Post by Amigaz »

Good luck and keep us posted ;-)
Xbox Crystal 1.6 chipped
Xbox Crystal Green 1.2 TSOP
Xbox 1.6 softmod
sd_dracula

Re: XBOX 2TB SATA Upgrade Tutorial

Post by sd_dracula »

Hi guys. I need some guidance. Been trying to get my Xbox upgraded with the 2TB SATA drive but got stuck.
I have the Kingwin SATA to IDE bridge and a Seagate ST2000DM001.
Here is what happens:
- I plugged it in, I get some activity LEDs on the Kingwin for 15-20 seconds then it turns solid red.
- I have the PIN removed on the kingwin else it give error 07.
- I have the 3.5.0 Slayer lite DVD in the drive (which was tested working before plugging in the new HDD, I have an 120gb HDD currently in the Xbox)
- The image on the screen is stuck on the Xbox logo with Xecuter2 underneath it.
- The ring light is orange in colour.

Maybe the disc didn't burn right? But it gets detected correct in UnleashX and I can launch it. Burnt it with ImgBurn. Should I burn it with another software?
Any advice?
sd_dracula

Post by sd_dracula »

Burnt the 2.6 version of the disk and got it to load and format with the Large HDD option.
All looks like it works fine but when I reboot I get missing dashboard error and when I FTP all partitions are blank.
Cannot seem to transfer to the drive either.
Am I doing something wrong or the HDD doesn't want to work?
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

sd_dracula wrote:Burnt the 2.6 version of the disk and got it to load and format with the Large HDD option.
All looks like it works fine but when I reboot I get missing dashboard error and when I FTP all partitions are blank.
Cannot seem to transfer to the drive either.
Am I doing something wrong or the HDD doesn't want to work?
You got a 80 wire IDE cable? a lot of adapters cause interference on the default 40 wire and the Xbox doesn't like it.
( yeah some adapters will work, but the usual side effect is long boot times or the DVD drive stops reading discs )

If the 80 wire cable doesn't work then it's the adapter.

• List of known side effects of using a 40 wire cable with most adapters. ( compatible adapters )
    • Long boot times ( 20+ seconds )
      DVD drive refuses to read discs ( can also start clicking )
      Error 13 ( dashboard not found )
      Won't boot with DVD drive connected ( depending on the bios you may get an error 10 or 11 )
    List of known side effects of using a 80 wire cable with all adapters. ( compatible adapters )
    • I don't know any, I personally haven't had any. Nor have I been contacted with an issue. ( YouTube ) Only had this with the 40 wire and I tell them to get an 80 and that fixes there issues.
    And finally if it doesn't boot at all regardless of the cable it's the adapter. You can get various errors, 6, 7, 8, 10 or 11 depending on your bios.
    ( you need the jumper select on the adapters, this isn't so much of a big deal if don't use the DVD drive )
I had one adapter that would take just over 25 seconds to boot with the DVD drive connected when using the 40 wire cable, it would boot instantly without the DVD drive connected, but I needed the drive :? so switched to 80 wire and that fixed the problem. Instant booting and DVD drive :D I also had another adapter that stopped the DVD drive from reading discs, I got a clicking sound instead :shock: again this was with the 40 wire cable, but it did boot instantly :D like before fixed with the 80 wire.

To be honest I don't see why anyone would not use an 80 wire cable there're cheap and also give a slight speed boost to the loading of games and work with every adaptor I have thrown at them. It's a win win.
( just to point out I have had adapters that do not work regardless )

These are the only adapters I will buy now 100% success rate.
Current adapter I use. ( used in my v1.1 TSOP flashes M8+ Xbox )
Startech - note I got mine from eBay
Other adapter I use. ( used in my v1.6 test box and my kids 2 Xbox, all softmodded )
Cheap EBay adapter - must look like the image
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
sd_dracula

Post by sd_dracula »

Thanks for the suggestion Rocky, I think I should have some old 80 wire IDE cables from an old EVGA motherboard somewhere in the house.
Will give that a try and report back :)

Edit: Seems like I can see the partitions now with the 80 pin cable so I will proceed with the guide. Thanks Rocky.
The cable I have is a bit long/short where it needs to be, what is the optimal cable length that goes in the Xbox? 40cm? 45cm?etc
sd_dracula

Post by sd_dracula »

I think I need a BIOS update too because Xbpartitioner was saying LBA48 info not found, custom partitions will not work with this BIOS etc.
20161204_112750.jpg
20161204_113023.jpg
The bios checker on the Evox disc was unable to detect the version.
20161204_115136.jpg
The formatting did not work
20161204_115016.jpg
I have an Xecuter2 mod. But when I have selected the auto installer from the Evox disc, it did format F with all the remaining space up to 2TB. Any reason this will not work/be fine?
What should I do now?
sd_dracula

Post by sd_dracula »

Apparently I need bios at least X2 5035 for the LBA48 support but cannot find any links which are still up for it.
Anyone have the files somewhere on their computers?
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

sd_dracula wrote:Apparently I need bios at least X2 5035 for the LBA48 support but cannot find any links which are still up for it.
Anyone have the files somewhere on their computers?
X2 5035 ( 512kb ) is the minimal released x2 bios that supports the partition table ( LBA48 v3 ) use the M8+ bios instead.

Unless your chip works with 512kb bios.
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
sd_dracula

Post by sd_dracula »

Thanks Rocky.
Any idea where I can find this? Most links are dead due to age.
Currently UnleashX detects the F partition with the remainder of the space up to 2TB. What happens if I leave it like that, without splitting to F and G? Data corruption?
Also I do not remember if the X2 is 256 or 512kb, how can I tell which I have?
hyrulebr

Post by hyrulebr »

Hi

I wrote my problem in other thread but since this one is more active (have posts this year), I´m also writing here. Sorry if it´s againt forum rules (i can edit it if needed).

I upgraded my Hdd to a SATA 1TB. Everything working but after a chunck of data transfered (280GB) I cannot write more on partition F.

What I did:

Evtools (Bios that I used M8 1.00.5838.01)

partition 6 takes the rest of drive
unchecked "ignore hard drive partition table"

After installation of XBMC I use XBpartition 1.3 to format F and G with 450GB each (32k cluster).

I got error after transfered about 280GB in partition F. No more files can be transfered to this partition.

What I did wrong?

Thanks

Mauricio
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

sd_dracula wrote:Thanks Rocky.
Any idea where I can find this? Most links are dead due to age.
Currently UnleashX detects the F partition with the remainder of the space up to 2TB. What happens if I leave it like that, without splitting to F and G? Data corruption?
Also I do not remember if the X2 is 256 or 512kb, how can I tell which I have?
I can send you it if you want. ( all x2 prior to 5035 are 256kb )
http://www.eurasia.nu/modules.php?name= ... 8plus_BIOS
hyrulebr wrote:Hi

I wrote my problem in other thread but since this one is more active (have posts this year), I´m also writing here. Sorry if it´s againt forum rules (i can edit it if needed).

I upgraded my Hdd to a SATA 1TB. Everything working but after a chunck of data transfered (280GB) I cannot write more on partition F.

What I did:

Evtools (Bios that I used M8 1.00.5838.01)

partition 6 takes the rest of drive
unchecked "ignore hard drive partition table"

After installation of XBMC I use XBpartition 1.3 to format F and G with 450GB each (32k cluster).

I got error after transfered about 280GB in partition F. No more files can be transfered to this partition.

What I did wrong?

Thanks

Mauricio
Make sure the partition was formatted correctly, the version of XBP 1.3 kicking about may not actually be v1.3 I had to build the source to get v1.3 as the one labeled 1.3 was v1.2.

But make sure the partition table and cluster size has been written correctly ( there will be no err labels on the extra partitions )

Here is the v1.3 I built from the source.
https://github.com/Rocky5/2016-Softmodd ... p?raw=true
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
hyrulebr

Post by hyrulebr »

Rocky5 wrote:Make sure the partition was formatted correctly, the version of XBP 1.3 kicking about may not actually be v1.3 I had to build the source to get v1.3 as the one labeled 1.3 was v1.2.

But make sure the partition table and cluster size has been written correctly ( there will be no err labels on the extra partitions )

Hi Rocky5

I use the same version. I didn´t remeber whre I downloaded it but it´s the same files, same source folder and size size.

And no error on extra partitions. My F drive have 440GB and I can only write up to 280~290. But I can see in XBMC the extra unused 140GB but I cannot transfer more data.
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

hyrulebr wrote:
Rocky5 wrote:Make sure the partition was formatted correctly, the version of XBP 1.3 kicking about may not actually be v1.3 I had to build the source to get v1.3 as the one labeled 1.3 was v1.2.

Hi Rocky5

I use the same version. I didn´t remeber whre I downloaded it but it´s the same files, same source folder and size size.

And no error on extra partitions. My F drive have 440GB and I can only write up to 280~290. But I can see in XBMC the extra unused 140GB but I cannot transfer more data.
Issues which corruption or files failing to transfer after a certain amount of GB is a cluster issue, hens why I said to make sure they were formatted correctly.

Download Chimp 261812
https://github.com/Rocky5/Chimp261812/a ... master.zip
Inside the E partition folder there is a chimp folder stick that in your apps folder and launch it ( it will auto boot into Chimp ) you should get an error about the slave drive not being able to lock ( that's because your slave drive is a DVD drive ) after it goes away, select option 2 > option 1 you can also use this version of Chimp to format your extra partitions if you want to. ( uses the partition table and correct chunk sizes )
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
hyrulebr

Post by hyrulebr »

Rocky5 wrote:Issues which corruption or files failing to transfer after a certain amount of GB is a cluster issue, hens why I said to make sure they were formatted correctly.

Download Chimp 261812
Inside the E partition folder there is a chimp folder stick that in your apps folder and launch it ( it will auto boot into Chimp ) you should get an error about the slave drive not being able to lock ( that's because your slave drive is a DVD drive ) after it goes away, select option 2 > option 1 you can also use this version of Chimp to format your extra partitions if you want to. ( uses the partition table and correct chunk sizes )
Thanks Rocky5. Chimps really works! Now I can format and use the correct cluster size. Already transfer more than 400GB without error! :D
sd_dracula

Post by sd_dracula »

hyrulebr wrote:
Rocky5 wrote:Issues which corruption or files failing to transfer after a certain amount of GB is a cluster issue, hens why I said to make sure they were formatted correctly.

Download Chimp 261812
Thanks Rocky5. Chimps really works! Now I can format and use the correct cluster size. Already transfer more than 400GB without error! :D
Haven't got a chance to flash the bios on my x2 yet so I could use chimps to format instead of the Xbpartitioner method?
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

sd_dracula wrote:Haven't got a chance to flash the bios on my x2 yet so I could use chimps to format instead of the Xbpartitioner method?
Still requires a LBA48 v3 compliment bios, as it partitions the drive with the partition table.
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
sd_dracula

Post by sd_dracula »

Managed to get the chip flashed with M8+ and was able to use XBpartitioner to run like in the tutorial.

However I do have a few issues:
1. The in game reset seems to do a full reset and then error 07 instead of returning to the dash. Need to power off and restart each time. Need to fix this.
2. For some reason when using UnleashX dash the FTP transfers are very very slow. If I go into Evox seems to be fine.
3. I have enabled use drive G in both UnleashX and Evox dashes but when I FTP to drive G it displays me the exact same files I have on F. How to fix this?
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

sd_dracula wrote:Managed to get the chip flashed with M8+ and was able to use XBpartitioner to run like in the tutorial.

However I do have a few issues:
1. The in game reset seems to do a full reset and then error 07 instead of returning to the dash. Need to power off and restart each time. Need to fix this.
2. For some reason when using UnleashX dash the FTP transfers are very very slow. If I go into Evox seems to be fine.
3. I have enabled use drive G in both UnleashX and Evox dashes but when I FTP to drive G it displays me the exact same files I have on F. How to fix this?
Error 7: HDD is timing out.

1) caused because of your sata adaptor.

2) same as 1.

3) make sure XBP v1.3 is formatting the HDD correctly, or use Chimp 261812. But it could number 1.
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
sd_dracula

Post by sd_dracula »

So I used XBP 1.0 and then 1.1
Then I used the 1kb file test and free space changed accordingly.
Odd how that error was not coming up before with the older X2 BIOS and transfer speeds were just fine.
If I change the reset method will it help?
Is my LBA48 setting wrong? I had left it as it was on the bios file, just changed boot order before flashing.

See below for the M8+ bios settings:
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

sd_dracula wrote:So I used XBP 1.0 and then 1.1
Then I used the 1kb file test and free space changed accordingly.
Odd how that error was not coming up before with the older X2 BIOS and transfer speeds were just fine.
If I change the reset method will it help?
Is my LBA48 setting wrong? I had left it as it was on the bios file, just changed boot order before flashing.

See below for the M8+ bios settings:
https://s23.postimg.org/n44ji44ln/Untitled.png

Image is fine, M8+ will use the onboard partition table unless you tick the box for it ignore it.

Also FTP has nothing to do with the kernel (BIOS) its a dashboard or HDD issue, now that your drive is using its full space instead of being glitchy like before its now more than likely your adaptor that's the issue now.

Also make sure you are using the correct version of the bios, there are 2 versions one for v1.0 to 1.5 "M8plus.bin" and 1 for v1.6/b "M8plus_16.bin".

And never use anything other than Chimp 261811/12 or XBPartitioner v1.3 ( v1.3 fixes the need to use v1 + v1.1 to format the drive )
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5