XBOX 2TB SATA Upgrade Tutorial

RunsilenT

Re: XBOX 2TB SATA Upgrade Tutorial

Post by RunsilenT »

Seagate ST2000DX001 2TB Desktop 3.5 inch SSHD Internal Solid State Hybrid Drive.
The above drive was mis sold to me online, probably just a pick problem at Amazon.
I soft modded a box and gave it a whirl using Chimp 2618 which I dont have any
problems with normally. It didnt recognise the drive on scan no matter what i did with
my sata adaptor jumper etc. As its more expensive than a usual Seagate 2TB I swapped
a 2TB Barracuda out of my pc to get the Xbox away and had no problems. Sorry I have
little knowledge and even less cash to start playing around with the SSHD, just saw it as
a lesson learned my end and decided to give you all a heads up. Idotsfan, I wouldn`t worry
as most people would probably avoid an SSHD Hybrid anyway :)
GTRetro87

Post by GTRetro87 »

Hey guys,

I'm going to need some help on my 2TB barracuda install. I can't get the partitions to stay formatted after building through Slayers 2.7 and then using xbpartitioner 1.3.

Check out my thread here, I've explained every little detail I could: http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewt ... =14&t=3429

It's funny how after rebuilding through slayers, both F and G drives show 995GB available. I'm using the BIOS from slayers - EvoX M8 .67 (for both F and G drives).. and after using XBpartitioner to drop the size to 927.78 in the 2 extended partitions... XMBC shows basically 949 GB available in F, and 0 bytes in G!

..So I'm lost lol. Please help
GTRetro87

Post by GTRetro87 »

I think I found my problem with G not showing up.

According to xman, "Sometime G is there but has no size listed in filemanager in which case you just create a folder like movies or something in it and then it shows up. I have just created a folder called "A" before just to get G drive to mount correctly. It is only needed once and can be deleted afterwards. It will be erased when you recluster G drive anyway."

Maybe I should, in Slayers, Build the HDD - install xbmc and apps in E (and EvoX in C ?) - then XBMC as dash in retail.. THEN create a folder in G drive, and afterwards format in XbPartitioner.. maybe this will make G available in XBMC??

I will post this on my thread as a follow up.
RunsilenT

Post by RunsilenT »

I have a feeling your format issues lie with the Xecuter bios. I had a similar problem when setting partitions, my Xecuter 3 bios Config Live
would overwrite any settings i made with xbpartitioner 3. Im not too familiar with X2 bios or functionality, try holding the white button
on tour gamepad when booting. Goodluck.
GTRetro87

Post by GTRetro87 »

RunsilenT wrote:I have a feeling your format issues lie with the Xecuter bios. I had a similar problem when setting partitions, my Xecuter 3 bios Config Live
would overwrite any settings i made with xbpartitioner 3. Im not too familiar with X2 bios or functionality, try holding the white button
on tour gamepad when booting. Goodluck.

Hmm.. maybe. Well although it is definitely an xecuter 2 chip that I'm using.. the bios is EvoX M8 (option Flash MOD or TSOP v1.x-1.5 EvoX M8 .67 in slayers).. you still think the Xecuter chip will affect formatting?

with the white button when booting, do you mean booting up the xbox itself or xbpartitioner?
GTRetro87

Post by GTRetro87 »

So ..

Here's where I'm at now..

G drive shows nothing in XBMC, and when I FTP into it, only a few drives show and G is missing. However, with the slayers disc in, both F and G show as 995 GB available - AND G is available when I FTP into the Xbox when slayers running.

So this is what I did..

1) I created a folder (called in "A" like xman) and I just copied a random file already in the HDD that is 1.8k in size

2) Then I copied that file into the "A" folder. (I actually put the same folder and file in F drive as well, just to see what would happen)..

3) NOW, after rebooting back into XBMC, I checked my files and the G drive now shows - and both F and G are at 949 GB.

4) I booted up XBPartitioner 1.3 and both partition sizes were at the same (927.78 GB).. so i figured to reduce each drive by 1 GB.. format it, and rebooted the entire xbox - THEN i went back into XBP and UP'ed both drives BACK to 927.78

(I had tried to reformat the partitions in XBP before reducing the size of each partition.. but it made no difference in XBMC, G was still there - so that told me if you don't format with a different partition size than the last time you formatted, no change will happen at all).

5) so after reformatting back to 927.78.. I rebooted and back into XBMC.. G drive went missing - which told me that both folders in F and G were erased, yet G is still unrecognizable by XBMC (or the version slayers 2.7 provides - which yes, I have to update to the new XBMC) - In addition, by FTP'ing into XBMC at this point, G is also unrecognizable (again)

6) after this, I popped in Slayers 2.7 disc.. F and G show 995 GB (surprisingly..?).. then I FTP'd into the xbox.. G drive shows.. copied same folder and 1.8K file to G..... and now XBMC shows the G drive

sorry for all of that, but I find this stuff very interesting. I'm still not sure why both F and G show as 949 GB when they should be 927 GB.. weird

I guess this means that it's good to go????
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

Probably. :) Personally, I use ind-bios and shy away from M8 bios.

Which one did you wind up using now? Sorry GTRetro, too long didn't read all your posts.
GTRetro87

Post by GTRetro87 »

fxmech wrote:Probably. :) Personally, I use ind-bios and shy away from M8 bios.

Which one did you wind up using now? Sorry GTRetro, too long didn't read all your posts.

Haha no worries, I hope it is good now!!

At the moment I'm still using the EvoX M8 .67 bios. I have Gentoox and tried to flash the bios with IND 5004, but nothing happened. I even tried to upload an M8 bios with Gentoox and nothing happened.. So I'm thinking the problem with that was Gentoox itself.

If I start fooling around with the bios, i will have to figure another way to flash it. Either my Gentoox needs updating (not sure), or maybe I can create a flash disk

Either way, F and G both show in XBMC and especially G drive when I FTP (before it was unrecognizable without any file inside it).

Why do you shy away from M8? I'm still learning about the different bios and what each does, but at least I've got this far.
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

I just prefer the "config live" features of x2 5035 or ind-bios 5003-4

To flash your chip you probably will find evox dashboard will work.

... be careful and place the correct files in EvoX/BIOS/foo.bin
XC-3730C

Post by XC-3730C »

I also like that the X2 bios is progressive scan even on the XBOX splash screen. The IND BIOS for me was really slow to boot up.
GTRetro87

Post by GTRetro87 »

but isn't x2 5035 a 512k bios, meant for xbox versions 1.0-1.1?? I have a v1.5

Or do I have to use x2 bios manager and divide 5035 among the 4 banks in order to use it? ..which reminds me, I have a programmer but the only working PC I have at the moment is my laptop (which does not have an LPT port). I have a mac (which has an LPT port) but I need virtual PC to use windows.
XC-3730C

Post by XC-3730C »

I prefer an xbox 1.0/1.1. In your case, you can use m8 or an > 1mb version of X2. HeXEn disc has all you need.
GTRetro87

Post by GTRetro87 »

XC-3730C wrote:I prefer an xbox 1.0/1.1. In your case, you can use m8 or an > 1mb version of X2. HeXEn disc has all you need.

Hmm... well EvoX M8 67 is already flashed and working well so far. But I might give Hexen a look. Thanks for the tip!
Massamo

Post by Massamo »

run into little problem when i hit buttons for rest on controller gives out error message is there anyway to fix this
EDIT: nevermind i fixed it myself
twistedsymphony

Post by twistedsymphony »

I've been banging my head against this for the last week and finally got it up and running today so I thought I would post up what worked/didn't work for me.

I'm using a v1.0 Xbox with a flashed TSOP, it was flashed with X2 setup for 1 big F partition so I re-flashed it with M8 F&G using Slayers 2.7.

I bought a 2TB Seagate Baracuda ST2000DM001 (Thailand manufactured) from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... urobius-20

The WD Green drives were slightly cheaper but I decided on this drive because I had read several reviews stating that the Green drives have a lower lifespan when used in a setup like the original Xbox.

I had an no-name SATA adapter from eBay that looked similar to the kingwin adapter but wasn't at all the same... this didn't work I would get an error 07 whenever the drive was attached using this even if I powered it externally before booting.

I bought a Kingwin ADP-06 adapter from Amazon, and that produced the same results, error 07 no matter what. I tried multiple IDE cables and jumper configurations with both of these adapters to no success.

I bought a Sabrent SBT-STDB adapter from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... urobius-20 this worked first try (jumper removed, 40pin IDE cable).

I used Auto Installer Deluxe to format the the drive... my recommendation is to use this to format C and E but DO NOT use this to format F or G. I then discovered that a new version of XB Partitioner (v1.3) had been released and fixed the bugs with v1.0 and v1.1. I FTPed this into an E:/Apps/Xbpartitioner folder and then ran it from the copy of evox that was now on my c-drive, from here I was able to setup partitions 6 and 7 to take up the maximum each with 64K clusters and format them... If you already had an F or G partition created I would recommend using XB Partitioner to delete these partitions and then reboot and then create them properly.

After formatting I setup the latest XBMC on the E drive but I was getting a hard drive timeout error (E21) just about every time I booted the console, I decided I wanted to switch back to an X2 bios anyway and made a X2 5035 bios setup for F & G Partitions using X2ool. I FTPed this to my C drive and flashed it using evox and since then I have not received an error 21 yet. This bios looks for an ini config file on the hard drive so I suspect that this helps with the drive spin-up. I'm not doing any fancy "hacks" to slow down the boot process. I have the bios set to look for C:/xbmc.xbe and then I have an xbmc.xbe file point to the e:/apps/xbmc/default.xbe file... that's it.

-----

So, to recap...

Things that worked well for me:
-Seagate Baracuda ST2000DM001
-Sabrent Adapter SBT-STDB (with jumper removed)
-40-pin IDE cable
-X2 5035 bios (TSOP flashed v1.0 Xbox)
-Auto Installer Deluxe v4.53
-XB Partitioner v1.3

Things that were flaky for me:
-M8 bios (TSOP flashed v1.0 Xbox)

Things that did not work for me at all:
-Kingwin ADP-06 adapter
-unknown Generic adapters that look similar to kingwin adapter
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Thanks for Sharing :-)
Master Jinroku

Post by Master Jinroku »

I can confirm that the "Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive" works with a v1.6/v1.6b Xbox. I have to use a data to ide adapter and nothing else. I did this on a softmodded xbox.

I used 2 different xboss to set the HDD to the xbox I wanted to apply it to. 1 xbox was to power the hdd and the other was used
To "hotswap" using chimp.

The HDD I used is here.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005T3 ... UTF8&psc=1

The sata to ide adapter I am using to run the xbox with a 2TB hdd can be found here.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004D8 ... UTF8&psc=1

I also used this sata to ide adapter to set the HDD to slave while I used chimp to set the HDD to the Xbox and lock it properly.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ZL ... UTF8&psc=1

To get the xbox running (because of long load time you would normally get an error) I start the xbox with the small power button,
I then wait roughly 7-9 seconds and open the disc tray. The softmod menu may take near 30 seconds+ to fully load to your dash.

I should also note. I am not using any external power source other than the 2nd xbox during the hotswap.
In short nothing is needed to run the 2tb beast of a HDD.

Hope I didn't leave anything out, and I hope this helps people.
Email me if you want more info on what I did exactly.
Or
Private message me either works.
XC-3730C

Post by XC-3730C »

Does it matter which 2TB HDD is used with a TSOP/chip modded XBOX? In my case, I have an X3CE
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

You won't have to worry about locking it.

I have yet to try one that hasn't worked on the X3CE. The adapters will be more of a concern for you. I've swapped the adapters out and had to upgrade the cables to get a couple combinations to boot, but drives by themselves never a hiccup. The x3 bios and all the other bios boot up provided proper settings. Usually the defaults work just fine
XC-3730C

Post by XC-3730C »

fxmech,

Are there any special considerations for partitioning a 2TB drive when using xbpartitioner 1.3 other than setting F and G to use a 64kb cluster size? Should I put all my emus (about 300gb worth, including CoinOps 7, Vision 5, Final Burn legeds, and about 30+ different consoles and portables) on one partition, or split between two (which is what I don't on 500gb drives)?

The SATA to HDD adapter I get has worked in several xbox's with no issues as far as 500gb SATA drives. I just want to finally do a 2TB drive.