XBOX 2TB SATA Upgrade Tutorial

sd_dracula

Re: XBOX 2TB SATA Upgrade Tutorial

Post by sd_dracula »

Is this link ok for XBP 1.3?
Because I tried running Chimp and just rebooted the console so I wasn't able to run it.
Also, should I try quick IGR method instead for the BIOS?
What could be causing F and G to be shown as mirrors though? The dash I'm using? Both partitions look ok spacewise on the AID Evox dash.
I think the slow FTP is due to the fact I put the UnleashX dash on C and it used to be on F in the past. Will move it to F and see if it makes a difference and also add it to the last of the boot order.
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

sd_dracula wrote:Is this link ok for XBP 1.3?
Because I tried running Chimp and just rebooted the console so I wasn't able to run it.
Yes that version if the correct one, just make sure it actually formats, some times it doesn't work and you get err displayed on XBP extra partitions.
Also what version of Chimp did you use?
sd_dracula wrote:Also, should I try quick IGR method instead for the BIOS?
Haven't a clue what your on about here sorry.
sd_dracula wrote:What could be causing F and G to be shown as mirrors though? The dash I'm using? Both partitions look ok spacewise on the AID Evox dash.
Again I think its your adaptor, we have tried everything else and yet you still have issues and the only things you haven't changed is the HDD or the adaptor.
sd_dracula wrote:I think the slow FTP is due to the fact I put the UnleashX dash on C and it used to be on F in the past. Will move it to F and see if it makes a difference and also add it to the last of the boot order.
Nothing to do with where the dashboard is located.
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
sd_dracula

Post by sd_dracula »

The IGR method set in the BIOS as per my previous screen is set to Compatible.
Should I try Quick instead?

I have used Chimp to format F and G and it seems like the mirroring has gone away. UnleashX is still slow at FTPing but Evox works fine so I'm just using that to FTP stuff over.

Will probably need to use the Xbox Shortcut method to slow down the boot process and avoid error 07 as that still happens.
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

sd_dracula wrote:The IGR method set in the BIOS as per my previous screen is set to Compatible.
Should I try Quick instead?

I have used Chimp to format F and G and it seems like the mirroring has gone away. UnleashX is still slow at FTPing but Evox works fine so I'm just using that to FTP stuff over.

Will probably need to use the Xbox Shortcut method to slow down the boot process and avoid error 07 as that still happens.
More compatible reboots the xbox, quick just released the dashboard from the bios boot order.

I always use quick.
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
kinjo

Post by kinjo »

i'm looking for a new 1TB HDD,
can anyone help me to find the best one?
kinjo

Post by kinjo »

I found this article on google
http://www.deskdecode.com/top-best-1tb- ... y-updated/
and they suggest me to buy wd.
how about that?
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

kinjo wrote:I found this article on google
http://www.deskdecode.com/top-best-1tb- ... y-updated/
and they suggest me to buy wd.
...if you want a laptop drive.
For a desktop (3.5") drive then the article recommends a Seagate 1TB FireCuda ST1000DX002
sd_dracula

Post by sd_dracula »

Hi Rocky,
Got to about 460gb free on F: and now the dash keeps crashing on me when I try to FTP stuff over.
Any idea what's up?
Is there a way to transfer the files directly to the Xbox HDD connected to my PC because FTP takes forever even at 100mbs.
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

sd_dracula wrote:Hi Rocky,
Got to about 460gb free on F: and now the dash keeps crashing on me when I try to FTP stuff over.
Any idea what's up?
Is there a way to transfer the files directly to the Xbox HDD connected to my PC because FTP takes forever even at 100mbs.
Yeah change the adaptor, we have exhausted everything else.

With a fully compatible adaptor you should never get error 7, you should get a normal boot process and all HDD space is accessible.
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
sd_dracula

Post by sd_dracula »

Yeah will order a new one.
Which do you suggest?
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

sd_dracula wrote:Yeah will order a new one.
Which do you suggest?
http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewt ... 200#p36671
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
sd_dracula

Post by sd_dracula »

The Startech one in your link says it has been replaced by this one: https://www.startech.com/uk/HDD/Adapter ... r~IDE2SAT2
Would that do also? Or you haven't tested

Found this on ebay: http://www.ebay.ie/itm/TR1359-IDE2SAT2- ... SwLqFV8zRv
Seems the same.
Guilty

Post by Guilty »

Hi, I joined the forum here because I'm confused about this thread. A few questions:

1) The original post mentions that the WD Green is very compatible with the Xbox, but he also talks about them not being good. I have a WD Green 2TB with the auto-parking disabled using wdidle3. So it ought to work for this, right?

2) My Xbox is softmodded. I think this means I do not have a special BIOS, which I think means I do not have LBA48 support. Yet the first post mentions softmodded boxes can do this anyways. ...I'm fine, right?

3) I can't find any useful information online about creating bootable discs for the Xbox. I've successfully burned Auto Installer Deluxe, and when I put it into my softmodded Xbox it will boot... but only with the stock hard drive attached. Doesn't that mean I can't use AID to format and partition my drive? What do I do?

4) The Kingwin adapter is the one I'm using, and as mentioned in the thread there's no settings to make it slave or master or cable select. The only jumper on the damned thing is "IDE to SATA" or "SATA to IDE" which makes absolutely no sense to me. I have no idea what position this jumper needs to be in.

5) Is there any reason to use a 40 pin IDE cable over the 80 pin? Does it matter what kind of 80 pin IDE cable you use? I don't understand the information I'm finding about UDMA-133, so I have no idea if my cable is compatible or no.

EDIT: I have now TSOPped my box with EvoX (had no idea it was so easy). Something went strange with the HeXEn disc when I was cleaning out the softmod though... It failed to delete something, and didn't say what it was. My bios flashing seems to have gone correctly though...? Now I have attached my WD Green and Kingwin, and I made it into Autoinstaller Deluxe... But, for some reason a lot of the fonts are corrupted. The screensaver text that floats around the screen and all the fonts in FileExplorer are garbage, as well as a lot of the dialogues. It did in fact detect that the drive was new and it formatted it, but since the file structure looked weird in my FTP I tried reformatting it to EXFAT and then booted up AID again. But now it doesn't even detect that the drive isn't FATX. This scares me a lot. I am worried that I broke the old drive, new drive, possibly the BIOS flash, maybe even the AID disc. I have no idea where to go here.

EDIT2: More information: the font is only garbled if the 2TB drive is in place. The stock one behaves normally. I have reformatted the 2TB drive (this time by writing zeroes to it) and then put it into the Xbox again, and I sucessfully got the 'UnleashX has detected a new disc' message. It's been formatted again but I still have corrupted text. I can at least see good looking folders through FTP though. Using FileManager off of AID I can browse to the file that I'm 80% sure is Xbpartitioner 1.0, and when I launch it I get a red ring and an error code.

EDIT3: Font is still garbled but I've managed to make it into XBPartitioner 1.0 and 1.1. I hope that my gift for following directions didn't fail me. I now have the partitions formatted correctly I think. But if I try to boot my xbox without the AID disc, it goes to error code 13. I hope that installing a dashboard to random drives will rescue me.

EDIT4: Everything is ok. I tried reformatting the drive while using an 80 core 40 pin IDE cable and all my problems appear to be solved. I still get no sound in the UnleashX dashboard but I think that has to do with my AID disc somehow. No corrupted text, boots to XBMC just fine. So if anyone comes across this, the moral of my gigantic story is that the 80-core 40-pin IDE replacement cable is 100% necessary.
blaeker18

Post by blaeker18 »

Hello, using the sabrent adapter with a 2tb hard drive. I get a lot of error reading games. Is there any solution ?.
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

Guilty wrote:Hi, I joined the forum here because I'm confused about this thread. A few questions:

1) The original post mentions that the WD Green is very compatible with the Xbox, but he also talks about them not being good. I have a WD Green 2TB with the auto-parking disabled using wdidle3. So it ought to work for this, right?

2) My Xbox is softmodded. I think this means I do not have a special BIOS, which I think means I do not have LBA48 support. Yet the first post mentions softmodded boxes can do this anyways. ...I'm fine, right?

3) I can't find any useful information online about creating bootable discs for the Xbox. I've successfully burned Auto Installer Deluxe, and when I put it into my softmodded Xbox it will boot... but only with the stock hard drive attached. Doesn't that mean I can't use AID to format and partition my drive? What do I do?

4) The Kingwin adapter is the one I'm using, and as mentioned in the thread there's no settings to make it slave or master or cable select. The only jumper on the damned thing is "IDE to SATA" or "SATA to IDE" which makes absolutely no sense to me. I have no idea what position this jumper needs to be in.

5) Is there any reason to use a 40 pin IDE cable over the 80 pin? Does it matter what kind of 80 pin IDE cable you use? I don't understand the information I'm finding about UDMA-133, so I have no idea if my cable is compatible or no.

EDIT: I have now TSOPped my box with EvoX (had no idea it was so easy). Something went strange with the HeXEn disc when I was cleaning out the softmod though... It failed to delete something, and didn't say what it was. My bios flashing seems to have gone correctly though...? Now I have attached my WD Green and Kingwin, and I made it into Autoinstaller Deluxe... But, for some reason a lot of the fonts are corrupted. The screensaver text that floats around the screen and all the fonts in FileExplorer are garbage, as well as a lot of the dialogues. It did in fact detect that the drive was new and it formatted it, but since the file structure looked weird in my FTP I tried reformatting it to EXFAT and then booted up AID again. But now it doesn't even detect that the drive isn't FATX. This scares me a lot. I am worried that I broke the old drive, new drive, possibly the BIOS flash, maybe even the AID disc. I have no idea where to go here.

EDIT2: More information: the font is only garbled if the 2TB drive is in place. The stock one behaves normally. I have reformatted the 2TB drive (this time by writing zeroes to it) and then put it into the Xbox again, and I sucessfully got the 'UnleashX has detected a new disc' message. It's been formatted again but I still have corrupted text. I can at least see good looking folders through FTP though. Using FileManager off of AID I can browse to the file that I'm 80% sure is Xbpartitioner 1.0, and when I launch it I get a red ring and an error code.

EDIT3: Font is still garbled but I've managed to make it into XBPartitioner 1.0 and 1.1. I hope that my gift for following directions didn't fail me. I now have the partitions formatted correctly I think. But if I try to boot my xbox without the AID disc, it goes to error code 13. I hope that installing a dashboard to random drives will rescue me.

EDIT4: Everything is ok. I tried reformatting the drive while using an 80 core 40 pin IDE cable and all my problems appear to be solved. I still get no sound in the UnleashX dashboard but I think that has to do with my AID disc somehow. No corrupted text, boots to XBMC just fine. So if anyone comes across this, the moral of my gigantic story is that the 80-core 40-pin IDE replacement cable is 100% necessary.
I always say 80 wire always when using sata adaptors as the 40 wire one causes to may problems with most adaptors and use XBPartitioner 1.3.

Also your sound issues is because the MSDash Audio folder is missing from C.
blaeker18 wrote:Hello, using the sabrent adapter with a 2tb hard drive. I get a lot of error reading games. Is there any solution ?.
Use a 80 wire IDE cable if you aren't already.
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
blaeker18

Post by blaeker18 »

Thanks for answering Rocky5. Use an 80-wire cable, but the problem persists. Has anyone used the sabrent adapter?.
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

blaeker18 wrote:Thanks for answering Rocky5. Use an 80-wire cable, but the problem persists. Has anyone used the sabrent adapter?.
I have never heard of it, when googling all I get it USB IDE to SATA converters?

Do you have a some pics?
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
blaeker18

Post by blaeker18 »

Rocky5 The adapter that I use is the one mentioned here at the beginning.

The Sabrent board features (from the back of the box);

Supports any type of SATA Device (DVD, DVD-RAM, MO, CD-ROM, CD-RW, Hard Disk, …..)
48 bits LBA can Break Capacity Limit to Support HDD larger then 137GB
Mini Board Size (75mmx26mm), No Wasted Space
Complaint with Serial ATA 1.0a specifications
Support Spread Spectrum in receiver
Complaint with ATA specifications
Compatible with Ultra ATA 133/100/66/33
100% hardware bridge converter to support PC, MAC and Linux environment

blaeker18

Post by blaeker18 »

Hi. The RXD-629A7-7 adapter is compatible with the xbox? It is similar to JP103-5.

XC-3730C

Post by XC-3730C »

What SATA adapter is recommended so I don't have to use an 80 pin IDE cable?