XBOX 2TB SATA Upgrade Tutorial

XC-3730C

Re: XBOX 2TB SATA Upgrade Tutorial

Post by XC-3730C »

At this point since XBOX'S are so cheap, wouldn't it just be a lot easier to TSOP flash a system that is 1.0-1.5?
adamska2020

Post by adamska2020 »

Well, I don't have a great update...I dropped the original xbox IDE drive onto the carpet from about four feet up and now when I put it back together, I get error code 07, which means the HDD times out. So now my xbox is probably borked because I was working off of softmod and I don't know how to recover it. Probably buy another one from a flea market and try again.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Did you back up the eeprom ? If not make sure it's the first thing you do next time and then you can fix things easily with that .
adamska2020

Post by adamska2020 »

hawsey wrote:Did you back up the eeprom ? If not make sure it's the first thing you do next time and then you can fix things easily with that .
I lost it when I built a new PC and wiped a drive. I still have my Wii and 3DS NAND backups but I didn't save the Xbox's EEPROM for some reason. Oh well, lots of lessons learned this time around and luckily it was for a low cost system. My choices are that I can either hardmod the system and then pop in a new drive or just buy another console for cheap and softmod again.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Yep I would get another and softmod , back up eeeprom then tsop so it wont matter if you loose it :-)
Or get a one ready chipped
What have you done with your Wii ? I quite fancy modding one up but wouldn't know where to start
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

Isn't this an option?

You can chip this one that's broken. Then get a (matching version) EEPROM and write to the Xbox. Prepare a new drive with the HD unlock code from the new EEPROM and you're back to softmodded.

You can alternatively get a pre-made EEPROM reader/writer or wire up one of your own. This way you can recover your original HD unlock code from the Xbox EEPROM.
adamska2020

Post by adamska2020 »

Just so anyone who has been following along with the thrilling saga so far has an ending, I bought another dirt cheap XBOX and got the sucker to work with my 1TB drive. It's transferring games by FTP as we speak. So pumped to get started with this thing.
XC-3730C

Post by XC-3730C »

I have had to recover an xbox where the HDD has died/broken softmod (I don't deal with softmods any more) by using one of my chips to TSOP it, and throw in a new drive.
makeitfonky

Post by makeitfonky »

Thanks for this awesome tutorial.

I am really close to sucess, I need your help guys :geek: :

I have a v1.6 softmoded xbox using hacked spliter cell saved game with unleash X installed.
I bought a 2 TB seagate barracuda and this sata to pata http://www.dx.com/fr/p/sata-to-pata-adapter-card-81615.

With chimp I fully cloned the drive and locked it.
When I try to boot the xbox with the 2TB drive (with external power source) it works 1/5 time: unleashx boots and everything works fine, 4/5 time I get a 13 error.
When I use directly the xbox power source it just wont work.

What should I do? :?: Get a 80 pin? Change the sata to pata adapter?
I tried to add some shortcuts with XBE shortcut maker, but it did not changed anything. I also tried to reboot the xbox quickly, it never worked.

Please advice! :D
Thanks a lot!
BlockABoots

Post by BlockABoots »

Have just soft modded my crystal xbox and want to add a larger HDD, i have gotten one of these PATA to STAT adapters from ebay.....

and have 2 2.5" SATA HDD's here, a Hitachi (5K500 b-320) 320GB and a WD Scorpio Blue (WD6400BPVT) 640GB drive.

I have used chimp 2.618 to try and clone both of these drivers which the operation seemed to have been successful, but once i have removed the old drive from the xbox and hooked up one of the 2.5 drives (making sure to change the jumper on the PATA 2 SATA adapter back to Master) when i boot the xbox up i get a red and green flashing led on the front of the xbox and the 'xbox requires service' screen.

Looking at the status of the 'lock slave drive' screen within chimp it does appear that the drive appears to be lock compatible....

once i have locked the drive, i have gone back into the 'lock slave driver' screen to see the status of the drive but it still says, 'HDD Locked: No'.

Any ideas on what the issue might be or doesn't the original xbox work with 2.5""
RunsilenT

Post by RunsilenT »

After using Chimp i usually remove the jumper altogether. Maybe the drive cannot be locked?
BlockABoots

Post by BlockABoots »

RunsilenT wrote:After using Chimp i usually remove the jumper altogether. Maybe the drive cannot be locked?
Well the status screen when you lock the drive has...

HDD Lock Capable: YES

so that would suggest that the drive is capable of being locked?

But as i said if i go back to the 'Lock Slave Drive' screen after already having locked the drive it still has...

HDD Locked: No

Has anyone had success getting a 2.5" HDD laptop drive to work as all the guides ive seen have been 3.5" drives?
BlockABoots

Post by BlockABoots »

I got it working now, i went to Maplin and bought a 40/80 pin IDE cable for £3 and all working now! :mrgreen:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/ribbon-ata-166-70cm-a81cx

Guess the factory fitted IDE cable isnt compatible with these new drive speeds, grab em while you can i guess as soon these ide cables will probably be come extinct just like IDE drives
rtwo

Post by rtwo »

Have been reading this topic and have a question.
I have a softmodded 1.6 xbox and want to upgrade the harddrive, bought the sabrent ide to sata adapter, have a used and working wd 200gb sata disc, copied chimp to the xbox and want to hotswap the dvd drive with the new 200gb disc.
Everytime i try the hotswap, the screen on tv gets green and the xbox hangs, tried starting lnly the xbox, als starting chimp etc. Placed the jumper on the sabrent ln all positions and also removed it completly. Even tried to only use the adapter without the drive connected to the adapter, tried a seclnd sabrent adapter, same result, tried it in a hardmodded 1.3 x3ce xbox with a 80 pins cable, same result.
Is it not possible to do a hotswap with the sabrent adapters?, or am i forgetting something?
voc1967

Post by voc1967 »

can someone tell me if this Serial ATA SATA to PATA IDE 133/100 Adapter Converter will work ?

thanks

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320916558332? ... EBIDX%3AIT
scroeffie

Post by scroeffie »

xb part 1.1 works perfect for me does not lock up
voc1967

Post by voc1967 »

scroeffie wrote:xb part 1.1 works perfect for me does not lock up
This is from the 1st post .
XBPartitioner 1.1 has a bug in it where if it detects a partition over 999MB it will lock up therefore you must first use XBPartitioner 1.0 to start as a basis for using XBPartitioner 1.1 that is after you initially format the drive which can be done very easily using the Auto-Installer Deluxe (AID) Software or Slayer’s Evox Auto-Installer.
trev1976

Post by trev1976 »

Im going to give this ago soon with a spare 500gb hdd i have laying around,im going to use the DX extreme adaptor and the maplins cable ..

I fear alot of stress coming :(
Warlock

Post by Warlock »

There is apparently a newer version of XBPartitioner version 1.3 http://goo.gl/Y9ROYN first DL Link is the source code but if you scroll down you will find de compiled version :-)
I used it yesterday to partition & format a 3TB SATA HDD + SATA2PATA adapter . . . no surprise but only 2TB usable. I also used evtool to change the bios IGR method to quick. And all runs fine for now :-)
drickmel

Post by drickmel »

Hello everyone, I'm new to xbox modding.
It's my first time upgrading the HDD as well.
I've been meaning to ask you guys if my hdd is supporte(see attachment), and will this adapter(kingwin):https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002SZDO ... 8FN94BPA9M

work with my hdd? Sorry I'm new to all this, it'll be really easier if I had an ID hdd.
Attachments
_IMG_000000_000000.jpg
IMG_20151025_134344736.jpg