XBOX 2TB SATA Upgrade Tutorial

fxmech

Re: XBOX 2TB SATA Upgrade Tutorial

Post by fxmech »

You will technically be setting the partition sizes, and they should be split equally. 2 × ~930GB partitions.

Just to ease your mind, XBPartitioner 1.3 will correctly set up 64k clusters, which will be visible on the partition details after a successful format. If it shows as "???" it hasn't been formatted properly.

My 2TB drive is setup as such
E: Dashboard files, game saves, & Apps
F: Emulators (CoinOPs stuff included), all the Xtras packs for them
G: Games, Homebrew, XBMC local media (various unsorted Xbox art, downloads and junk)
XC-3730C

Post by XC-3730C »

I got my 2TB (WD black enterprise class HDD) in my X3 modded xbox, and it seems to work great.

fxmech,

What is your experience with transferring retail games to an XBOX that are RAR compressed? I was thinking of using Xbox ISO Transfer (xit) 1.0, because it claims to do on the fly extraction.

Also, what is a reccomend retail game launcher? I have XBMC as my dash, and I would like box art and info for retail games without having to change the skin (Xbox-Classic).
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

For launching games I just use XBMC.

Games need to be extracted and run by booting the default.xbe. They can also be run via ISO but that process confuses me, as it (used to?) be different on softmodded vs chip/tsop
adamska2020

Post by adamska2020 »

Something I'm confused about here is with the initial physical installation of the new drive. I have a 1GB WD SATA drive with the kingston adapter and an 80 pin IDE cable. I removed the old drive, put in the new cable, and attached the new drive. I had a real copy of Dead or Alive 3 in the drive and turned it on and got the error screen 05.
So I've seen some tutorials where they unplug the IDE cable from the DVD drive and have BOTH HDD's plugged in but I don't see that mentioned in this tutorial. Could someone describe the initial step in more detail? Is my mistake having DOA3 in the drive and not the AID disk?
XC-3730C

Post by XC-3730C »

Did you mean you have a 1TB drive?
adamska2020

Post by adamska2020 »

XC-3730C wrote:Did you mean you have a 1TB drive?
Yes, sorry. 1 TB drive. The LED lights on the kingston adapter turn on but with the game inside the drive, the xbox goes right to the error screen. Do I need to prep the old drive, have them both plugged in, or anything else I'm obviously missing? Or is my WD drive just incompatible with the adapter?
EDIT: I think I've identified the part I'm having trouble understanding. In the tutorial, the author mentions putting the drive into "cable select mode" using "jumpers." I have no idea what that is and google hasn't been super helpful.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

There should be a picture on the hdd to guide you ; you will see some little pins on the same side of the hdd as the cable goes and there is a little plastic bridging thing in there , use a pair of tweezers or something to take it out and move it to the correct position .
Also worth trying the old 40 pin cable too as 80 pin ones can have the wrong set up for Xbox sometimes , worth trying :-)
XC-3730C

Post by XC-3730C »

Kind off topic but where is a good place online to get some 2TB HDDs relatively cheap (not ebay or craigslist)?
adamska2020

Post by adamska2020 »

hawsey wrote:There should be a picture on the hdd to guide you ; you will see some little pins on the same side of the hdd as the cable goes and there is a little plastic bridging thing in there , use a pair of tweezers or something to take it out and move it to the correct position .
Also worth trying the old 40 pin cable too as 80 pin ones can have the wrong set up for Xbox sometimes , worth trying :-)
Okay, so SATA drives do not have these jumpers typically correct? I don't think I've ever seen or dealt with one when I install a HDD in a new PC. So since I'm using an IDE/SATA adapter, the jumper will then be located on the IDE port of the adapter correct? Do I also need to adjust a jumper on the old Xbox HDD? Thank you for reading and helping BTW! I really appreciate it! Info on the OG Xbox is really hard to find sometimes.
XC-3730C

Post by XC-3730C »

SATA drives do not have jumpers, but the SATA to IDE adapter I use does for master and slave
adamska2020

Post by adamska2020 »

You mentioned "move it to the correct position" and is that master or slave position?
Also, will the HDD boot up with only the AID disc or can I test it with a game disc to see if everything is working first before I format it?
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Sorry I haven't used a Sata drive with the converter thing before so best leave that to someone else .
Are you soft mod or mod chip ? If chip , you will just pop it in and boot up a disc like HeXen Rocky5s or Slayers etc and set it up .
If softmod , things are a little more complex .
adamska2020

Post by adamska2020 »

hawsey wrote:Sorry I haven't used a Sata drive with the converter thing before so best leave that to someone else .
Are you soft mod or mod chip ? If chip , you will just pop it in and boot up a disc like HeXen Rocky5s or Slayers etc and set it up .
If softmod , things are a little more complex .
I'm a softmod. I'd ask OP but he hasn't logged in since 2013...Thanks for all help. It's frustrating that I missed the Xbox scene window as a lot of my attempts to find help just end in 404 errors and websites that aren't active anymore.
If I can't find what I need, I'll buy a used IDE drive on ebay and just give up on a huge SATA drive...as much as I hate doing that.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

I would stick with it , there are people on here still who will help .
Are you cloning your drive ? You need to have a locked drive if you are soft mod , you can't just pop it in .
Did you know this part ?
I am going to do my first 2 tb soon so I will keep watching this thread to see how you get there .
adamska2020

Post by adamska2020 »

To lock a drive, is that where the AID and Slayer auto installers come in? The tutorial doesn't mention anything about locked drives but I've seen several that do mention that step. I'll read up more about it but I do not understand what locking a drive means.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Yes , you will need config magic which you can find on Slayers , if you have two consoles you can clone the stock hard drive on to the new one , then lock it using the config magic , that way it will work on your softmod Xbox which needs a locked drive with the right eeprom on it to work :-)

If I were you I would start with following one of the tutorials and if possible a spare old ide drive to practice with until you know what you are doing .
First I would ftp in to your Xbox and take a back up of the eeprom folder because if you loose that you are screwed ...
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

This explains locking and unlocking
http://www.biline.ca/xbox_uxe_hd2.htm
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

hawsey wrote:This explains locking and unlocking
http://www.biline.ca/xbox_uxe_hd2.htm
You will use Chimp to clone your existing stock hdd to your new one then lock the drive .There are good video tutorials on how to do this but I can't find one on YouTube at the minute , but basically if you have another Xbox you use the second one to power your new drive and at the right time you unplug the DVD drive from the one you are modding and plug in the new drive in to its ide cable , use chimp to clone .
I think that's how it goes :-)
adamska2020

Post by adamska2020 »

I'll look up more into this process. Just kind of blows my mind that the original tutorial just completely doesn't mention that. I guess this guide was written for people who are VERY knowledgeable of this process and not for newcomers.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

I've just had a quick look at the tutorial and I think it must mean modchipped when it says modified and therein lies the problem :-)
The soft mod thing definitely makes things a bit more complicated ; with a chip you could have just ( in theory ) stuck in your adapter , new hdd and slayers and away you go .