XBOX 2TB SATA Upgrade Tutorial

Amigaz

Re: XBOX 2TB SATA Upgrade Tutorial

Post by Amigaz »

xman wrote:If you are getting "invalid path" you may not have G drive selected in the Ind bios settings maybe?. Does the G drive show up in the EvoxDash or another app?. Ideally if you have another HDD with both F and G drive, ( doesn't matter what sized drives F and G are on it), as long as it is unlocked, the bios should pick it up and see both F and G drives and this test will prove the bios you are using is indeed set up correctly. By the way, when you put a sub folder in the G drive as I suggested earlier to get the G drive to "mount", you do also need to put some content, ( it can be any size or type), inside this sub folder to get it to work. Don't just create a sub folder on it's own. When the G Drive needs to be "mounted", the sure way to prove this " mounting" is required is G drive will appear in the XBMC filemanager but will display 0 GB as it's size. Once it is mounted it should display about 927GB in the G Drive if it is clustered correctly. Any big variation larger that 927GB is indicating you buggered up the re-clustering process. If none of this works I would re-cluster the G drive again using XBPartitioner 1.3.

GTRetro87 wrote:
(I had tried to reformat the partitions in XBP before reducing the size of each partition.. but it made no difference in XBMC, G was still there - so that told me if you don't format with a different partition size than the last time you formatted, no change will happen at all).

This is correct. If you don't alter the size either manually or hitting the B button to rotate threw the selections and re-clustering that size, no re-clustering will occur.
It is the IND-BIOS 5003.67 so it should have F and G
No problems with my other Xboxes with Evox M8 bios wich one of them is using the same HDD and Sata/Ide adapter so maybe the IND bios is more troublesome?
I an going to try and create the folder by FTP'ing into the Xbox since it doesnt work to create a folder in XBMC

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
Xbox Crystal 1.6 chipped
Xbox Crystal Green 1.2 TSOP
Xbox 1.6 softmod
Amigaz

Post by Amigaz »

Got it working.

I wiped the disk with Hexen (Shambles edit) and rebuilt the drive.

FTP'ed over Xbpartioner 1.3 and clustered the F and G drive correctly.

Created a folder and subfolder on both F and G drive and put a jpeg file in each subfolder, rebooted the UnleashX dash and voila!

In XBMC 3.5.3

Slayers put the IND-BIOS cfg file in the C drive, dunno if that made a difference in the end since I don't know what the default built in values is in the cfg file that's on the BIOS
I'm new to the IND-BIOS.
Xbox Crystal 1.6 chipped
Xbox 1.6 softmod
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

Amigaz wrote:Got it working.

Created a folder and subfolder on both F and G drive and put a jpeg file in each subfolder, rebooted the UnleashX dash and voila!

In XBMC 3.5.3

Slayers put the IND-BIOS cfg file in the C drive, dunno if that made a difference in the end since I don't know what the default built in values is in the cfg file that's on the BIOS
I'm new to the IND-BIOS.
I'm guessing the ind-bios internal config doesn't have the partition table enabled by default?

As the issues you had seemed like it was using the LBA48 hack, F takes all space. ( that's the .6 version )
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
blaeker18

Post by blaeker18 »

Hi, I have a problem.

My xbox is v1.6, I install a Hitachi 2TB hard drive, use the adapter Sabrent. Now when I turn shows Error 9.

I use softmod, I do not have bios M8 +

What is the solution ?
Amigaz

Post by Amigaz »

Rocky5 wrote:
Amigaz wrote:Got it working.

In XBMC 3.5.3

I'm new to the IND-BIOS.
I'm guessing the ind-bios internal config doesn't have the partition table enabled by default?

As the issues you had seemed like it was using the LBA48 hack, F takes all space. ( that's the .6 version )
Yes, starting to suspect that.

I used the NMS Tsop Flasher 3.0 game exploit by Nemesis and I believe it has the IND-BIOS 5004 but it's listed as IND-BIOS 5003.67 in XBMC but I might have the .6 built in CFG or you have to have the CFG on C for G to be enabled ...
Xbox Crystal 1.6 chipped
Xbox 1.6 softmod
Amigaz

Post by Amigaz »

blaeker18 wrote:Hi, I have a problem.

My xbox is v1.6, I install a Hitachi 2TB hard drive, use the adapter Sabrent. Now when I turn shows Error 9.

What is the solution ?
Using the original IDE cable or an 80-pin cable?
Xbox Crystal 1.6 chipped
Xbox 1.6 softmod
blaeker18

Post by blaeker18 »

Amigaz wrote:
blaeker18 wrote:Hi, I have a problem.

What is the solution ?
Using the original IDE cable or an 80-pin cable?
hi Amigaz. I use the cable IDE of 40-pin of the console. in this forum mentioned that the original console cable adapter works with the Sabrent.

the adapter Sabrent works perfectly. Check operation with sata 320GB hard drive.

But using 2TB hard drive shows Error 09.

the hard drive I use is...
Hitachi GST Deskstar 5K3000 HDS5C3020ALA632 (0F12117) 2TB 5400 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

blaeker18 wrote:hi Amigaz. I use the cable IDE of 40-pin of the console. in this forum mentioned that the original console cable adapter works with the Sabrent.

the adapter Sabrent works perfectly. Check operation with sata 320GB hard drive.

But using 2TB hard drive shows Error 09.

the hard drive I use is...
Hitachi GST Deskstar 5K3000 HDS5C3020ALA632 (0F12117) 2TB 5400 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Use a 80 wire and if it persists let us know, but until then there is no point trouble shooting as the 40 wire IDE cable causes issues with adaptors. ( you say it works with a smaller HDD that's great, but the 2TB has a larger seek time and different controller board )

The 40 wire cable has signal issues when using adaptors, that's why it's recommended ( mandatory ) to use a 80 wire cable as this has a ground wire for each data wire and reduces the signal degradation dramatically.
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
blaeker18

Post by blaeker18 »

Rocky5 wrote:
Use a 80 wire and if it persists let us know, but until then there is no point trouble shooting as the 40 wire IDE cable causes issues with adaptors. ( you say it works with a smaller HDD that's great, but the 2TB has a larger seek time and different controller board )

The 40 wire cable has signal issues when using adaptors, that's why it's recommended ( mandatory ) to use a 80 wire cable as this has a ground wire for each data wire and reduces the signal degradation dramatically.
Hi Rocky5. I did the test with a 80 pin ide cable. Shows the error 07.

It can be hard drive problem?. here was tested with Seagate brand and Sabrent adapter. The results were positive.
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

blaeker18 wrote:
Rocky5 wrote:

Hi Rocky5. I did the test with a 80 pin ide cable. Shows the error 07.

It can be hard drive problem?. here was tested with Seagate brand and Sabrent adapter. The results were positive.
Error 7 is HDD timeout, so it's probably the adaptor that's the issue. Like I said the seek times on a larger HDD are greater and can cause issues.

Your only hope is to make sure all cables are securely plugged in and try again, or purchase a new sata to ide adaptor.
( or use a smaller HDD, but you want to 2TB so that's not an option )
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
blaeker18

Post by blaeker18 »

Rocky5 wrote:

Hi Rocky5. The user twistedsymphony, the use the following configutacion.

-Seagate Baracuda ST2000DM001
-Sabrent Adapter SBT-STDB (with jumper removed)
-40-pin IDE cable
-X2 5035 bios (TSOP flashed v1.0 Xbox)
-Auto Installer Deluxe v4.53
-XB Partitioner v1.3

He mentioned that worked him. For that reason I think the adapter works. Maybe it's incompatibility with the hard drive hitachi I have. Hare the test with a Seagate hard drive.
Amigaz

Post by Amigaz »

blaeker18 wrote:
Rocky5 wrote:

Hi Rocky5. The user twistedsymphony, the use the following configutacion.

-Seagate Baracuda ST2000DM001
-Sabrent Adapter SBT-STDB (with jumper removed)
-40-pin IDE cable
-X2 5035 bios (TSOP flashed v1.0 Xbox)
-Auto Installer Deluxe v4.53
-XB Partitioner v1.3

He mentioned that worked him. For that reason I think the adapter works. Maybe it's incompatibility with the hard drive hitachi I have. Hare the test with a Seagate hard drive.
Try another or smaller harddrive so you can rule out the adapter and cable

Xbox Crystal 1.6 chipped
Xbox 1.6 softmod
blaeker18

Post by blaeker18 »

Amigaz wrote:
Try another or smaller harddrive so you can rule out the adapter and cable
Hi Amigaz. Hare test exactly with the hard drive:

Seagate Baracuda ST2000DM001 ( 2TB )
blaeker18

Post by blaeker18 »

Solve my problem

The Sabrent adapter is not compatible with the Hitachi GST Deskstar 5K3000 HDS5C3020ALA632 (0F12117) 2TB 5400 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb / s hard disk

Test with a hard drive Seagate Barracuda. Everything worked well

This was my configuration:

- Seagate Baracuda ST2000DM001
- Adapter Sabrent SBT-STDB (jumper removed)
- 40-pin IDE cable
- Softmod (Installed with Borg Installer Disc)
- Xelector (Starts xbmc4xbox in f: /app/xbmc4xbox/defalut.xbe)
- Xbox V1.6
SVCGames

Post by SVCGames »

Well I've tried to upgrade but no success so far. @Amigaz you might help me since I tried a similar configuration to yours in this post: http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewt ... 160#p35817

So far I've been using a Crystal Xbox v1.6 with Duox 2 Lite chip installed and a 250GB Seagate Barracuda (IDE), the one in this photo:

My power supply died and when I was replacing it I thought "well, I could upgrade to 2tb", so after reading the thread I bought a Western Digital Red 2TB hard drive (WD20EFRX). As you can see in the picture is the same used by Amigaz in that linked post:

I also ordered a an adapter from ebay:
http://www.ebay.es/itm/321873050334?_tr ... EBIDX%3AIT

I've noticed that while the one in ebay have code JP103-5 mine have RXD-629A7-7 but I gave it a try anyway.

So the xbox tries to start and I can hear the HD trying to start too but after a few tries error 07 shows up. I've tried this with both 40 and 80pin cable.

What confused me is the following: One of the times trying to start the console a red light on the adapter (right under the central chip) turned on and the xbox was actually trying to read the DVD (I heard the DVD and the xbox led was blinking) but then the adapter light turned off and ended with error 7 again.

Also, I've noticed that the adapter gets quite hot just under the power connector.

Is it a defective adapter? Amigaz, where did you get your sata adapter since your configuration seems to work ok?
Amigaz

Post by Amigaz »

SVCGames wrote:Well I've tried to upgrade but no success so far. @Amigaz you might help me since I tried a similar configuration to yours in this post: http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewt ... 160#p35817

So far I've been using a Crystal Xbox v1.6 with Duox 2 Lite chip installed and a 250GB Seagate Barracuda (IDE), the one in this photo:

My power supply died and when I was replacing it I thought "well, I could upgrade to 2tb", so after reading the thread I bought a Western Digital Red 2TB hard drive (WD20EFRX). As you can see in the picture is the same used by Amigaz in that linked post:

I also ordered a an adapter from ebay:
http://www.ebay.es/itm/321873050334?_tr ... EBIDX%3AIT

I've noticed that while the one in ebay have code JP103-5 mine have RXD-629A7-7 but I gave it a try anyway.

Sounds like your adapter is defective, two adapter of this model have died on me ... the build quality is poor and the adapter must be handled very carefully .. no stress should be put on the SATA or IDE connector or the board itself.

I never put the SATA/IDE bridge directly on the HDD since it can put stress on the adapter when the IDE cable is moving, I always use a SATA extender and put the SATA/IDE bridge behind the DVD drive

Recently I even tried a 1tb SATA Samsung Spinpoint 1tb drive with this adapter and it worked flawlessly.

So the xbox tries to start and I can hear the HD trying to start too but after a few tries error 07 shows up. I've tried this with both 40 and 80pin cable.

What confused me is the following: One of the times trying to start the console a red light on the adapter (right under the central chip) turned on and the xbox was actually trying to read the DVD (I heard the DVD and the xbox led was blinking) but then the adapter light turned off and ended with error 7 again.

Also, I've noticed that the adapter gets quite hot just under the power connector.

Is it a defective adapter? Amigaz, where did you get your sata adapter since your configuration seems to work ok?
Xbox Crystal 1.6 chipped
Xbox 1.6 softmod
Amigaz

Post by Amigaz »

Forgot to add that if the red light on the adapter goes out = dead adapter
Xbox Crystal 1.6 chipped
Xbox 1.6 softmod
SVCGames

Post by SVCGames »

Amigaz wrote:Forgot to add that if the red light on the adapter goes out = dead adapter
So it's defective... well do you think I should ask for another one deom the same source (it might work) or search for a JP103-5?
Amigaz

Post by Amigaz »

SVCGames wrote:
Amigaz wrote:Forgot to add that if the red light on the adapter goes out = dead adapter
So it's defective... well do you think I should ask for another one deom the same source (it might work) or search for a JP103-5?
Best is to order a few so you have some backups

I've bought some of these from this seller
https://www.ebay.com/itm/351749665847

Xbox Crystal 1.6 chipped
Xbox 1.6 softmod
SVCGames

Post by SVCGames »

Amigaz wrote:
SVCGames wrote:
Best is to order a few so you have some backups

I've bought some of these from this seller
https://www.ebay.com/itm/351749665847

Wow, thanks a lot for the help. Let's hope it works as expected, I'll keep you updated on my progress