work, and what software do I need to use on my already modified xbox.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

You will need a Sata to ide adapter , check the thread for links to working ones .
With a chipped Xbox you can just fit it then run an installer CD , Rocky5 s will be best as he's active on the forum .
With XBPartitioner make sure the cluster sizes are correct
Plenty people to help you out here , just shout out :-)
Good luck .

Sent from my Smart Ultra 6 using Tapatalk